BC Boards

Weight Loss

Since moving from the west to the east my dogs have a different lifestyle and different work and because of this I have noted a weight gain with two of the oldest dogs. I would like to attack this weight gain and need your advice. The dogs have gone from daily work on sheep in a farm setting to less frequent work on sheep and more work on geese. Obviously they find goose work to be far less strenuous and of course we are off work and basically training only from June until Late August. At the moment it is too hot to even train them hard safely. For example the temp today is over 90 and the humidity is also over 90. Anything we do today will be a very short session. I am doing what I can to keep them active but I need to fight a weight gain. I have cut back on their food and recently I switched food formulas to what was called a weight loss formula with terrible results. They did not take to the food switch well at all and they seemed to have less energy. Obviously I have not adapted to this change very well on their behalf so I need to find a good balance, does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

Cut back on amounts and add in something with fiber, like green beans or plain canned pumpkin. I have great success with green beans for my prone-to-gain-weight working dog. When she's working regularly, she gets about 1.5 cups of kibble a day. She's been on rest for an injury, so I cut her back to 1 scant cup and then add about 1/2 regular-sized can of green beans daily to help her feel full.... (I don't go for "diet" kibble, just keep her on her regular diet but cut back.)

J.

but I need to fight a weight gain. I have cut back on their food and recently I switched food formulas to what was called a weight loss formula with terrible results. They did not take to the food switch well at all and they seemed to have less energy. Obviously I have not adapted to this change very well on their behalf so I need to find a good balance, does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

Hi there,

I'm personally not a big fan of weight loss or reduced fat varieties...I think it's best to just cut back their calorie intake, but I would continue to use a formula with adequate amounts of protein and fat. Most of the weight loss formulas reduce the fat and/or protein...I think it's better to just cut back on the quantity.

When I have a foster with weight loss needs, I cut back on their food quantity, but also add some low-cal veggies so that they still feel like they're getting plenty in their dish and feel full.

ETA: Obviously I wrote this while Julie was posting...sorry for the repeat of information ;-)

I also cut back on portions when my mutts start to put on a little bit of weight. I'll reduce the amount of kibble in the cup just to the point where I can tell there is actually less in there. After a few weeks, if the weight hasn't reduced, I do that again. Eventually I get to the correct amount and that's usually where I'll stay for a while.

I don't food any special weight loss food either.

I do canned pumpkin. However much you cut the kibble by, add that amount of canned pumpkin back in. Mix it in well. They love it, and then they don't feel like they're being deprived,

A

I do canned pumpkin. However much you cut the kibble by, add that amount of canned pumpkin back in. Mix it in well. They love it, and then they don't feel like they're being deprived,

A

Thanks, canned pumpkin has come up a couple if times. In what form is this pumpkin. The only pumpkin I am aware of is the stuff you make pies with. Thanks.

In the stores they sell pumpkin pie filling, and just plain canned pumpkin. Only difference is the pie filling has all the spices in it. You want the plain. I get a gallon can for under $6. at Smart & Final. Not sure if you have those up there. Regular grocery stores have it, too, but smaller cans for more $$,

A

Ditto what Angie said about the weight loss food formulas. It would be best to stick to a good quality, "regular" food and just feed less as the others said. I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but Lilly had porked up a bit there for a while, and when I made the switch to a grain-free food, the pounds dropped off.

Thanks guys, I am going to look into dog foods a little deeper and feed the guys less. I will go back to regular feeding when they get back to hard work. It is so hot and humid today I am not going to work them or train with them at all. I love the idea of the beans, I would never have thought of that. Smitty you mention grain free food. The food I use contains some grains. This brings up the question, what is the optimal food to feed a working border collie. I am currently using Medi-cal but really only because I was told it is good I do however expect it is a general dog food. With our new lifestyle and working situation perhaps I should be looking into a different food.

Hi there,

When I have a foster with weight loss needs, I cut back on their food quantity, but also add some low-cal veggies so that they still feel like they're getting plenty in their dish and feel full.

