BC Boards

Anyone going to Cyno Sports in Scottsdale AZ?

There are about a half dozen that might work...Archie, Tia, Annie, Pixie, Chloe, and perhaps a few others. I have a 4 year old pound mutt (Shepherd/Retriever/something mix, male, happy-go-lucky & gets along with all the other dogs that have visited us) and I'm buying a BC puppy from a lady in Oregon - the pups were born last week. We normally have owned 2 dogs, and I just retired from the military - getting bored and need something to focus on. I had a BC mix from 1979-1993 and a purebred BC from 1990-2002. Leila was raised as a pet, and I sometimes have a hard time relating to some of the posts on this board. She was very focused and intense, and herded everything she could - but she wasn't some psycho dog tearing up the house. True, as a puppy she chewed a hole in the middle of my favorite wool carpet from Turkey, and there were a few other mistakes, but she wasn't a nut case. She played with our young kids, bit them on the heels and got corrected for doing so, was gentle and protective of our baby, wanted to play all the time but wasn't always allowed to...she was intense & focused AND a great dog. There WAS the time at the soccer game where we told her to get in our car, and there was another one just like ours parked nearby with an open window and a woman sitting inside...

I was thinking a 1-2 year old dog, preferably female since the others are boys, plenty of energy but good with other dogs (essential!)...if the dog has some interest in agility, it would give us all something to work on. Young enough to play, but I don't need to raise TWO little puppies at once. Even with Dan the Dog's help, that would be more than I want to chew!

I met Chloe last weekend! She is an itty bitty little girl with TONS of energy, pretty high drive. She is maybe 20lbs?! She is a great girl and she loves to please! She took my corrections very well and would sit and do tricks for a ball. The only quirky thing about Chloe is she is scared of some men. She was not scared of Chris, but he is short. We, at the booth last weekend, were thinking that maybe she is frightened of tall men? I have not met the others yet. I think Chloe might be there on Saturday afternoon if you are interested. That is the shift her "foster mom," is working. Tia's foster mom has a couple of dogs competing so I am not sure when she will be at the booth exactly. I have heard Pixie has great drive and I have had numerous people ask me about Annie and Archie, but I do not know much about them.

Chloe sounds great. So do the others, in all honesty. The Border Collie mix I had was mixed with something big - Chris weighed over 100 lbs in his prime with hair a foot long. Great when living in northern Utah, but a challenge in Tucson! The only Border Collie trait he had was independent judgment. He was eager to please, but sometimes would substitute his own opinion - and was almost always right when he did. Leila was 55 lbs. At the time, I didn't know Border Collies could get so big. A smaller Border Collie would be nice.

I still need to have a home inspection, and a big factor will be getting along with Dan. Dan is hopelessly good-natured, so I don't expect problems. He's been known to allow a Dachshund to chase him away from his food. Still, I've known dogs to take instant and deep rooted dislikes for reasons I couldn't detect. We're Dan's third family and have had him for 3 years, so he has some voting rights too.

Narita, I use to muck out stalls at the Rillito riding stables as a kid! Crossed the Rillito river (when it wasnt monsoon season) walking home from school. I was raised in Tucson. Graduated from Canyon Del Oro high. Its nice to hear (or see in print) some of the old haunts of my youth. Thanks for reminding me me some of it still exists.

Why did you leave? We live in Willcox which is about 100 miles east in the boonies. We love the weather although summers are a bit warm. We moved from Phx and now have 4 Aussies and 4 sheep. It is a great, little community where everyone helps each other. My hubby says he will never move as his wife won't let him. He is right. Glad you are reminded of your youth. We have never been to the raceway so hope we don't get lost. I'm anxious to work with this new trainer and learn what to do with my Sam. N

If anyone who isn't there is interested...you can see live streamed runs at Nationals!! It's very cool! Go to www.cynosport.com, click on the live video and it's yours for free. You do have to register, but it's good for the weekend. Here are the scheduled events, and there may be others during the day without commentary (they just finished Jr. Handlers in one ring). All times given are Arizona time; most of AZ is not on daylight savings time, so you figure it out! There are also replays available of last night's Perf. National Standard. Enjoy!

