BC Boards

Comfy Cone

Hi all,

After reading posts concerning surgeries/injuries. It got me to thinking of next month when Jake goes in for the BIG SNIP! Poor guy! :rolleyes: Having only owned cats that have been spayed or neutuered cone collars weren't ever used. I think we were just lucky with our females, then never pulled at their stitches. Also, during my reading.... it sounds that neutering a dog is going to be a much bigger deal than a cat. It looks as though a cone collar is going to be needed during Jake's recovery. I stumbled across Comfy Collar and wanted to to if anyone has used it and how well or poorly it worked.

Thank you for your input.

Sara and Jake

post-9493-1232128843_thumb.jpg

I haven't tried that one, but I've tried other types of "soft" collars. They typically don't work too well, especially for a neuter. It'd be pretty easy to squish the cone out of the way to get to the sutures. That being said, I almost never have to cone a dog that gets neutered. They *usually* don't bug those sutures much. So, you may not even need a cone.

I wouldn't worry too much! We've had three males neutered (one at 6 months, one at 2 years and one at 5 years) and none of them even looked at the stitches. Our females have all been spayed at 6 months and have never had a problem with licking or bothering the stitches. Of course, we do have an awesome vet!

Barb S

My Kelly had a tissue reaction to the wire they used to stitch her up. A good vet though.

So she was constantly at it. I tried the eliza....collar and she hated it. Then I found a round

donut collar that you can inflate and it worked great. She didn't mind too much.

You won't need a cone, and actually licking is a quick cleaning method and actually helps the healing process, I have had several dogs that have had to get stitches or been neutered and never once had a problem with them trying to pull the stitches out.

Steve

Absolutely you should use a cone. I've seen some pretty serious damage done by determined lickers. Most will just slow the healing way down, and a rare few will get determined enough they actually cause greated damage.

Agree that is is "natural" to lick, but since it's not natural to have your parts snipped we have have to adapt for safety.

You won't need a cone, and actually licking is a quick cleaning method and actually helps the healing process, I have had several dogs that have had to get stitches or been neutered and never once had a problem with them trying to pull the stitches out.

Steve

Except for front foot and eye injuries we use the BiteNot Collar. For eye injuries I think a good hard cone collar in the safest, and its the only collar that keeps them away from their front feet.

I just looked at a website with a photo of the BiteNot. I will definately keep in mind when the eventual day comes for Jake to need a cone collar.

Thanks!

My dog got neutered just a day or two before I got him, and he never used a collar. However, he did later impale himself on a stick, and needed to keep his mouth away from his lower chest. This inflatable donut collar worked well for that, though I'm not sure it would have kept him away from a neuter. Something to consider trying, if you can borrow one from a friend:

Stitches22508B.jpg

Mary

Guest maya's mom

We also used the blue inflatable collar pictured. Ours was for a spay, but it worked great, and gave Maya much more freedom to go about her daily activities. The first night we brought her home after the surgery. We couldn't even get her in her crate with that huge cone collar! So, the inflatable collar got bought, along with a bigger crate!

We also used the blue inflatable collar pictured. Ours was for a spay, but it worked great, and gave Maya much more freedom to go about her daily activities. The first night we brought her home after the surgery. We couldn't even get her in her crate with that huge cone collar! So, the inflatable collar got bought, along with a bigger crate!

I mentioned in another thread that we dont use collars on any of our spays or neuters but, we did use the E collar with eye repairs. We have Bite not collars if needed and they work well but, the dog can still get them off. We had a dog with a Fx'd leg repair remove an ecollar before the bill was paid so, some are really determined.

I saw that soft collar and thought it was neat but, pricey. If we get one at dog.com outlet I'll give it a test for you.

I saw that soft collar and thought it was neat but, pricey. If we get one at dog.com outlet I'll give it a test for you.

Thanks! That's kind of you. I hope to have to not use one, but we will do whatever is necessary to aid in his recovery. No matter what the injury or surgery. Hopefully there will not be many over the course of his life. From reading some of these post, that seems very unlikely! :rolleyes:

I would opt to buy the donut collar and keep it on hand. My Kelly managed to pull out a wire

stitch! The collar went on and there were no more problems. And as said before it made a great

pillow. When I was home and had her next to me I would deflate it some. When I had to be away

I inflated it to where she couldn't get to the stitches. Mine was only about 20 bucks at Petsmart.