BC Boards

New Dog and BC Owner lookinf for some tips

We adopted Travis from a rescue on Dec 6th at 11 weeks old...we were told he was a lab/beagle mix but obviously he is a BC and mixed with something else...any ideas what he may be mixed with? He is a very smart dog...we have trained him to sit, stay and lay down so far...had him trained for a little while that when he is biting to go get a toy to chew on but that has since passed and he ignores it until we get him a toy...I am looking for other things to train him and any tips on what to expect...he is now about 15 weeks old

post-9546-1231356083_thumb.jpg

I see Beagle! Where do you see Border Collie?

Whenever I've had nippy puppies, I start with a "Ah-ah" (meaning "don't do that") and then I replace my sleeve/arm/foot/whatever else they've sunk their little teeth into with an appropriate chew toy. Any excessive rough play, gets a "time-out" sort of deal in a crate where they can calm down and learn that they play by my rules. In addition to that, I also put them in their crates regularly during the day to teach them to relax in the home, of course with appropriate toys they can chew on. In my opinion, your pup shouldn't be responsible for finding a toy he can chew on, on his own. He's much too young for that. It's up to you to provide him with the things he can chew and teach him which things he can't. Eventually the connection will click for him if you do what I've described above.

As for what else to teach, I think one of the most important things you can teach is a solid recall. Starting it off to he pretty much can't fail, and then adding distance, and distractions. You can do this for his other commands, add distractions, use less cues (hand signals, or voice), make the command harder for him (will he do it when you are turned around/not looking at him? without a lure? will he hold it until you tell him he's free?) All of these things test their brain and come especially useful.

Welcome to the boards! I hope I was helpful.

I second what Kayla said.

As for your Travis...he is a major cutie whether he's a bc or not :] I do see border collie in the markings and such, but the rest of him screams beagle. Sorry, I'm not much help with dog breeds :rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses...just got off the phone with my wife and she took Travis to his first vet visit...they said Border Collie too with a mix of possibly pit bull and maybe 5 other breeds??? I will post some updated pics tomorrow so maybe you can have a better look...what is recall and how do I train him to do that?

It's hard to see much from that photo, so I'll wait to see the new ones. He's super cute, though.

A recall is coming when called. I'm assuming he knows his name, but that's what I teach first. When he knows his name, then you work on him coming when you call him, either to his name or "come" or "here". In the beginning you will want to reward him (praise, food, toys) for coming every single time. He'll learn that coming to you equals good things. This doesn't mean you will forever have to give him a treat or a toy for coming, but in the beginning, yes. Then eventually you don't reward every single time (well, I'd still praise him) and phase it out over time. Don't ask him to come to you for unpleasant things, like nail trimming or baths, in those cases, go get him. That's all about learning that coming when called is something he should *want* to do.

It's hard to see much from that photo, so I'll wait to see the new ones. He's super cute, though.

A recall is coming when called. I'm assuming he knows his name, but that's what I teach first. When he knows his name, then you work on him coming when you call him, either to his name or "come" or "here". In the beginning you will want to reward him (praise, food, toys) for coming every single time. He'll learn that coming to you equals good things. This doesn't mean you will forever have to give him a treat or a toy for coming, but in the beginning, yes. Then eventually you don't reward every single time (well, I'd still praise him) and phase it out over time. Don't ask him to come to you for unpleasant things, like nail trimming or baths, in those cases, go get him. That's all about learning that coming when called is something he should *want* to do.

Gotcha...he knows his name and comes most of the time when called...sometimes he easily distracted though...also does anyone let their dog out without a leash or a run? I have about a 1 acre yard partially fenced...I was going to wait until I get an invisible dog fence or something in the spring before I let him out...right now I am scared that he would take off after something...when he goes out to take care of his business he doesn't like to go out alone...he has to have someone out there with him...kind of strange...but on the other hand when I walk him around the neighborhood on the gentle leader (even though he hates it, it's the only way I can get him to walk and run with me without pulling like a spaz) he gets distracted by people and cars so that's what makes me nervous

Travis is a cutie :rolleyes: The first thing that came to mind was a bully breed or boxer. I don't see any BC in his shape. A lot of breeds come in B & W. As he gets older and you can see how he moves, it will be easier to tell what the mix is. Either way, he's a doll!

An acre isn't very big and if you live close to a road, I wouldn't be letting the pup off lease any time soon. It only takes a glimpse of something across the street to send him flying. I would recommend a puppy class and eventually an obedience class. They can help you get a handle on his pulling and give you great ideas for weekly training projects.

Good luck and post more pics :D

I also meant to post a suggestion. I'm sure this will turn into an arguement, but.......Try not to teach your dog's name with the command. Example: spot sit, spot down, spot come. Their name should be used to just get their attention. If you teach the command with the name, then the name has to be used with every command. I know with my guys, this is VERY true. Grady is especially command sensitive. "Grady come" would be interpretted completely different than "come" or "Grady". He does NOT come to his name. He only looks at me when I say it. When he looks at me, he gets the command I want. If he's already looking at me, there's no need to say his name first, I have his attention.

Hope this helps

here is another pic...more to come...and trust me he handled himself well with the boxer...lol

He looks like he has some brindle in his coat -- I agree that he looks like he has some pit or boxer in him.

Nice to see a boxer with a full tail and ears :rolleyes:

Ailsa

Phil, you've gotten some excellent advice already for Travis. Thanks for taking him in.

In addition to what's already been said, I'd not do much running with him at all. His little bones and joints are still soft and very susceptible to injury from running. A few steps of a jog is one thing, trying to run much more than that you could really hurt your adorable boy. When he runs around your yard, it's at his own pace and he'll stop, start, turn, shift to a lower speed, and be on a soft or at least variable surface.

There are differing opinions on electric fence. Use the search function to find some previous discussions. In any event, not outside without a leash even for a minute until you've got something to safely contain him.

Have a great time!

Ruth

A few more

I have a 19 wk old BC, and regardless if this dog is part or not, NEVER EVER let him off his lead until you have a solid recall! Anyone know what age that happens? :rolleyes: I would be careful dropping his leash for play as well. We made that mistake. A plane flew over head and ZIP...there he went at full speed! Thankfully, after whooping and hollering while running in the oposite direction we were much more interesting than the plane. Loads of praise and treats for his return!! We now use a 20 ft lead for play in the backyard and also for training. We are utilizing it as he learns to obey commands with distractions around. I am a new dog owner as well and this board is excellent place for information. I agree, puppy classes are beneficial to both of you. We've learned so much from our trainer. Good luck and welcome!

Sara and Jake