BC Boards

The lambs got out

Yep, my good dog Tex.

For those who don't know, Tex is fully blind from trauma he received in puppyhood. no light, no shadows, nothing, his world is what his feet, nose and ears tell him.

The 3 dogs and I were just coming back from a long walk in the fields when I noticed Tex doing the herdy slink towards the barn. Three of the lambs were thru the fence. I hung back with Loki and Nell but stayed close in case he got himself into trouble with the mama sheep and the 8 yearling veal calves on the other side of the fence.

Tex got lower and lower in his herdy slink approach to the lambs. When he was very close, he stopped and a curious lamb approached and touched his nose. Tex jumped up, but went back down into his herdy slink and began to move the lambs towards the fence. He took them around a big round bale of hay, over to the fence and pushed them 30 feet along it to the barn. The lambs scattered once and he deked them out and put them back on the fence. It blows me away everytime that a dog with no eyes has this much 'eye'. The lambs were pretty tiny and I didnt see much chance of him being hurt by them. Tex is also supposed to be a bc/spaniel mix but of my 3 dogs ( one Americanbred and one Britishbred) Tex shows the most interest in being with the livestock.

Some lambs got out again later, so I took Nell over and she got a turn at putting them back in. She's well trained but she was too tired out from our long walk to do much. She is still out of shape and grunts when she lays down but she'll get better.

Now I'm wondering where I could get some really teeny, tiny wethers for Tex to work.

Yep, my good dog Tex.

For those who don't know, Tex is fully blind from trauma he received in puppyhood. no light, no shadows, nothing, his world is what his feet, nose and ears tell him.

The 3 dogs and I were just coming back from a long walk in the fields when I noticed Tex doing the herdy slink towards the barn. Three of the lambs were thru the fence. I hung back with Loki and Nell but stayed close in case he got himself into trouble with the mama sheep and the 8 yearling veal calves on the other side of the fence.

Tex got lower and lower in his herdy slink approach to the lambs. When he was very close, he stopped and a curious lamb approached and touched his nose. Tex jumped up, but went back down into his herdy slink and began to move the lambs towards the fence. He took them around a big round bale of hay, over to the fence and pushed them 30 feet along it to the barn. The lambs scattered once and he deked them out and put them back on the fence. It blows me away everytime that a dog with no eyes has this much 'eye'. The lambs were pretty tiny and I didnt see much chance of him being hurt by them. Tex is also supposed to be a bc/spaniel mix but of my 3 dogs ( one Americanbred and one Britishbred) Tex shows the most interest in being with the livestock.

Some lambs got out again later, so I took Nell over and she got a turn at putting them back in. She's well trained but she was too tired out from our long walk to do much. She is still out of shape and grunts when she lays down but she'll get better.

Now I'm wondering where I could get some really teeny, tiny wethers for Tex to work.

That's one of the coolest things I've ever heard! Did Tex do this before he went blind or is it totally on instinct?

Tex was blinded at 5 mos of age and spent the first 5 years of his life in a shelter type environment. When he came to live with me, he had the chance to be around livestock. He loves helping but there is so much potential for him to get hurt. It sounds silly when he's already blind but I really have to worry about him losing an eye from running into something sharp or getting hurt by dog stomping farm animals. But there are days like today, where he gets a chance to do his stuff and it goes well and I am further in awe of my wonderful dogs. Tex has never been trained. He is supposed to be a mix and yet he has this wonderful instinct and will to work.

I read/heard from someone once, and for the life of me I can't remember where from, that there was a Border Collie that was blind and worked like it could see everything he was doing, all because of his other senses working. Someone watching this dog work didn't know the dog was blind until its own told the spectator. Its truly amazing the things these dogs can accomplish even with limitations to their physical make up.

Way to go Tex. I think he would enjoy working some :rolleyes:

Our old Rocket, a farm-bred Border Collie/Aussie cross, was shot by a hunter when he was just a couple of years old. The shot (NYS did not allow rifles for deer hunting but buckshot and slugs were legal) went into his rump mainly, obviously at fairly close range. The plastic wad must have struck the back of his head, where it split the skin pretty badly and caused a significant concussion.

Rocket's eyesight was never good again and, for all intents and purposes, he eventually became "legally blind". He would trip over unexpected things in the field and miss the tailgate of the pickup on occasion (and once mistook a closet door for his beloved Lisa). But he worked the cows for years, took on a cranky bull that threatened Ed (Rocket got him by the nose and hung on for a wild ride as the bull spun round and round), and helped save Ed's life from the angry and over-protective mother of a calf with pink-eye).

No, you couldn't tell he was virtually blind unless you knew it. He could follow hiking paths, go along on miles-long horseback rides, work stock, make his way around the farm and house, and function nearly as well as a fully-sighted dog. As he aged and his other senses declined, he would veer off the path or get himself "misplaced" more and more, and then he would stand still and bark until one of us came and got him, and showed him where he was.

Like many other animals, he never seemed to worry about his "handicap" - he just went ahead and did. I'll bet he's real proud of Tex right now!

:rolleyes: That's my good boy Tex!! Just so you know, I'm one of Tex's favourite people :D He is a really cool fellow and I'm not in the least surprised he did the job :D It must be those duck eggs he's getting to eat now :D Jo, give him a big scruffle for me. Living on the farm is going to be a great adventure for all of you!