BC Boards

Pac NW Summer Get Together

-------------------NEWEST UPDATES - updated 7/11 -----------------

PacNW BC Get Together

Sunday, July 20, 10am-whenever @ my house in Vancouver, WA, just off I-5.

Non-BC siblings welcomed!

I should have enough chairs for those attending but please bring whatever you like to drink (I'll supply coolers/ice to store drinks & bottled water), I'll supply a coldcut tray, breads, condiments, and chips. If you have a special diet, please bring your own. (changed from BBQ since grill is dead)

I'll have a kiddie pool and hose for the dogs, a mid-day+ shaded concrete porch and a large ez-up to put in the yard for extra shade - we don't have any shading trees. 4 acres fenced, with front yard separate (unfenced) for wary dogs. I do have an separate small area I can fence in by just adding a few fencing panels that I have.

There's a great camping location about 13 miles from my house at Battle Ground Lake (State Park) that offers cabins or bring your tent. Those who want to make a weekend of it can do that for Saturday: http://www.cityofvancouver.us/parks-recrea...egroundlake.htm

Please RSVP with #humans & #dogs by posting or through PMs. I'll be sending out directions/etc. this weekend to your Message Box on this forum.

Attendees confirmed

4 dogs: River, Diesel, Aero, Jaida - hosts

1 dog: Beau

2 dogs: Daisy, Juno +1-2 Adults

2 dogs: Lars, Buddy +1 Adult

1 dog: Ling +1 Adult

1 dog: Shelby +1 Adult

1 dog: Ollie +1 Adult

-------------------ORIGINAL POST--------------------

Last year, a few of us got together at the coast in Oregon. It was a fun time! The only thing I didn't like was that I don't think legally our dogs were allowed off leash (and that always makes me leary) and there was no way to contain the dogs (ie. Diesel got in a tiff with a passerby dog) and having 4 dogs it makes it more difficult to an eye on all of them in an uncontained area. Plus some newcomers this year may not have reliable off leash dogs.

This year, I've heard interest from Canada to Oregon so somewhere in between would be great. Let's generate some ideas about where this could happen and when and how many would be going. I'm going to assume a weekend. I'm available the following weekends:

June 21-22

July 12-13

July 19-20

July 26-27

Aug 2-3

ETA, aug date to 2-3

We didn't get to go last year. Maybe if it was a bit more north we could come this year :rolleyes:. Except of course that Dazzle is very busy in the summer.... Of those weekends I think Dazzle is only free on these two:

July 19-20

Aug 1-2 (Actually the weekend is August 2-3.)

July 12/13, or 19th/20th may work for us....August 2/3 does not. We'd be two people, one dog.

I do agree, RR, that it's a good idea to plan in a way that accommodates anyone who might want to come...a secure area of some sort. I wish I had a great idea...but I don't. We'd love to come though :rolleyes:

I'm definitely interested in going, and could go further north than we went last year. But my husband works Saturdays during the summer, so we could make a Saturday night/ Sunday kind of thing.

The weekends I'm NOT available are easier to list

June 14-15

June 21-22

July 26-27

August 2-3

Early July or after the first weekend in August would work best for me. I'm not sure about where we could go where the dogs could be contained better, though I do remember the issue last year with that passerby dog (NOT Diesel's fault IMO, but still I can see how that would have stressed you out a little).

Any ideas about where to go?

ETA: A friend of mine is having a 40th birthday bash with "dog people" in two weeks, where she rented out a whole loop in a campground so we can have the dogs off leash and playing and there won't be anybody else around. I don't think it was very expensive, and it could work well. I could let you know how that works when I get back... that could be an idea.

So, I'm offering the use of my property and mudroom bathroom for this event, DH would like to keep the house off limits. I have recently fenced all 4 acres of pasture and including the backyard of my house. It's 4ft sheep fencing on 2 sides and higher fencing on the other 2 from the other neighbors (no sheep, but horses next door). I'm in Vancouver, WA about 1/2 way between the furthest interested parties (5 hrs to BC & 5 hrs to OR/CA border).

