BC Boards

He did it !!!! CGC

I am so proud of Rebel. We took our 6 weeks of Canine Good Citzen Classes and had our Final Exam this morning. Of course I was more nervous than him. He had 10 stations he had to pass. He did it with flying colors. Rebel is almost two and has had some issues with some things and he has come a long ways. Our next venture will be Advanced Obedience. I've been taking him to the nursing home where my mom is and is meeting and greeting all the residences there. Just wanted to share!!!

Congratulations on your good work but, perhaps more importantly, on going to the nursing home and bringing joy to the residents.

I know that when I take one of mine to a nursing home, many elderly residents remember fondly the "farm dog" of their youth and enjoy a visit with a working stockdog.

Congratulations!

Solo passed the CGC test a few months after I got him. We worked very hard to pass that test and I consider it one of our prouder accomplishments. He passed it on my birthday, too.

Where do you find out about these classes? I volunteer at a nursing home and I've been taking Birdie since she was 10 wks. old. We live in Denver Colo.

How Old do the dogs have to be to take the classes?

Thanks for any info!

Originally posted by Sorienew:

Where do you find out about these classes? I volunteer at a nursing home and I've been taking Birdie since she was 10 wks. old. We live in Denver Colo.

How Old do the dogs have to be to take the classes?

Thanks for any info!

Actually, you don't need to take classes to pass a CGC exam. They are quite simple, just some basic obedience. You can check out CGC on AKC.org. It will give you all of the exercises your dog will be asked to perform. I believe that the dogs have to be 9 months old to take the test.

The dog can be any age to take it. Dazzle took it at 5 months! If your dog is ready at 8 weeks (I doubt it though) then you could take it then the only reason you CAN'T do that is because they HAVE to have their shots already. So that does but kind of an age limit.

And Border Colliez,

To take it, you don't have to do ANYTHING with the AKC. You don't even need to send in for your official certificate. Any dog (mixed breed too) can take it and it really is a great program (the one thing they do well!). Getting your CGC is not like getting your MATCH agility title. Some people are probobly so anti-AKC that they won't do a CGC but most people are not. It is not the same as registering with the AKC and letting them know "Hey! I am a Border Collie and I want to be on your side!". That is probobly why know one really cares.

Originally posted by Kat's Dogs:

The dog can be any age to take it. Dazzle took it at 5 months! If your dog is ready at 8 weeks (I doubt it though) then you could take it then the only reason you CAN'T do that is because they HAVE to have their shots already. So that does but kind of an age limit.

And Border Colliez,

To take it, you don't have to do ANYTHING with the AKC. You don't even need to send in for your official certificate. Any dog (mixed breed too) can take it and it really is a great program (the one thing they do well!). Getting your CGC is not like getting your MATCH agility title. Some people are probobly so anti-AKC that they won't do a CGC but most people are not. It is not the same as registering with the AKC and letting them know "Hey! I am a Border Collie and I want to be on your side!". That is probobly why know one really cares.

Well, the reason we have CGC's on our dogs is for homeowner insurance purposes, and without the certificate, you have no proof. No it's not the same as registering with AKC. But, if you read these posts, these anti-AKC people do not want dogs competing in AKC events, which to me, is the same as CGC, it's still an AKC sponsored event, no matter how you look at it, even if you don't send in for the certificate. It cost $$ to take it, it's not free, so you are still supporting AKC, which I don't have a problem with.

Thanks for all your nice comments. When I signed Rebel up for CGC I didn't know that it was AKC affillated. We have been taking different obedience classes and two agility classes. We take classes at Super Dog Sports Center in Simpsonville, Ky. Marilyn our instuctor has two training arena's and full agility course in the building. I asked her advise on what Rebel needed next and she said that she would like to see him do CGC with some issues we were dealing with. I did have the option of sending in form for a certificate to AKC. It asked if he was AKC or IPL. He is not. Not sure what IPL is ??? Are BC's on BC board members of this? I just enjoy going to classes with him and training him and to have respect for just owning a BC is challenging. Thanks again ! Diana

As a CGC evaluator, I can tell you that AKC does not get any "revenue" from someone just taking the test, other than the $1.00 cost of the test form, which is paid by the organization offering the test. Any money you pay to take a CGC test other than that dollar is profit for the club/organization or payment to the evaluator. If you do choose to send in for a "framable certificate" AKC charges a separate $5, but that is done by choice of the dog owner, not a mandatory thing. They do not even consider "CGC" as a "title", because it IS open to all dogs, registered or not, and they only grant titles to AKC registered dogs.

I have had a number of instances where people were required to show proof that their dog passed a CGC for homeowners insurance, adopting rescue dogs, and also by landlords. Recently, I did an "emergency CGC test" on a 12 year old unregistered Rottie (looked great for his age!)because the landlord's insurance co. was insisting on it or the people were going to be evicted. They had lived in the house with that dog for many years, but when the lease came up for renewal, they were going to be kicked out or have to get rid of the dog if they didn't comply. Luckily, he was a star and everything turned out fine.

It cost $$ to take it, it's not free, so you are still supporting AKC
It is who puts on the test that decides if they want to charge or not. So, actually, it is free. The only reason the place can charge is to cover the cost of putting on the test (printing, ink, crew, etc.) AKC doesn't get the money - that is, if the host is charging at all.