BC Boards

It's just me

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a few weeks and just recently had my account validated. My BC will be born on Jan. 19th, and she'll be ready to come home mid March. I cannot wait! I am mom to a 1 year old, very mild mannered, sweet female chihuahua, and am hoping that the two of them get along well. I live in a one bedroom apt. but get my dog out every day and am looking for a bit more action. Want to get into flyball and possibly agility, but mainly want a partner who can keep up with long walks/jogs. My chi can only go so far before she tires!

Have been learning a ton since I've been reading old posts so don't really have any questions at the moment, just wanted to introduce myself and my chi, Holly.

See everyone around and will post pics of my new BC as soon as she's born,

Nicole

post-9584-1231051508_thumb.jpg

post-9584-1231051589_thumb.jpg

Hi there

how exciting for you and you are doing the right thing reading up

From getting my girl I would say prepair for the worst girl you could ever expect, train hard and you will get lots of nice surprises

Much better to plan for the worst and overtrain an easy dog than expect an easy dog and have to keep retraining when issues arrive

cant wait for fotos

I would limit the time your puppy has with the chi as they will start with possibly playing ot your moms chi will constantly scold. We have older puppies who delight in ticking off the chi's and making them mad but, that can have consequences.

good luck with your puppy. You'll have alot of fun and take classes when her shots are UTD as it's fun for your dog.

I suck at names, and right now the only thing that comes to mind is Bella. Prepare for the worst; that sounds about right from what I've been reading. I have actually never had a dog that was a puppy when I brought it home, they've always been at least 10 months - like when I got Holly. So I know I'm in for a lot of work in March! Planning on taking a week off from work when I pick her up so we can get to know eachother.

Thanks for the info!

Nicole

I have a border collie and a chihuahua too! They are very good friends. In fact Lola (the chihuahua) is the alpha dog at our house. We got a new puppy this fall and I wondered how it would be with the 2 girls but Lola has held her own! :rolleyes:

post-9339-1231103662_thumb.jpg

post-9339-1231103939_thumb.jpg

I only have a couple of recommendations for you and first is to make sure you have a kennel and teach her to sleep in it even if she starts to cry the first night or so and don't baby her if she cries telling her everything is ok and also by using a kennel she will learn to potty train a lot quicker and easier for you.

And make sure you have plenty of chew toys for her. And good luck picking a name. and I will also tell you what I tell everyone else I help train or sale to is as long as you show plenty of love and make sure your pup realizes you are the boss your dog will do anything you ask of her.

Steve

Good for Lola! But my Holly is more on the submissive side, so I know if I get an even slightly dominant BC, she's going to rule over my Halls (Holly's nickname). So I'm hoping to find a BC that isn't too submissive, but not too extreme either. And chihuahua's are so small, so I kind of feel bad for my poor girl. I keep telling her to get ready for her new little big sister, but I don't think she understands!

Yep, my chihuahua came crate trained and I'm telling you, I would marry the person who invented the idea. She sleeps in it at night and is in it while I am at work, but I come home for lunch so she gets a break, and of course she is out in the evening with me. I plan on immediately getting Bella used to the crate, but she'll get 30-45 minutes exercise in the morning and at least an hour of activity in the evening.

Thank you all for the advice, and I'll post pics in approximately two weeks when she's born.

Nicole

Some nice Scottish girl's names (for a dog of Scottish origin):

Ailsa (pledge from God)

Bonnie (pretty, charming beautiful)

Cait (pure)

Maisie (child of light)

Skye (after the Isle of Skye)

Tara (a hill where the kings met)

I like Maisie. Suggested that out of the blue recently to someone on the board who was trying to find a name for her new girl. Strange. Maybe there's a Maisie in my future...

Bella-have you been reading Twilight? :rolleyes:

I bet you'll be suprised at how well they do! Zahra(the border collie pup) is pretty dominant but I have always kind of stepped in and put my foot down. The other thing I've done since day one is to teach "be gentle". If they are playing and Zahra gets a little rough now I just say "be gentle" and she backs off and regroups. She picked up on it pretty quickly which was good!

Ahhh a new puppy! I so don't need one but boy are they fun! Enjoy!

I also noticed that all of my pics are of my dogs sleeping! :D So much for hyper border collies! :D

Hehe. I love puppies :D

I suck badly at all names, which is why Joy kept her name from the breeder (but it was appropriate, since she was a "gift" around xmas). All my rats had stupid names (Marleigh, Jayde, Splinter from teenage mutant ninja turtles, and Tweezer, since you can't have a Splinter without a Tweezer), and luckily I didn't have to name any other pets :rolleyes: So you're not alone.

Joy's boyfriend happens to be a little chi mix my mom has, and they're best friends. It's kind of funny watching the expressions on friends' faces while Joy and Eros "kill" each other. I think Eros does a pretty good job of telling Joy off when she takes the play too hard. That's one of the skills that the little dogs have to learn, unfortunately. After 100000 poundings in the face from a strong border collie, it would be wise to whip out the teeth.

As far as naming goes I enlisted the help of a couple friends at work. We must have come up with a hundred names. I had a picture of the pup and and we would bounce names around. In the end I switched it back to Gus, which was the first one I had picked.

What was really embarrassing was that a group at work gave me a "Puppy" Shower with little puppy toys and treats and stuff.

It had been about 10 years since I had last had my own dog, so it was a bit rough at first having a new puppy. I use a crate too. I also feed him only in the crate, as a tool to try and get him to associate it with good things. At night he'll wine for a bit when I first put him in for bed, but it is getting less and less, less than a minute now, usually.

• 2 weeks later...

So it turns out there was only one female born in the Jan. 19th litter, and the lady who put her deposit down before me claimed her. :/ The good news is that this lady refered me to a guy who had a litter born on Jan. 3rd, and I'm transfering my deposit to a beautiful little tri merle female from his litter. Yay! Pics below at two weeks old.

Meet Bella! (Or Maisie, I can't decide!)

post-9584-1232344015_thumb.jpg

post-9584-1232344025_thumb.jpg

Here's some information that might be useful: The "Read This First" Thread

In there, it states:

For the good of the breed, border collies should be bred only for working ability. The border collie breed was created by farmers and shepherds who wanted to develop a dog which could help them manage their livestock. They bred only to produce good workers, and that singleness of purpose created the breed we love. Changing the way border collies are bred will change the breed itself. Therefore, breeding dogs who have not proven themselves as useful herding dogs, or breeding for appearance/color, or breeding for sports or for "good pets," or breeding for anything other than working ability (which includes the health and temperament necessary for working) is harmful to the breed.

... and ...

The best place to get a border collie for livestock work is from a reputable breeder of working dogs--not someone who merely breeds "from working lines," but someone who trains and uses his/her dogs on stock, and is breeding to produce the utmost in herding ability. The best place to get a border collie for companionship or for dog sports is from the same kind of breeder, or (preferably, in most cases) from border collie rescue. Buying a pup from breeders who register with the AKC is bad for the breed. So is buying a pup from a pet shop, or from a breeder you know only through an internet website, and in such cases you run the risk of supporting a puppy mill and getting an unhealthy, temperamentally-unsound pup besides.

Jodi