BC Boards

Border Collie abuse

My friend has neighbors that had Border Collie pups (4) a year ago. They sold 2. They still have 2, a male and a female. They never put an ad in the paper or on the pc so they had a hard time selling the 2 that they did sell. Now these 2 are a year old and the problem is, these poor dogs NEVER EVER get outside. She said the last time she saw them out was over a month ago! She is always home so she would know. On top of that they got 2 more bc pups from somewhere. One a 3 month old female and another a 2 month old male. Supposedly they are half siblings. The year old female had a collar put on her and all she did was lay down and acted like it was the end of the world. The male dog barks constantly at everybody when he is outside. The house smells bad because the poor dogs are never outside. What kind of crazy people would do this to a dog? These dogs will end up put to sleep because they never get out of the house to get socialized. Nobody will want them. The owners are even trying to give them away, but still not with an ad in the paper, just some dumb sign that was on their car. The other dogs get out, but only when the kids come home from school. Thats bad too, puppies need to be out every couple hours, not just in the afternoon. Im not sure but i think these dogs spend a lot of time in a 4x4 dog crate made out of baby gates. They also NEVER get their dogs their shots or never deworm them. My friend knows this because she will occasionally ask if they had their shots. They always have some excuse and it is not money. What would you do in this situation? These people are something else and you cant get anywhere with the mother of the family. So talking to her does no good at all. We do not have animal control around here. I just know all their dogs will end up sick since none have shots. Currently they have 5 Border Collies and one Rotty.

Thanks for your advice.

Land of 15,000 lakes but no animal control? :rolleyes: I like the idea of going to the house and offering to take them off their hands, then getting them into rescue. If any dogs needed rescuing, it sounds like these do!

Here's a link to Wisconsin Border Collie Rescue. I would contact the rescue and then coordinate a way for folks to get the free dogs and get them into rescue. Click on "Who we are" for contact information for members of this group. I'd certainly do this before calling the health department so that the dogs have a fighting chance of getting to a safe place.

J.

I agree with contacting a rescue. I don't think it is the greatest solution, but it's better than letting suffer. They'll also have a better chance of finding a home they deserve.

I _can not_ imagine a BC not being able to run. :rolleyes: What a neurotic mess they must be.

They may actually be fairly well adjusted. Sadly, the alternative to constant confinement is actually worse than being allowed to run loose in a backyard or just at large. After a while there'd be little difference, but for the pups there's a great deal of hope that the situation isn't as dire for their future as it seems on the surface.

I hope everything goes well and that these dogs can get into rescue and on to the new lives they deserve.

Maybe they are working them and you don't see them out running? Just try to look on the bright side.

If not, WTF are they breeding for. Send them to the board. LOL. I would NOT want a pup that wasn't well socialized.

I havent had a chance to get back here, since we were in a huge flood on Thursday and the city is a mess, but, there is an ad in the paper for those dogs. She still never sees the dogs outside and has not seen anybody yet come to get one.

It Is really bad for a BC not to be able to run!

I just remembered the BC rescue of Wis. and told her about that the other day.

Will let you all know what happens.

Thanks!

just a quick update here,

the boy dog was let out and drank for 10 minutes water that is in a basketball hoop bottom, you put water in it so it dont tip over, then after about an hour they wanted to go back in the house and the boy dog just went crazy trying not to get in, he did everything he could, he scratched at the door and they ended up lifting him up by his leash, practically hanging him just to get him in that place!! When my friend told me this, i started to cry. Something will be done asap!!!!!!!!!