BC Boards

Does he look like a merle or a mix?

We recently adopted (3 months ago) from the local animal shelter. Our dog, Louis, was labeled as a BC / Aussie mix. I had someone tell me that he looked more like a blue merle, which led me to research. I was wondering if I could get some input from you folks on if he looks like a full BC or a mix..

post-9042-1217033445_thumb.jpg

post-9042-1217033565_thumb.jpg

post-9042-1217033625_thumb.jpg

post-9042-1217033690_thumb.jpg

post-9042-1217033732_thumb.jpg

We recently adopted (3 months ago) from the local animal shelter. Our dog, Louis, was labeled as a BC / Aussie mix. I had someone tell me that he looked more like a blue merle, which led me to research. I was wondering if I could get some input from you folks on if he looks like a full BC or a mix..

post-9042-1217033445_thumb.jpg

post-9042-1217033565_thumb.jpg

post-9042-1217033625_thumb.jpg

post-9042-1217033690_thumb.jpg

post-9042-1217033732_thumb.jpg

I'd say blue merle tri- and that can be either aussie, bc, or mix. But I'm no expert. Very nice looking dog regardless!

Welcome to the boards!

I think that he could be a Border Collie, an Aussie, or a mix. If he were working on stock, his working style and mannerisms would be better indicators of his possible background.

He is a very stunning and handsome boy. Best wishes for a long and happy life together!

He looks like a blue merle bc to me, but alot of aussies, especially ones with tails, are hard to tell from bc's. My blue merle bc was labled as an aussie at the shelter, but based on the way he moves, I'm 99% sure he's all bc. I think alot of people just don't know bc's come in merle, and associate merle with aussies...my pure bred blue merle sheltie is constantly being mistaken for an aussie mix, just because people think that's the only way he could be merle.

So, just to clarify.... a blue merle is a color, not a breed. Could be you knew that, but the way the title reads (to me) makes it sound like you're laboring under the misapprehension that the breed choices are 1) BC, 2) Aussie, 3) mixed breed or 4) merle. Likewise the statement about being told by the shelter that your dog was a BC/Aussie mix, but someone else said he looked "more like a blue merle", which implies that they were substituting "blue merle" for the breeds mentioned by the shelter. (Did this person speak of the "blue merle" as if it were a breed, thereby misleading you? Or am I just misinterpreting your statment? - Wouldn't be the first time I've done that...) :D:rolleyes:

To me it looks like he has a little red in his coat near his ears; maybe on the left front leg as well. If so, I would agree on tricolor merle as his color; as for breed, he could be all Aussie, all BC, or a mix, either of BC X Aussie, or of BC OR Aussie mixed with something else. I'd say BC/Aussie is as good a guess as any. Realistically, though, he's a beautiful dog regardless of what breed(s) he might be. :D

sorry if it was not clear, but yes, i do realize merle is not a breed but a color. we were wondering if there was a chance he was a full blooded border collie, and not a mix. he does have some red in his coat, here are two pics from outdoors which show it better.

post-9042-1217079548_thumb.jpg

post-9042-1217079570_thumb.jpg

Something about the general posture says there is some Aussie in there to me,

A

I would guess BC or BCX. also. The merles I have seen usually don't have a black spot on them as large as this one, but I haven't seen that many merles in person. I can't really tell by pictures, but IF he is all BC, no offence, but he might need just a pound or two off of him. His belly looks like it wants to go up like a BC but may be a little saggy. Some good dog food and having him in his "forever home" will work wonders. Welcome to the boards and whatever he is, he sure is a cutie. Stick around. No matter HOW many dogs you've had or how much you THINK you know, you will always learn something on these boards!!!

P.S. Thank you for adopting. You've saved another great dog.

His belly looks like it wants to go up like a BC but may be a little saggy.

He looks a little chubby to me! :rolleyes:

He seems a lot buffer than most BCs I've seen... I would either say Aussie/BC, or high end of Aussie. But who knows... could be BC!

Is it possible to get a video of him moving?

The amount of black isn't really an indicator one way or another. Most of the Border Collies I've seen that are merle are the really candy-looking lighter merle, lots of white, with little solid showing. But that doesn't mean an individual merle couldn't show up with a ton of solid color (the black spots). This dog is not tri - he's just got washed out reddish places in his black. That will diminish with good food (and less of it, :rolleyes: ) and being allowed indoors.

For comparison, here is a dog I'm fostering/training right now - he came from SC and is almost certainly a BC/Aussie mix (we've had him on stock and you can see the characteristics of both). I can even take a guess that he's actually 3/4 Aussie. His color is blue merle tri.

MelSideDec07.jpg

MelFrontDec07.jpg

Thanks for the comments and compliments. He is a very good dog.

He was obviously abused/neglected. We have came a long way with him in a short time. He loves to play now and loves other dogs. I don't think anyone ever played with him before.

When we got him, he was so weak he couldn't stand on his hind legs at all. He is getting stronger and more agile by the day.

I don't have any videos of him moving, but maybe in the future. Thanks!