I have hay galore which by mid July should have been freshly cut and baled. There's a several feet elevation drop midway which is great for tiring, I mean conditioning fetching dogs. I have a kiddie pool we can use for the dogs to lounge in and I can borrow my neighbor's big BBQ and we could do a lunch. Everyone bring a lawn chair and we have the makings of a picnic like atmosphere.

Solo could totally hang in the front yard, which is unfenced to the outside world but would keep him 'safe' from 'annoying' dogs that must play play play. There's actually a patch of grass where we park our trailer & pickup that is unfenced, but is surrounded on 3 sides by the fencing. Could move the vehicles out and you & Solo could hang there with you going in and out of the gate to the fenced area as needed. :rolleyes:

At the last event some of the dogs there didn't want to play with other dogs (River for example) and were more excited to fetch once the frisbees were pulled out of hiding.

There's a great camping location about 13 miles from my house at Battle Ground Lake (State Park) that offers cabins or bring your tent. Those who want to make a weekend of it can do that as well. http://www.cityofvancouver.us/parks-recrea...egroundlake.htm

Based on Clara's suggestion, was thinking of Sunday around 10/11am until whenever everyone wants to head home.

Please post your thoughts.

So, I'm offering the use of my property and mudroom bathroom for this event, DH would like to keep the house off limits. I have recently fenced all 4 acres of pasture and including the backyard of my house. It's 4ft sheep fencing on 2 sides and higher fencing on the other 2 from the other neighbors (no sheep, but horses next door). I'm in Vancouver, WA about 1/2 way between the furthest interested parties (5 hrs to BC & 5 hrs to OR/CA border).

I have hay galore which by mid July should have been freshly cut and baled. There's a several feet elevation drop midway which is great for tiring, I mean conditioning fetching dogs. I have a kiddie pool we can use for the dogs to lounge in and I can borrow my neighbor's big BBQ and we could do a lunch. Everyone bring a lawn chair and we have the makings of a picnic like atmosphere.

Solo could totally hang in the front yard, which is unfenced to the outside world but would keep him 'safe' from 'annoying' dogs that must play play play. There's actually a patch of grass where we park our trailer & pickup that is unfenced, but is surrounded on 3 sides by the fencing. Could move the vehicles out and you & Solo could hang there with you going in and out of the gate to the fenced area as needed. :rolleyes:

At the last event some of the dogs there didn't want to play with other dogs (River for example) and were more excited to fetch once the frisbees were pulled out of hiding.

There's a great camping location about 13 miles from my house at Battle Ground Lake (State Park) that offers cabins or bring your tent. Those who want to make a weekend of it can do that as well. http://www.cityofvancouver.us/parks-recrea...egroundlake.htm

Based on Clara's suggestion, was thinking of Sunday around 10/11am until whenever everyone wants to head home.

Please post your thoughts.

Great idea...Thank you for offering! I'm in with Ollie.

Sam

So here's the summary so far,

Sunday, July 20, 10am @ my house in Vancouver, WA. I'm just a few miles inland off I-5.

Bring your own chairs and drinks, I'll supply coolers to store drinks, burgers and dogs and chips and stuff. If you have a special diet, bring your own and we can grill it for you. I'll also have a kiddie pool for the dogs and a shaded concrete porch and a large ez-up to put in the yard for extra shade - we don't have any shading trees.

I can send everyone PMs with my addy and stuff as it gets closer and as details get nailed down.

As always more suggestions/etc are welcome!

I would love to go. W/O the dear dear BF this year (he was a little bit of a drag last year and kinda killed my fun) poor guy was overwhelmed by the border collies.

but would need to ask about ride sharing as I just sold my car and haven't yet bought a new one

I'd love to come to this one of these years: it would be delightful to see a mob of BCs play! I'm in N. CA, just south of the Oregon border. One of our daughters recently moved to Portland, and I'm really feeling the tug (heh) to explore the PNW.

Unfortunately, DH, Kaylee and I have a family reunion to go to that weekend. Maybe next year!

• 1 month later...