BC Boards

California AB 1634 [Mandatory Spay/Neuter]

More info here, here and here. Huge thanks to State Senator Gloria Negrete McLeod. Many folks [i was one] visited her office and talked the ears off her terrific assistants -- they listened politely, asked good questions, and doG bless 'em all. It's dead.

[Check out this letter from the bill's author. And for a hefty dose of crazy, go to the bill's website and wade through the lies and half-truths [shudder]. Eternal vigilance is the price of keeping our dogs safe from these wingnuts.]

Huzzah! I faxed letters to all the Senate Local Government committee just this morning, but I doubt they were the cause of this wondrous victory! I'll write to thank Negrete-MacLeod tomorrow. What a relief!

But remember...without eternal vigilance, it can still happen....the PETA people really are crazy. And determined.

Amy

Yes thank goodness the current version is no longer the beast that it once was. I still oppose most of the current version for many reasons; it is a slippery slope as someone else put it to me today.

We know that the bill's supporters will simply go town-to-town with their MSN crusade and then when they have enough municipalities on board they will go back to the legislature with a "mandate". They have a huge war chest to pursue this goal with. I am not exactly opening the champagne, yet. I do feel that the full version will resurface again and soon. As others have posted, we have to continue to be vigilant about local and regional proposals.

But, I send out huge thank-yous to all who have worked so hard against this bill, both in 2007 and 2008!

--Billy

I do not have that positive a view of the new bill, although it's certainly much better than the original in all its previous versions. As I read the new version, if someone makes a complaint about your dog (regarding anything other than barking), which need not even be in writing, you "shall" be fined $50, without regard to whether the complaint is valid or not. If another complaint is received -- again, whether or not it is meritorious -- you "shall" be fined $100. And if a third complaint is received, your dog "shall" be spayed or neutered at your expense. So three unfounded oral complaints -- from a malicious neighbor or from some AR person who believes no dogs should be left intact -- accomplish the same result as the old bill with respect to your dog. No exceptions where spay/neuter might be dangerous for health reasons. And the bill also bars any legal cause of action you might have against the governmental body that does this.

With the Committee chair as co-sponsor this bill is almost certain to pass out of Committee, I suppose, but I sure hope it dies thereafter.

Atop the arguably unconstitutional lack of due process the new bill presents, I also see it also as a "nose under the tent" kind of situation - A bill (and potential law) that can be quietly amended piece by piece, once it's in place, until it becomes what the AR folks want it to be.

Yup. They're fanatic, and do not give up.

Ever.

Only by being equally fanatical in our efforts to put them back in their box, can we hold them off.

Well, I just watched video of the committee hearing and vote, and from that it is evident that the new AB1634 requires the spay/neuter of every dog and cat in California, with no exceptions or exemptions. A complaint -- oral or written, anonymous or otherwise -- of some other violation of the dog laws must be made by someone before you can be cited for having an intact dog, but that complaint need not be valid. Upon the first unjustified complaint made against you, you can be fined $50 for having an intact dog. Upon the second unjustified complaint made against you, you can be fined $100 for having an intact dog. Upon the third unjustified complaint made against you, your dog will be spayed or neutered at your expense. So any AR fanatic who thinks that all dogs should be spayed/neutered, or that there should be no stockdogs because livestock should not be raised, can procure the spay or neuter of your dog, at your expense, simply by falsely complaining three times that s/he saw your dog running loose.

I don't see how this can be viewed as anything other than universal mandatory spay/neuter in California. And unfortunately, the committee sent it forward, by a 3-2 vote.

ETA: On June 22, Judie Mancuso, the bill's author, wrote her supporters: "[O]ur coalition remains committed to AB 1634. My initial reaction [to the new version], along with others, was disappointment. However, after reviewing the new text and understanding the possibilities contained in the bill, I am happy to remain a sponsor and a supporter, and I hope you will do the same."

I am sure she and her supporters will exploit those "possibilities" to the fullest if the bill is enacted in its current form.

That is, frankly, insane.

It's a gross violation of due process, among other things. It's time, people, to get LOUD in your state representatives' ears. Explain to them the violation of due process, as Eileen so clearly stated, and let them know that you are *watching* them, and how they vote, and that you will *remember* how they vote.

Politicos, like any other single-celled organism, will flinch from heat and pressure. This is how the AR people are manipulating them; it's time to turn the heat and pressure to a much more noble purpose.