BC Boards

REGISTRATION QUESTION

Hi

Looking for some info that I thought I could find on line, but can't seem to.

I recently acquired my first b.c. from a courtesy listing from a rescue group. She is spayed and has ABCA papers which I transferred over to my name.

Now, what if I want to show her in Ralley, Agility, Obedience, etc.? I used to show many, many years ago when everything was akc and I had akc dogs. Will I still be able to show her at AKC trials in some way (maybe like getting an ILP number...or does the akc now accept ABCA registration) (Ha! I'm sure not.)

I googled this topic, but did not find the answers I needed.

thanks.

Now, what if I want to show her in Ralley, Agility, Obedience, etc.? I used to show many, many years ago when everything was akc and I had akc dogs. Will I still be able to show her at AKC trials in some way (maybe like getting an ILP number...or does the akc now accept ABCA registration) (Ha! I'm sure not.)

thanks.

Well since I don't really want to support AKC....

ok, as long as she is spayed you can ILP her, they do accept ABCA registration.

Maybe look into some of the other sport areas instead of supporting the AKC

Cynthia

geez, like what other organizations offer dog sports like agility. Do they offer obedience? Do they offer ralley? What other performance sports do they offer? And are they in W. Va., Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc. area?

Seems like this is a whole new realm for me! I thought AKC was the only way to participate in such sports.

USDAA is all over the midwest for agility. APDT does rally, dunno how popular they are in your area. For obedience and agility there's the UKC. Lots out there is you start looking for alternatives.

I compete in USDAA agility and find it more challenging than AKC in many ways.

Now those are questions you CAN answer with google. I see MaggieDog is also reading, so I bet we cross-post, but here goes. All the organizations below are open to all dogs and hold events in the area you described, and none that I'm aware of conflict with the goals of traditional working border collie enthusiasts (hope that's an okay word).

Rally: APDT Rally

Obedience: UKC Obedience

Agility: USDAA, NADAC, ASCA, DOCNA, CPE...and that's not all. Google will get you the website for each of them.

wow. now that I know those initials, i can google those. when i was starting out, we did North American Agility cause that was the only game in town and that's what the Jack Russell people used (and I hung out with them). I didn't realize they were still around.

thanks for all the info. Do all these organizations allow you to compete with an ABCA registraiton number?

thanks for the responses.

USDAA requires registration with their org, but allows all dogs regardless of lineage. I compete with my two mixes in USDAA.

ASCA has agility, though I think competitions can be hard to find in some areas.

Missing a whole sport - flyball. U-Fli and NAFA both very, very big in your area. Google flyball and you will get a ton of information. You only need a racing number and for both of those you'll simply claim affiliation with some breed and then stick with it (for instance, if you think your dog might be a mix, you can say your dog is a mix but you can't race as a Border Collie later).

And are they in W. Va., Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc. area?

If you haven't competed in Agility before, CPE is a perfect venue to start in. I trial in CPE in Maryland and Pennsylvania. There is NADAC around, too.

There is APDT Rally in Virginia (Fredericksburg), Maryland (Frederick), and Pennsylvania.

There is also starting to be some St. Hubert's Obedience in Maryland (Frederick) and Pennsylvania.

Plenty to do in the Maryland/Pennsylvania area.