BC Boards

So we did one of those DNA tests on Bonnie...

Hi all, I introduced Bonnie and myself a while ago. Just for fun (and because I got it at a half price off sale...) we also tried one of those DNA tests kits on Bonnie :rolleyes: Now I know these tests are not very reliable and have read about some funny results from other people on here... But anyway, Bonnie's results are in and I thought I'd share!!

First off, this is the young lady in question. Originally from a shelter somewhere in WV..., adopted as a "BC mix":

IMG_1173.jpg

She is....

a Level 2 Border Collie (i.e. 37-74% of her DNA) :D

She allegedly is also, and here the weirdness begins (we always thought maybe Beagle, or something Terrier-like...):

a Level 3 (20-36%) Saluki :D

a Level 4 (10-19%) Collie, and a Level 4 English Springer Spaniel

a Level 5 (less than 10%) Weimaraner :D

oh now, I've heard there's a lot of Salukis running loose in West Virginia...

Susan

I'm anxiously awaiting mine also since I took part in the 1/2 off sale. I tested my dog sugar and a pup from the rescue that we have no clue on.

The things I expect to see on Sugars are aussie, border collie, possibly golden and an ouside chance of Great Pyr.

The pup at the rescue is supposed to have some bc in her. I dont see it but, I did see a dog at another shelter who looks like her father and he was turned in as a bc mix.

Still not seeing it.

I'm checking my mail everyday.

I wonder if you get a strange answer if it's from a dog they dont have the genetic match for.

Cute dog BTW.

I'm anxiously awaiting mine also since I took part in the 1/2 off sale. I tested my dog sugar and a pup from the rescue that we have no clue on.

The things I expect to see on Sugars are aussie, border collie, possibly golden and an ouside chance of Great Pyr.

The pup at the rescue is supposed to have some bc in her. I dont see it but, I did see a dog at another shelter who looks like her father and he was turned in as a bc mix.

Still not seeing it.

I'm checking my mail everyday.

I wonder if you get a strange answer if it's from a dog they dont have the genetic match for.

Cute dog BTW.

Yes, they say you are likely to get a strange result if they don't have the breed in their data base. I'm not taking the results as set in stone either :D

By the way, I sent mine off the week before Christmas, and would have gotten the results probably already a few days ago (it went back to them because they could not read my handwriting :rolleyes: ) Let us know what your results were (with photos?)?

IMG_1173.jpg

She is....

a Level 2 Border Collie (i.e. 37-74% of her DNA) :D

She allegedly is also, and here the weirdness begins (we always thought maybe Beagle, or something Terrier-like...):

a Level 3 (20-36%) Saluki :rolleyes:

a Level 4 (10-19%) Collie, and a Level 4 English Springer Spaniel

a Level 5 (less than 10%) Weimaraner :D

Apart from what others said about wandering Salukis :D , I can totally see all of those, except the Weimaraner (granted that's less than 10%). I always thought her face looked very fine and delicate, like a Saluki, and the shape of the head and ears a spaniel.

Ailsa

And what I'd expect would be Bouvier, English foxhound, Petit Bassett Griffon Vendeen, Bearded Collie and Dandie Dinmont Terrier. Because frankly I think for those things they get a poster of AKC breeds and a collander of fresh spaghetti and throw the noodles against the wall. Whatever breed names/pictures the noodles stick to, go on the list. :rolleyes:

And what I'd expect would be Bouvier, English foxhound, Petit Bassett Griffon Vendeen, Bearded Collie and Dandie Dinmont Terrier. Because frankly I think for those things they get a poster of AKC breeds and a collander of fresh spaghetti and throw the noodles against the wall. Whatever breed names/pictures the noodles stick to, go on the list. :rolleyes:

Too true. Extra points for rare breeds.

Well if I see any of those I will will know it's Bs since I know Genie is at least 1/2 bc. I also rescued what I beleived to be her father. amazing resemblence esp throught he head and same location. Since 3/4 of sugars litter were born tailless I'd expect the Aussie. I've had people disagree with me due to sugars color that she's 1/2 golden. She was pure white and 2x the size of the other pups (great pyr?) in her litter and she is still huge for a bc aussie mix.

LOL--just wanted to add that we have officially given up on DNA tests for Mojo. Should have listened to Laurae 2 years back, but I was stubborn. :D The Metamorphix Canine Heritage (cheek swab) test I did last year said that Mojo was so mixed that were no distinct breeds in him. Recently, we got back the results from the Mars Wisdom Panel (blood) test that I added to Mojo's latest bloodwork, and apparently, this test also found that there is no predominant breed....but of the purebreds in the mix, SHIH TZU comprises the majority, with DOBERMAN in the third generation. :rolleyes::D :D :D Mars advertises its accuracy as being >90% in a first-generation cross...guess their accuracy drops right down to zero in a more mixed mix!! :D

This is a recent shot of Mojo, my little Shih Tzu x Doberman: :D

021-600.jpg

what was the 1/2 off sale and who had it???

On the 9th of Dec Jefferes offered it as a 12 days of christmas sale. It was for the 1st 100 customers. I had it marked on the calender since I was intersted but cheap. I also bought other stuff so that was the idea behind the sale I guess.

BTW I should not answer stuff at moms she missing 9 keys off this keyboard

• 2 weeks later...
Their results are always funny. I wonder, if I sent in DNA from my pure bred Border Collies, what they'd be mixed with? :rolleyes:

Katelynn

I truly considered sending maddies since I know she is absolutely purebred as a test control but, mom wanted to send the dog form the rescues. Still waiting, Sugars first swab didnt have enough cells. The rescue pup's is in the mail. I'm hoping Tues.

Our are back for the kimmies and they are very consistant with what we though.

They are tier 2 boston terrier

tier 3 Bull terrier

tier 4 west highland terier

teir 5 rhodesian ridgeback

I will try to get a good pic tonight but, basically they are small blocky pattern white dogs with a medium soft coat. They are patched with black and white and brindle patches. They have a snub nose and broad head.