BC Boards

Ummm---a training question

Okay...I am probably thrashing board etiquette, but I could not bring myself to post this in "health" or "obedience"....

Without giving the odd combination of "gory" details, DH, DS and I are wondering....

Has anyone here successfully clicker trained (or any other way for that matter) a BC to use the toilet? As in, hop up, squat w/o falling in and at least poop? Recognize that the guys who are leg-lifters may be no better than human males at getting the target correct for peeing.

I am mostly serious about the question. :rolleyes:

You might do something similar to cat potty training I would guess: teach the dog to use a litter pan, then put the pan on the toilet, then under the seat, then no pan. No experiences, just speculation though.

Go here:

http://www.zunior.com/product_info.php?products_id=634

or here:

http://www.lala.com/artist/Stuart_McLean

and click on Toilet training the cat.

I know its not a dog, but it is one of the funniest things you'll ever hear. Esp if you like Garrison Keillor. Its Canada's version in Stuart McLean.

Ailsa

ETA:

Great suggestion for Christmas present :rolleyes:

This starts out sounding promising, and then after a minute or so, the sound just fades out although it's apparently still playing :rolleyes: . Does this happen to others too?

The other one can't be accessed internationally.

I frequently daydream about toilet training the dogs - basically every time I fall asleep on the couch too early, and wake up to the realisation that I have to go OUTSIDE instead of just being able to sleep-walk over to the bedroom.

When I was a kid in Iceland, our cat trained himself to use the toilet. He just didn't like his kitty litter box in the cold. I am sure you could train a dog to do so, but I think you would have to build a new seat (flat plywood with carpet, maybe, so the dog can balance better). For males peeing, you might just need to use a bathtub...

BTW - it was most annoying to need the bathroom on a cold morning and find the cat had beat you to it! And our cat did NOT like anyone watching him at his business.

This starts out sounding promising, and then after a minute or so, the sound just fades out although it's apparently still playing :rolleyes: . Does this happen to others too?

The other one can't be accessed internationally.

I frequently daydream about toilet training the dogs - basically every time I fall asleep on the couch too early, and wake up to the realisation that I have to go OUTSIDE instead of just being able to sleep-walk over to the bedroom.

Sorry Sandra! I can't seem to find a link with the whole skit, but if you were to buy the CD from Amazon (can you get that there?), called Odd Jobs (The Vinyl Cafe series), its on there. But if you wanted to hear a whole routine to see if you like Stuart's sense of humour, try this:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DtefkJsw8&...feature=related

I know its OT now, but anyone who gets a chance should get him for Christmas -- its a great way to spend family-time during the holidays.

Ailsa

I could understand someone wanting to do this if they leave their dogs inside all day without

being able to go outside via a doggie door or the like. I don't think a dog could jump up on an

open toilet and balance like a cat that is smaller and so much more balanced. I would be afraid

a leg would slip in maybe causing an injury. It would be nice but I don't think practical.

Sorry Sandra! I can't seem to find a link with the whole skit, but if you were to buy the CD from Amazon (can you get that there?), called Odd Jobs (The Vinyl Cafe series), its on there. But if you wanted to hear a whole routine to see if you like Stuart's sense of humour, try this:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DtefkJsw8&...feature=related

I know its OT now, but anyone who gets a chance should get him for Christmas -- its a great way to spend family-time during the holidays.

Ailsa

Oh, okay, I thought something went wrong because the "stop" button stayed there while the sound faded. Thanks for the link...as someone who drinks too much tea when it's cold, I can thoroughly relate :rolleyes:

Sorry about going OT. I hope someone's going to confess to having a loo-trained BC! After watching them fall into various stock tanks on hot hikes, I don't think mine would be up to the balancing act.

Sorry about going OT. I hope someone's going to confess to having a loo-trained BC! After watching them fall into various stock tanks on hot hikes, I don't think mine would be up to the balancing act.

No you weren't off-topic, I was! What with cats and comedy skits!

I don't think mine could balance either ... maybe those highly trained agility bcs would be another story ... Kristine, aka Root Beer? What's the scene in your washroom? :D:rolleyes:

Ailsa

Ok---I don't think that humor is at ALL off topic, what with a post like this.

Please, please don't anyone go all over-serious on me...the topic came up in the context that Kip is an, um, extremely private dog. He resists being seen doing ANYTHING except territorial marking on trees on walks. If he actually NEEDS to pee, he looks just mortified. And poop in front of someone? He'd rather die. We joked that he needs his own bathroom so he can shut the door for a bit of privacy....and in the context of me soon needing a hip surgery which will render me nonweightbearing and unable to dog walk, the idle human minds at our house began wondering if there were potty trained BC's.

I have an old diabetic cat (who drinks entirely too much water...) and so changing his litterbox is a feat I am unable to keep up with. (or at least keeping a dry layer on top for him to get wet..)

So, I made a hole in the bottom corner of his litter box, used the crystal litter(looks like rock salt but ain't), and put it in my shower over the drain so the solids stay in, the excess odorous liquids drain down the drain. (He was toilet trained but only to urinate when he was little, now , too old and feeble.)

If you have the luxury of a spare bathroom with a shower...perhaps you could train the dog to go there. Just pull the curtin for him for his privacy. many folks put papers down and pick up the poo when they walk their dogs, you could pick up the poo from the shower floor, rinse the urine, and maintain a cleaner place than paper training.

For Bess, I have a tie out strategically placed so I can clip the wire to the dog coller from inside the house, open the door to let her go out and do her business, yip at the door to tell me she's done, and open the door to let her in, wipe her paws, and unclip her lead. Probably isn't so wonderful that the door isn't a tighter fit than it is, but at least I don't have to go out into the most horrible weather when I don't want to, just so she can get her business done.

Oh, and you probably won't be non weight bearing for very long...they make walkers and such for folks cause mobility helps heal. (Weight bearing might be different, but hopping aropund with the walker is good exercise too!)