BC Boards

Having Sadie Spaded ,What to expect??

No offense intended, but it's "spayed", not "spaded". Mine have always done fine and wanted to get back to running and playing way before the vet would like. The dogs handle it fine, the hard part is keeping them quiet afterwards.

Hi Sadie's mom - now don't laugh - but I put a pair of boxer shorts on the dog when he came home. Put on so that the tail went out the slit. The dog looked funny - but took the issue of trying to get trying to chew out of the picture. Everytime we looked at the dog we smiled. :rolleyes:

Ditto Shoofly. They seem to do pretty well pretty quickly. She will want to get back to hernormal routine, you just get the great job of keeping a BC quiet. Good luck! You should do a board search on mental enrichment. A lot of great ideas have come on this board.

I just took my Bess for nice quiet uneventful walks and tried to keep her from jumping. She didn't try to chew stitches there, but she had just had an accident with a dew claw so we had those removed at the same time and she did a lot more licking and trying to chew her front paws than spay site. She really bouced back quickly. I did rememberf to take the dodge neon which sits very low to the ground for her to ride in rather than our truck.

Sadie's Mom,

When Skye was spayed years ago, she was very groggy afterwards and quite wobbly. Hence, both of us went to get her and I sat with her in the back seat with my arm around her; she didn't feel comfortable lying down right away (with her stitches and all) so my sitting next to her helped keep her upright :rolleyes: I know, I know -- more for my benefit than hers I'm sure....

When we got home, she slept for a long time. She's always been very soft however (plus she was under one year old), so your Sadie might not respond the same way and may bounce back more quickly.

It's true. The real challenge is keeping them on-leash and/or relatively quiet for a week or two afterwards.

Good luck -- all will be well.

Ailsa

P.S. Oh yeah, and you'll have to lift her in and out of the car for a bit, so as Marty mentioned, take a low-rider if possible -

Definitely keep her from jumping a lot. Our Belle ended up with a large incisional hernia and had to go BACK to the operating room a few weeks later -- not what we had hoped for her at all. She's an older girlie, but it DOES happen.

Hi Sadie's mom - now don't laugh - but I put a pair of boxer shorts on the dog when he came home. Put on so that the tail went out the slit. The dog looked funny - but took the issue of trying to get trying to chew out of the picture. Everytime we looked at the dog we smiled. :rolleyes:

I used a t-shirt for the dog I had that chewed her stitches. I pinned it in place with baby safety pins. She looked pretty funny but it worked. I would never have thought of boxers. That's funny.

I used a t-shirt for the dog I had that chewed her stitches. I pinned it in place with baby safety pins. She looked pretty funny but it worked. I would never have thought of boxers. That's funny.

Just had my Lexi spayed last week and it was a very, very long week enduring those sad eyes that didn't understand why we were not playing all the time!!! I did get her one of those toy balls that spits out the treats at random when they roll around. I took 1/4 of her meal and put it in there and it kept her entertained for a while. We took a LOT of short walks. She is a jumper when she greets you so we all had to get down on the ground when she came running. I had to walk in front of her up and down the stairs in order for her not to CHARGE up/down. After one day, she was very ready mentally to get back at it. She wore one of those silly collars which she rammed into me and everything else constantly. I took it off today and she practically melted into my lap with satisfaction. I can only imagine how cumbersome that was for her. She seems to be much more interested in the area where they shaved her fur for the IV than the stiches area. I am worried that I will wake up to a problem tomorrow morning with her having done something to the stiches area. She had disolvable stitches so I hope she can't do too much harm.

Yeah, I am ranting but this seems to be as good a place as any to talk about trying to keep a border collie calm. Next to impossible and a very long next 2 weeks for clearance to jump and catch those beloved frisbees....

Hi everyone! I had my girl spayed today..Boy what an adventure! It was worse for us then her. My vet makes us drop off in the morning and pick up about 5ish..We lifted her into the SUV and out..We have alot of steps so she is being carried up and down. She's pretty groggy but when it was time to pee she moved! I was suprpised.All she's doing is sleeping.I'm more upset about it then her.So far no trying to bother her stitches. But she has thrown up 2x's and won't eat or drink anything yet.Hopefully tomorrow she will.

post-9177-1236310783_thumb.jpg