$10,000 Dog Agility Steeplechase®/Performance Speed Jumping Championships Finals - 11/01/2008 06:30 PM

Dog Agility Masters Three-Dog Team/Performance Versatility Pairs Championships - 11/02/2008 09:00 AM

Grand Prix of Dog Agility World Championship Finals - 11/02/2008 12:30 PM

diane

My family and I went to the show yesterday. It was our first time attending such an event. I had never heard of 'flyball', or competitions to see who could jump farthest into a pool of water. We had a blast!

We also met Pixie & Indie, both of whom seem to be wonderful dogs. thanks for the information!

Sigh... first year I haven't gone in awhile. Watching the streaming video though is the next best thing!

As to the time zone question, Scottsdale is the same as Pacific Daylight Time until about 2 more hours, then it's the same as Mountain Standard Time. Silly places that don't observe DST!

$10,000 Dog Agility Steeplechase®/Performance Speed Jumping Championships Finals - 11/01/2008 06:30 PM

I just watched this. Very cool. There were times when I absolutely could not stop myself from cheering. Almost as good as being there (except that the weather is a bit different here :rolleyes: ).

Ooh, I just watched it now - what awesome coverage! Loved the commentary, loved the camera work.

Special shout-out to Wade Robertson and Jenny, who came 3rd in 22" Steeplechase. Wade is from this neck of the woods (and Jenny is a distant cousin of Lou), and he is the one that has always encouraged (berated? bullied? :rolleyes: ) me to really push for speed, rather than go for a safe Q. He cajoles me into silly wagers, demands that all sevens be performed in snooker, dares me to put in suicide front-crosses, and when we crash and burn (which happens a lot) he is always there to give me a good-natured ribbing. Even Wick (who is pathologically afraid of men) likes him and he is one of the very few other handlers for whom she will run. Jenny is his first agility dog ever and they are an amazing team to watch.

Gosh, and what can you say about Marcus Topps and Juice? They are just sick. Wow!

We were at Cynosports for the flyball events and seminars and what a blast that was! This was the first time we traveled out of state to a flyball tournament. That was about a six hour journey for us, but well worth the drive and expense. Everyone I talked to seemed to be having a great time as well.

We did stop by the AZ BC Rescue booth, saw the wonderful doggies and bought a baseball cap (they were very swanky).

How did things go at the Booth? Any adoptions?

Yes! We had three adoptions through the rescue that weekend! We all teared up on the last day when Nana, the oldest girl in our rescue (I want to say 13yrs?) was adopted by a fantastic man from Canada! I don't think there was a dry eye at our booth. IMO, the best part on Sunday was when we let all the BC's off leash, 15 or so, and played one big game of frisbee! There were fosters and former fosters all over the place running together. It was A LOT of fun to watch. My Poke even got to play and show everyone his 5 foot jumping skills!

We met a lot of people, sold a lot of T-shirts, hats and calendars, and introduced tons of people to the rescue. I would say it was a great success.

Yes! We had three adoptions through the rescue that weekend! We all teared up on the last day when Nana, the oldest girl in our rescue (I want to say 13yrs?) was adopted by a fantastic man from Canada! I don't think there was a dry eye at our booth.

Nana got up here safe and sound and her new name is going to be Shine. She is off to the vet's tomorrow morning for a complete work up - full blood panel, etc. She is just the sweetest thing.

I didn't know that was YOU!!!! Thank you so much for taking in that sweet sweet girl!!!!

No that's not me. It's friends of mine. Darren went down to play flyball with his two border collies and his JRT in the open division. He was on the Good2Go team. He went down with a guy that runs an awesome Weimie. BUT I will be looking to add another senior border collie next spring, so you just might hear from me!!!!!

Nana got up here safe and sound and her new name is going to be Shine. She is off to the vet's tomorrow morning for a complete work up - full blood panel, etc. She is just the sweetest thing.

I recall that you posted a link when your friends were planning on adopting Buddy from ABCR last year, but I couldn't remember which board member here did that. I just wanted to echo the sentiments of joy and gratitude that your friends adopted Shine/Nana. After I pulled her from Prescott AC she spent four days with me, and (as you can attest) she's easy to fall in love with. Please pass on my well wishes to Darren and Kim and give Shine a big hug from me.

ETA: Who couldn't love this face?

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg