BC Boards

Gas burners and Grinch feet

Kip has lovely, dainty, elegant feet, with long tufts of fur that grow out from between the pads both on the bottoms, as well as long curls of fur extending forward from between the center two toes on top. We call them his Grinch feet, since they look a bit like the paws of the Dr. Seuss character.

Kip does not countersurf as a rule. But, this morning, some demon possessed him to stand up against the counter along the cooktop where DH had just put the teakettle on. The way the cooktop is placed in the peninsula, a collie leaning on his elbows brings the ends of the Grinch fur on his front toes just into the flame of the burner, especially if it is turned on high under a teakettle.

I noticed when Kip came upstairs that the ends of his toefur on his left front paw were brown. I assumed it was just some sort of mud or grunge, as all the snow is melting and the yard and sidewalks are terribly muddy right now...and Kip is altogether scruffy looking at the moment.

Until DH came up behind and asked if Kip's paw was okay after toasting it.

The fur is singed, but the toes are okay. I am hoping this was a reinforcing shot of negative feedback on countersurfing for Kip. :rolleyes:

When I first brought my rescued laboratory dog home.. she had no clue about most things in a house. She ended up licking the hot inside part of the oven door when I was trying to rotate a lasagna... picture me running around after a really freaked out dog with ice cubes melting in my hand trying to apply them to her poor singed little tongue.... It is still black at the tip... for the life of us... we can't remember if it was black before or just after the mishap.

S.

She ended up licking the hot inside part of the oven door when I was trying to rotate a lasagna... picture me running around after a really freaked out dog with ice cubes melting in my hand trying to apply them to her poor singed little tongue.

Ouch, I shouldn't laugh, but it's just the thing that I have been afraid of happening at home. When Senneca was new she came sniffing when the oven door was opened; I have finally convinced her that the kitchen is not a good place to be when I am baking bread.

When I first brought my rescued laboratory dog home.. she had no clue about most things in a house. She ended up licking the hot inside part of the oven door when I was trying to rotate a lasagna... picture me running around after a really freaked out dog with ice cubes melting in my hand trying to apply them to her poor singed little tongue.... It is still black at the tip... for the life of us... we can't remember if it was black before or just after the mishap.

S.

LOL :rolleyes: That brings back memories of my last dog. That's when she finally learned the meaning of the word hot. I shouldn't laugh, but sometimes things just need to be learned the hard way be fore they get reinforced.

Ouch! But I'll bet he won't do that again! Those cute little tufts of hair between his pads should be trimmed off, however, as part of regular brushing and grooming. They trap all kinds of itty bitty things between the pads that can cause irritation between the toes, and ultimately lameness. Snowballs in winter are a common problem here when the snow is wet rather than powdery. But we have all kinds of vegatation that produce irritating little seeds. The less hair on the bottom of theri feet, the safer they are. It is cute, but can cause problems. Singing too near the stove is a new one, however!

Kathy Robbins