BC Boards

I Am New

I am new to this board, just joined this morning. Recently moved to SW Ontario from Alberta. I have 7 BC's, one is world-class. I train herding dogs. Have worked with Scot Glen, Alvin Copp, George Stanbulic etc. I am an expert on goose and wildlife control with BC's and a biologist. I am looking for people close to SW Ontario in Canada or the US who have the same interests. I cannot locate anyone into BC's or herding comps or otherwise in my area. Please post or send me a PM. Thanks, I look forward to meeting you.

Welcome! How interesting your life sounds! You'll have to give us some ideas on how to teach our BC's how to control the geese. We have a boat here in Pgh. and the geese are always poopin' on our dock! Of course, it's on the end where we keep our boat docked. Figures! :rolleyes: Again welcome and look forward to hearing from you on the forum.

Greetings from a fellow Biologist! Nice to inter-meet you :rolleyes: I suppose with the folks you train with, you best have some nice dogs! So, tell us more about your dogs. Do you trial the goose dogs? There are lots of trials- did you look at the CBCA site? You must fee like a fish out of water without any trials/events!

I am new to this board, just joined this morning. Recently moved to SW Ontario from Alberta. I have 7 BC's, one is world-class. I train herding dogs. Have worked with Scot Glen, Alvin Copp, George Stanbulic etc. I am an expert on goose and wildlife control with BC's and a biologist. I am looking for people close to SW Ontario in Canada or the US who have the same interests. I cannot locate anyone into BC's or herding comps or otherwise in my area. Please post or send me a PM. Thanks, I look forward to meeting you.

Hi Dave!!

Welcome aboard. I have gotten lesson/clinics from Scott and Elvin but didn't know George gave lessons. You did want to see who of us was asleep at the wheel on their spellings of their names? I bet if you asked Scott or Elvin they would know names of people in your area.

I train goose dogs too....how do you start yours out. I train mine to work ducsk, geese, chickesn as well as sheep and cattle. I have five ponds on my farm to help train the dogs to swim. Our gov't is very anal about geese work where I live. How is it in your area?

Diane

I train goose dogs too - I'm just striking out sort of on my own this year. It's been fun learning what works for me (and what doesn't, ha!). I'm going to have to specialize in working out of boats because my main income area will be lake residences. Bet and I are learning how to do this now - I love it!

I work with dogs who start out with issues, mostly, so I make it easy. With a trained, confident, unspoiled dog you can "point and shoot," but my thing has always been building confidence in dogs who don't really know how to work to begin with, or are too scared or spoiled. I start very basically on sheep first, then on ducks on land, then on "broke" ducks on my large pond (I'd love to introduce swimming on a smaller pond as often this is a big hangup), then wild geese on neighboring farm ponds, then finally on wild geese on the lake.

I think all my Border Collies are world class in their own way, lol, but I'm wondering what you mean by that. Are you talking about a trained Open dog that you purchased? I think that's smart. I'd love to have the money for that, but alas, the best I can do is have my young dog fine tuned by a top handler.

We do have a dog trained up to PN (East coast ranch) by one of the continent's best. Working him is like being handed the keys to Dad's Caddy after driving an old jalopy for years - everything works as advertised and as you'd expect. :rolleyes:

Nice to "meet" you! I'm studying biology, though I'm aiming for something in the field of biochemistry at the moment (it's still early to know for sure, as I've just started).