What kind of veggies besides green beans? Scooter loves carrots, etc., but I recently read somewhere the veggies shouldn't be raw because they can't digest them. :rolleyes:

Scooter loves carrots, etc., but I recently read somewhere the veggies shouldn't be raw because they can't digest them. :rolleyes:

Well, it can be complicated, but basically, it has something to do with dogs not having enough of the enzyme needed to break down plant material in order to digest it properly. If you cook the veggies first, this takes care of that. I usually cook a bunch at once and then put them in the fridge for the week. Veggie mush is a favorite in my boys' dishes :D

My dogs also love carrots, but I use them sparingly because they are a high glycemic veggie - meaning sugary - equaling pounds! But broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, okra, and green beans area all great as low cal fillers. Corn, potatoes, and carrots are fine too - but they are startchy and the calories will add up quick.

What kind of veggies besides green beans? Scooter loves carrots, etc., but I recently read somewhere the veggies shouldn't be raw because they can't digest them. :rolleyes:

My youngest dog loves carrots but then on the other hand anything that fits in the mouth is fair game. I give him a carrot once in a while, he will play with for a couple of hours and slowly eat it. I have noticed however that it does manage to get thru him in about the same condition it went it.

Well, it can be complicated, but basically, it has something to do with dogs not having enough of the enzyme needed to break down plant material in order to digest it properly. If you cook the veggies first, this takes care of that. I usually cook a bunch at once and then put them in the fridge for the week. Veggie mush is a favorite in my boys' dishes :rolleyes:

My dogs also love carrots, but I use them sparingly because they are a high glycemic veggie - meaning sugary - equaling pounds! But broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, okra, and green beans area all great as low cal fillers. Corn, potatoes, and carrots are fine too - but they are startchy and the calories will add up quick.

This is why I love this board, I learn something every day. My dog that seems to have a digestive problem as I pointed out in another post has an extreme urge once in a while to get out and eat grass like a cow. Of course around here this does not work in the winter time so I keep a stock of spinach on hand. When he has the urge I give him spinach and he loves it. Good dog, it is my favorite to.

Thanks for the info on the raw veggies. I'll cook up some "veggie mush" tonight! :rolleyes:

That's why I love this board too! Someone always has an answer, no matter the question. I'm so glad I found it! :D I feel more at ease, knowing I can come here with any concerns I might have about Scooter. I tend to be a "worried first mom!" :D He is sooo precious to me. :D

Thanks for the info on the raw veggies. I'll cook up some "veggie mush" tonight! :rolleyes:

That's why I love this board too! Someone always has an answer, no matter the question. I'm so glad I found it! :D I feel more at ease, knowing I can come here with any concerns I might have about Scooter. I tend to be a "worried first mom!" :D He is sooo precious to me. :D

Nice comment, I know what you mean and how you feel. I can work or train all day with my guys and we go to some length to make it difficult. It can be hard and difficult and the harder the work the more of a man thing it is. My best dog of course is the toughest dog in the world. But at the end of the day in private I worry about my dogs and I want to be certain I am giving them the best life and care. I hug them and I thank them for making my life richer and better. You and the folks on this board are helping me do just that.

One of my favorite things to make for the dogs in the fall is freshly baked pumpkin.

I take a small pumpkin and cut it in half and take out all of the seeds. We roast those for ourselves.

Then I take the pumpkin halves and put them in a glass baking dish with about an inch of water at the bottom. I cover it with foil and bake it for about a half hour or so at 350 degrees.

Once it's baked, I spoon the soft pumpkin out of the harder skin and chill it before adding to the dog's food. I usually freeze some for later.

We live in farm country and you can get pumpkins at roadside stands very cheaply, and I find it a fun fall thing to do.

Just remember - if your dogs aren't used to eating vegetables on a regular basis, start by giving them small amounts at first. Giving them too much if they aren't used to it doesn't always agree with their stomachs.

Heh!

And roast pumpkin means there'll be less pumpkin pie to fatten me up... Weightloss all around!

I presume sweet potatoes might be substituted in a similar fashion?

Are we busy designing menus for Suka? :rolleyes:
Yup. :D

Been reading up on the feeding threads like mad - Much to learn, little time in which to grasp it all. Things aren't like they were, when I was younger and had dogs - Then, you fed canned or kibble, and not bloody much to choose from. Even at the Rescue, it's more simple. Usually, we're trying to put weight back on them, and are not particuallyly worried about maintaining a consistently healthy weight for life - we never have them long enough for maintenance to become an issue.

I believe corn makes dogs fatter...thats how commercial beef farms fatten up the cattle---high corn diets. I know that our old GSD was packing on the pounds until we switched her to a grain free/corn free diet. I would personally stick to green beans and broccoli. Joy tells me they are her favorite :rolleyes: