BC Boards

Jackson's trial became my tribulation!

I know everyone is anxiously awaiting news! Well, about 20 miles from destination, (I had driven about 70miles), a big billow of white smoke comes pouring out the back of my truck. Uhoh, that means oil, not good. I slowed down and it stopped. Then it did it again! I pulled over and the white smoke was pouring out from everywhere under the hood! Thought we were on fire! Opened hood and it was steam! Yahoo, but from where? Please be a hose! A young man who was obviously raised right, stopped to help. He ran back to the next town and refilled the water jug I had for Jackson and bought a gal. of more water. I gave him the money. He came back, we found the leak, fixed it, finally I am on my way, 2hrs late! Too late to run! ARGH!!! So we stay and watch the rest of the trials. Saw some awesome dogs and handlers. Had a great time! On the way home, about half way, I pass two trucks following each other and up flies some old sheet metal roofing with wood attached! It hit my truck window! I closed my eyes! When I opened them, the window was fine! Whew! But it happened just before a red light and since I was stopped decided to get out for a quick look. Yep, dented the metal of the roof right above window. Called the cops for an incident report. On our way home. And we made it without further incident!

I'm staying home tomorrow!

NOT!

OMG! I'm soooo glad ya'll are ok! Are you still running tomorrow? Hopefully the only trial will be with the sheep!!!

Thanks y'all! It was just "one of them days"!

Yes, JoeAnne, I'm gonna try again tomorrow. I can't wait to see what happens next! :rolleyes:

Oh, and I should add how proud I was of Jackson! Through it all, he was so patient! Just hung in there like a trooper! Speaking of which he made fast friends with during the incident report! All parties commented on how well behaved and friendly he was! So, guess I got some kudos for him after all!

Argh, rotten car :rolleyes: .

I got distracted by going to a concert and forgot to keep my fingers crossed! :eek: I'll try and remember today! :D Good luck!

Nice tomato in the other thread, Linda. How was your trial yesterday?

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet as far as moving up. I could move up a level and keep doing arena. The arena does have a practical approach I guess and tests closer work, but I'd rather get out on the Novice field. I think we are still some ways away from that though (due to my handling--I've seen her do the distance and most of the elements when my instructor has worked her). So I might just keep training her for both. My "puppy" (18+ months) will be back from the trainer's next week, and I'll be spending my time working with her too, and I think she might be closer to ready for me to handle on the Novice field.

I guess I have no idea what I'm going to do, yet.

Megan, I can totally relate to that!

The trial was a total train wreck! But as I replayed it all the way home, I see where I messed him up! That is harder to deal with than for the dog to mess up I think. He went straight to the sheep, and instead of getting him under control, I let it play out. I know what a BIG mistake that was! Instead of making sure he did what I wanted him to do, I let him get his own footing and we just sorta finished. But it was a great learning experience! I know now that the "finish" is not the thing to be concerned about. It is about working together and getting what does get done, done right! Jeeze, hind sight, what a wonderful and lousy thing! But it is not the end! We will be ready for novice and it will probly be a mess at first too, but it will improve, so here we go.....

Hey, that was my husband that made the bowling comment! :)I gave him an elbow in the ribs for that.

I thought the beginner novice folks did a great job, and I thought everyone was really supportive of each other.

When I came off the novice field this weekend, I told everyone all mistakes were "operator error", not the dogs!!

Hope to see you at another trial in the future!

Jennifer

Wow! I didn't know someone from the boards was there! LOL Don't worry! I knew the comment was in good nature! And a good description! :rolleyes: And yes, they all did good! Everyone was great. I thought it was pretty cool that some of the experienced handlers went over to watch and give support. Hey, are you going to the one in Townville in Oct? At Carol Anne and Jon's? We are suppose to do our first N/N there. I will be sure to warn your husband to watch for elbows when we run! :D

How did you do?

I had a really good weekend with both dogs. My male placed 3rd and 5th (N/N) and my female placed 2nd and 1st (N/N) to clinch the end of the year title. I was so proud! And my son (you remember the toddler in the cowboy hat roping everyone in sight) stood on a chair and held out his left arm and yelled "COME BYE!" to direct any dog that would listen--I'm so proud he's learning his directional commands too

I also got to scribe on Sat. during the open ranch class; that was fantastic for learning too.

I hope to make it to Jon and Carol Anne's--my goal is to move the dogs to PN by then...we'll see!