BC Boards

Two Health Related Questions

Jasmine's owner

Hello,

I have a couple of questions about Jasmine (whose puppies are almost 4 weeks old, and doing great!).

1. Jasmine has some really, really bad breath. I know she's cleaning up the pups' pee and poo...but it's soooo bad! Any suggestions about how to freshen her breath? I can't stand to have her too close to my face ... ICK.

2. Jasmine is spotting w/blood. It seems the discharge stopped (the brownish colored stuff) after about two weeks. Now we're noticing blood spots occassionally....and I'm not sure why. Should we contact the vet?

Thanks for any answers/suggestions you can offer. I appreciate all of your support!

Pictures coming soon....

Kristin

Hello,

I have a couple of questions about Jasmine (whose puppies are almost 4 weeks old, and doing great!).

1. Jasmine has some really, really bad breath. I know she's cleaning up the pups' pee and poo...but it's soooo bad! Any suggestions about how to freshen her breath? I can't stand to have her too close to my face ... ICK.

2. Jasmine is spotting w/blood. It seems the discharge stopped (the brownish colored stuff) after about two weeks. Now we're noticing blood spots occassionally....and I'm not sure why. Should we contact the vet?

Thanks for any answers/suggestions you can offer. I appreciate all of your support!

Pictures coming soon....

Kristin

#1 - I couldn't tell you! lol

But #2...any dog I have had by the time pups are 4 weeks they have definitely cleaned. You might want to have her checked, you don't want a uterine infection....

Pics will be cute! :rolleyes:

#1. I'm guessing - and ONLY guessing here - that her breath is due to her, um, new duties.

The only thing I could suggest is adding Oxyfresh to the water - it won't be an overnight cure, and may not help much, but should help some. Another newer product is Dog Essentials Healthy Mouth - I haven't used this, haven't asked my vet about it, and would be interested if anyone else has tried it. [They did a "test" on it - but with greyhounds, who have pretty soft/bad mouths anyway...]

#2. I don't know but would sure be having her checked out. Hopefully this has stopped!

diane

Jasmine went to the vet yesterday....she does have an infection in her mammory glands, and likely an infection that is causing her to spot blood. We have her on antibiotics, and are supposed to keep her from the pups (as far as allowing them to nurse). She pretty much doesn't want them to nurse anyway, so that's not been too bad. We are now preparing "mush" from dry food & hot water in the blender 4-5 times per day. Jasmine will have surgery to be spayed as soon as her milk dries up -- within 2 weeks.

The pups turned 4 weeks old yesterday! Here are just a few adorable pics for you to enjoy....

Kristin

post-9594-1233782334_thumb.jpg

post-9594-1233782355_thumb.jpg

post-9594-1233782363_thumb.jpg

post-9594-1233782401_thumb.jpg

Those are absolutely adorable puppies!

Curious... Have you found potential homes for any of them yet? Are you planning on keeping any?

The good news is...we've already got 9 potential homes (and only 8 pups). It seems most people that have seen pictures or have stopped to visit tell us they will take one! :-) We aren't sure if we'll keep one or not (long story). The white one seems to be able to see, but we're still not sure about her hearing.

post-9594-1233784486_thumb.jpg

post-9594-1233784509_thumb.jpg

post-9594-1233784545_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if her garbage breath cleared up after a day or so on the antibiotics. The pups are so cute! :rolleyes:

I love that the little white one is always wrestling with a sibling. They look so cute and healthy, good for Jasmine on doing such a great job. I have had breast infections and they suck large! (pardon the pun... couldn't help myself)

Give Jasmine a good snuggle for me and if I remember correctly warm compresses, hot baths and cabbage leaves were supposed to provide relief.... but didn't do enough.

Sara