BC Boards

Winston Update

For those of you who have followed (or helped!) Winston's story, I just wanted to give a little update. I am going to do a home visit on Sunday with a woman who just had to put her dog down. She saw Winston's pictures and bio at the vet's office and is very interested in him. She comes HIGHLY recommended by her vet and is totally undetered by his gimpy leg. I spoke to her on the phone and it sounds like a good situation for him. This is the first potential adopter that I have felt really good about so please keep your fingers crossed for Winston! I'll let everyone know how it went on Monday.

Lisa

I've got everything crossed for this woman and Winston hitting it off! Let's hope they can make a wonderful difference in each other's lives (not that Winston isn't in the lap of good loving right now).

I think Winston has hit the big time!

The home visit went beautifully! The woman was fabulous - she's had many dogs in the past, all strays or rescues. She had a list of questions to ask me and most of the questions I had for her were on her list! She has plenty of experience with special needs dogs and is willing to do anything necessary to make things work for Winston. She is retired and widowed so Winston has someone who he can be with all-day every-day and someone who is happy to take him along in the car anytime she goes somewhere. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect match.

So, Winston is spending his first night with his new person. I've already had an update and he is getting along fine - has had four walks and is already making friends with her weird cat. Meanwhile, I'm a bit of a mess. I think I'm having a harder time adjusting than he is!

Thanks again to everyone who has helped and supported Winston along the way!

Lisa

PS - Did I mention that he is living in a real mansion with a five-acre yard and a house keeper?!?

And I want you all to know that I got the breaking news by phone this afternoon! Winston has been a very special foster granddog, is a loving and dignified (well, most of the time, unless he is "working" Ben while Ben is playing in the Pamlico Sound), and is very deserving of a new life in pretty posh surroundings.

Very best wishes to Winston and his new lady. A wonderful job by Lisa who popped him out of a shelter (while she was picking up another dog for transport to a rescue), put in months of care and training, and beaucoup bucks in good vet care and food and treats, and who is a good person for animals in need. Just ask Nellie, Ben, and Pip (and Pip's mother and sister, and numerous shelter pulls and transports), cats like Diesel, Cleo, Stella, and Birchy, a rescue rabbit named Phoebe, and a stray rooster named Rusty (who would put most guard dogs to shame in defense of his home with Lisa).

If these compliments for Lisa sound biased, they are - I am her mother, and proud of her!

Sue-

You SHOULD be proud. Great daughter and great placement- As for me- taking NO foster dogs until after Christmas. I need a break!! All the others are doing wonderful and Bliss, oh Bliss- she's here to stay, unless I find the "perfect" home.

Sounds like Bliss may already have the "perfect" home - with you! Lisa was picky also and, unless she found the right place for Winston, he would be functioning as the elder statesman of her pack and the cuddle-dog when she napped on the couch.

I just got a call from the vet who recommended Winston's new person - Marty. The vet said that Marty came in yesterday with Winston and was just thrilled to death with him. She also said that Winston seemed happy and was adjusting to the change well. I'm going to wait until tonight or tomorrow to call and check in with Marty again - I don't want to come across like a crazy stalker calling to check in every day :rolleyes: . So, hip hip hooray for Winnie!!

Lisa

I'm going to wait until tonight or tomorrow to call and check in with Marty again - I don't want to come across like a crazy stalker calling to check in every day :D

Oh you see, I would be calling every 2 hours :rolleyes: And probably driving by under cover of darkness....

You did really good by Winston. Such a great story. Keep us informed!

Ailsa

Hooray for Winston -- and for you!! It's been a long journey. Praying he has, indeed, found his perfect forever home. And if you've got a little separation anxiety going, that's only normal!!

I called this morning to check in. Winston and Marty had gone out for the day but the housekeeper said that he was, "Just gorgeous" and that'd she'd take a message. :rolleyes: Sounds pretty perfect so far.

Lisa