BC Boards

OT: Little Aussie need help...

Hi guys I need some advice and help. We have had someone drop a young female Aussie in my neighborhood. She is small and skinny. I have wormed her and gotten rid of her fleas and ticks. I have three dogs already and the hubby has put his foot down and counted to three on this one. I can't let her stay. I have tried to contact a local mini aussie rescue and they won't take her. She is toog good to just go to the pound. Do any of you know of an aussie rescue or someone who could recue her in the Middle Tn area? I need to do something before friday. I am leaving town for a week. I know this is alot to ask but please point me in the right direction... Here is a picture from this mornings play session. Please ignore the pole, we are planning out a deck.

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

She mentioned middle TN. If it were me, I'd try contacting some of the herding or agility clubs in the area to see if someone would be willing to foster her, or perhaps be willing to take her. Maybe send an Email with a photo at first. She looks like a lovely girl. Best of luck.

I think I was hoping due to the fact that she is quite petite and we don't have a local standard aussie rescue that they might be able to help. She is 16" at her shoulders and only 22lbs. My Timber (standard aussie) is quite the horse at 21" and 65lbs, so she just seems so small to me. :rolleyes:

I don't know much about aussies but I do know that some folks are breeding the smaller regular aussies to get a more aussie-like mini aussies.

So yes this dog could be a mini aussie. Not all many aussies look like mixes which many probably are...

Even if this one is not a mini aussie per se, she is small enough that a sport person would probably be very interested.

Have you tried contacting ARPH (Aussie Rescue and Placement Hotline)? They do a great deal of good rescuing, fostering, and rehoming Aussies. They have a website.

There is also a West Tennessee Border Collie Rescue (and an East Tennessee one, also, I think) that might be able to help or give you some contacts - they are great folks.

Best wishes!

RDM, If we could get a transport going I would gladly let you have her. I know you would get her a good life. I am still looking into other options...

Amy,can you get a courtesy listing on Petfinder? I know you said you have to find a solution by Fri so time is short. I ran into an almost identical situation several years ago. I rescued an Aussie mix that had been dumped at the trailhead one week before I was going out of town. I was desperate to find someone to take her while I was gone and the local Aussie rescue said they don't take mixes :mad: I ended up pleading with a neighbor who had a fenced yard to take her just until I came back from my trip, and then I'd figure something out. She and her husband relented and when I returned home and called her to take the dog back, she asked if I'd mind if they kept her...they'd fallen in love with her(despite the fact that as her husband noted, she didn't have much "curb appeal") It's been about 6 years and I see them almost daily on their walks. They are completely devoted to one another. Makes my heart swell every time. The dog still remembers me and I always get an enthusiastic greeting, though she's very reserved around strangers. (Sorry to hijack your thread, must be the painkillers.) Anyway please keep us updated. You can count on me to make a contribution to finances for transport, if that's an option.

Because she is so small I sent another email to the Mini Aussie Rescue and he is coming out tonight to take a look and evaluate her. Once I explained to him she was only 16" and 22lbs he was more interested. I really think she is a mini. She is atleast 8 mos old so I think she is about done growing. She is just so little and fine boned. But then again I am used to bigger dogs. Ruger and Timber are about 60 lbs and about 21". I am also not used to females. I know they can be finer boned. I hope he is interested. She deserves this.

Well guys good news!!! The guy from the Mini Aussie Rescue came out and evaluated her last night and he was sold! She won him over in less than 3 seconds. He says he has someone who has been looking to rescue a larger mini and he thinks she will fit the bill! I am so happy I almost cried! So I sat down after he left and we had a grooming session and I made her beautiful for her new home. The rescue is picking her up Friday morning before work and she is going straight to his vet to be vaxed and spayed. Thanks so much for the thoughts and prayers, it worked! I love a happy ending. She coudn't be a more deserving dog! :rolleyes::D

Well she went with the new foster this morning! They have named her Ruby! It fits too, becuase she quite the little gem. :rolleyes: She is going to be just fine! This does feel good. I know in my heart she will have a great future.