BC Boards

Throat injury?

MrSnappy

Yesterday Tweed was attacked by another, much larger dog. She had him down by the throat and had to be pulled off him. He suffered no punctures, just a a bunch of slobber and lots of feeling sorry for himself. However, since then he has been swallowing excessively - a lot of wet sounding swallowing, and a little retching.

He ate dinner (turkey drumstick) no problem. He ate breakfast (tripe) no problem. No coughing or anything whilst playing ball this morning. The swallowing has lessened, but he's still doing it.

Obviously we will go to the vet, but any ideas what could be going on? Bruised trachea? Ruptured salivary gland? Anyone been through something similar?

RDM

Poor Tweed! Must have been upsetting for you too! Hope there's nothing seriously wrong with him. Let us know what the vet says. Good mojo being sent your way from Ohio!

I went thru dealing with a non-specific throat injury back in mid Sept. I suspected the cause in my dog's case to be internal (I think it was caused by a bone shard), but we never found it, so that's just a guess.

Symptoms were the same...distressed swallowing, excessive salivation, retching, coughing. She could eat, but progressingly didn't want to. We x-rayed, scoped twice, but found no cause, just alot of irritation, so she was treated symptomatically.

Vet thought the initial irritation, caused by whatever, was continiously exacerbated by her coughing, etc & it became a vicious worsening cycle as her gag reflex got more and more sensitive. She was treated with a short course of pred, along with a cough suppressant (also a course of antibiotics since we suspected an internal trauma, unlike your case). I think the helping to relieve the symptoms enough to let everything rest and heal was the ticket. It took awhille. She was on the cough suppressant for several weeks.

Hope you can get some relief for your boy.

Lori Cunningham

Milton, PA

Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned, we are going to the vet, and she'll have a look-see. They said on the phone it's probably bruising, from the sounds of it.

And whoever is trying to leave me blog comments telling me to go to the vet, please knock it off. Or at least read this thread first and figure out we already have a vet appointment before you succumb to your urge to anonymously type. yeesh.

RDM

Good luck at the vet's from us too! Poor Tweed. What a trauma.

This also happened to my Riley years ago -- pinned at the park by a very anti-social globe-trotting mutt and had her throat actually ripped open, requiring emergency surgery. So my money is probably also on bruising -- making the throat very sore and stimulating repeated swallowings.

Let us know how it goes,

Ailsa

Get well soon Tweird! Didn't Woo just get attacked as well?

Yeah, same dog. She got them both. I thought Piper was going to explode - she was not impressed with anyone beating up her boys :rolleyes:

Tweed is okay. He has a bruised larynx, but a couple of days of aspirin and he should be okay.

RDM