BC Boards

Semi OT -Yorkshire & dogs

A week from today, we head to Yorkshire for 2 weeks. We're making a big circle from Holmfirth to Wensleydale to Thirsk. No, we aren't taking Fergie. At 10, she doesn't need the stress of noise and pressure changes - which always make her bonkers at home with us - while alone in a hold for 8-9 hours.

Anybody else planning to be in the area? Any events we should try to make? Any suggestions at all?

This is (I think) our 6th trip there in 11 years. We hike the dales, admire the cows and sheep, stay in small B&Bs, and try out as many pubs and hand-pulled ales as possible.

That's why we go to Thirsk. The World of James Herriot musuem is fantastic. It's in Alf Wights real house and surgery, but it also has the set for the series. And you can sit in Herriot's car out back.

The B&B where we stay (in the village of Dalton, between Thirsk and the A1)is the home of a couple who went to school with Alf's son & daughter. Alf, then his son, were the vets they called when they had ot come up with "the brass" for expert help with their stock.

We fell in love with the dales about as fast as Herriot does. And it - and the people there - are jsut as they are in the books. A tad more modern, but just as wonderful.

I really love all the Herriot books. My copies have been worn out and are falling apart with reading and rereading.

I also have Barbara Sykes' "Understanding Border Collies" and it's a great book, in my opinion.

As for your trip(s), I'm extremely green with envy. My hubby got to visit Yorkshire a couple of years ago and loved it. My son has been there a couple of times for work. I get to sit at home and yearn...

Have a great trip!

Hi Nancy - bright green down here too! It's nearly 25 years since I spent a little time driving around Herriot country, but my memories of it are still clear as can be. I just loved the whole area.

(That was the same trip I visited Orkney too - how come you're not taking an extra week to go up and visit with Snorri?)

Have a wonderful trip - and make us all even more jealous by telling us about it when you get back - with pics.

Our son & his wife visited Skye and that area a few years ago and loved it. They and a gentleman who wears his kilt to church every week keep trying to convince us to visit Scotland. Maybe next time.

This time we're starting with Holmfirth because we love "Last of the Summer Wine". SO much so that DH has been trading DVDs with folks all over the US and we now own copies of almost all the shows and specials - and even the pilot. And that's over 30 years worth!

For Scotland, we'd fly directly there (well, at least get the whole way by plane) and make that our whole vacation. We prefer the hiking part to the driving part so limit ourselves to a small geographic area.

And it's hard enough to leave Fergie for 2 weeks.

Nancy, I lived in Sheffield which people call a dirty picture in a golden frame !!! I made frequent trips out when I could but nowhere near enough. I shall particularly envy you if you get to go to Syke's place. I actually got in touch with her once with regard to herding and she was absolutely lovely ! And PLEASE post tonnes of pictures.