BC Boards

McDonald's: Enemy Becomes Friend

When I first got Buddy, the drive-thru was a Very Bad Thing. The disembodied voice, coming from a machine. The scary lady who took my money. The even scarier guy who stuck his arm out and tried to PASS FOOD to me through the window! Aiiee! It was five minutes of out-and-out attack - growling, barking, lunging.

Thursday, I went to go pick up a burger for supper, and the guy in the machine said, "Can I help you?" Buddy went absolutely crazy... with happy barking. To the point that I couldn't place my order, because every time the guy spoke, Buddy would answer him, loudly and cheerfully. Sincerely, I think he wanted to place his own order.

Talk about positive training and desensitization! I honestly didn't try to work on this issue, because it's so rare in my life to go through a drive-thru while the dog is with me. But obviously, at this point, Disembodied Voice = Burger or Chicken! Woo hoo!

I love it when Buddy retrains himself and I don't know he's doing it. :rolleyes:

Mary

I make sure all my rescues go through Drive Thru Training (it's a rough job, but someone's gotta do it). It's a really great way to conquer any budding vehicle territorial stuff, as you noted.

Sadly, now on I'm on Weight Watchers, so only the dog gets a burger! :rolleyes:

Can't say I've ever taken my dogs through a drive-through and bought them a burger, though I have friends who do it. The funny thing about that is my friends are vegetarians themselves but they take the dogs to McD's for burgers. :rolleyes:

When we were little kids, the bank drive thru was our favorite because they always sent you a lolli. We always made sure the teller saw us, so she wouldn't forget. I swear my dogs do the same thing at the bank. The bank is the best stop of the day! It shoots out cookies!

The bank is the best stop of the day! It shoots out cookies!

Yep, mine shoots out biscuits!

As for the drive thru, McD's french fries or a bit of a double cheeseburger are about the best positive reinforcements I can think of.....works on me!

LOL, we do the same thing to help Poke with his car anxiety. Ever since car= occasional people food treat, we have had great improvement. You can't leave your dog in the car in AZ , for obvious reasons besides the fact that it is illegal, so the only car rides the dogs go on usually involve food or petsmart. I wonder if everytime we leave they think we are getting food?