BC Boards

Kong crazy

Well Black Jack is now Kong crazy! Yesterday I finally tried his Kong to see if he would like it. I mixed some peanut butter and some of his food together, then put it inside the Kong. When I took it out to him he looked at it then came over to me so I kind of played with it and moved it side, to side which really made him want it after that. He loves it! He can't lick it enough. I give it to him when ever I have to go to town or anything. It keeps him busy when I'm gone.

What do you guys put in them? I saw they have some spray stuff you can put in there but I didn't know if it was any good or not?

I have done Peanut butter, dog food (added water, then stuck in the microwave to make it into mush), anything frozen (good on warm days and it lasts longer), plus the little hard treats you can wedge in them.

I haven't done the Kong filler stuff but a friend with a new puppy has and says it is great!

I could never live without a Kong and a Crate!(well, maybe Frisbees and tennis balls are required too :rolleyes:

I would be lost with my Kongs. I could kiss whoever invented those! :rolleyes:

I know someone who takes a piece of bread, spreads peanut butter on it, and stuffs it in the Kong. I haven't tried it yet, but seems like a good idea.

For Kong stuffing, I've used: peanut butter, dog treats just big enough to wedge in if you squeeze the Kong (those work great! I actually had Jack give up one day...you know how hard it is to do that?), a mush of veggies, yogurt and pumpkin-then frozen. Or any combination of the above.

Peanut Butter is always a favorite at our house. Frozen chicken broth on hot days, cheese and kibble, chucks of carrots, apples and peanut butter is another favorite. Mine seem to like them frozen no matter what is in them. Really just any kind of goodies are a hit for our gang.

So do you fill it all the way full? I thought that might be a little bit to much. Maybe not? I don't know.

I have done peanut butter and dog food, and just peanut butter so far. I think I'm going to try a banana next. He loves it so much! He doesn't even know I leave when I give it to him

Here's Black Jack with his first Kong :rolleyes:

BlackJack038.jpg

We freeze peanut butter inside in the summer for hot days, but I read about alot of other things to stuff it with, that I havent tried-sometimes he gets chicken and rice mixture smushed inside and he goes wild for that. The treat balls are awesome and we found tiny treats at the grocery store that fit int hem perfect and everytime he rolls it around with his nose they fly out and he scatters around collecting them.

I've never been able to "sell" the Kong to Ouzo. Yeah, he's giving it few licks, but that's about it. I am left cleaning up a clogged Kong and soaking it in water for long time to clean up the mess he didn't want to touch... And for play, no way, as long as there are rubber and tennis balls and stuffed toys around, he's never seen the point in playing with the Kong. I also have at least two treat balls, which probably are somewhere in his toy box untouched for the last 6 months.

He would much rather chew a big bone than pay any attention to a Kong stuffed with goodies.

Maybe I should try suffing it with napkins, that will make it more interesting for him

a friend of mine got Lance a bag of bacon-like treats (like beggin strips *sp), for his 5 month birthday on Thursday. I've been putting a few in his Kong and topping it off with a well wedged in hard dog cookie. He has gone crazy over it with the nice bacon smell thats hard to get to takes him about 15-20 minutes to get it all out. Which isn't long but cheap and easy for when I want him occupied for a little while.

Tomorrow I'm going to try putting a Pup Peroni in the top, and then a dog cookie, with a little peanut butter on the bottom. I'll see if he likes that. It might keep him busy for a while :rolleyes:

Well I tried the idea I said above and he loved it! The Pup Peroni's fit just tight enough in the top hole that he can't pull it out but he can get it out.

I put the Pup Peroni in the top, a PetCo cookie in the middle, then some PB on the bottom. He had a great time trying to get all the stuff out. Just thought I would tell you guys incase you wanted to try it :rolleyes:

Apple sauce is a big favorite at our house as is cottage cheese.

The Kong spray stuff is about twice the price of regular peanut butter or squeeze cheese from the store (I haven't compared the ingredients in them).

put something tough to get at in the bottom and that'll keep them going for some time.

The Kong company also has suggested recipes here: http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html