BC Boards

Female or Males

Easier to own  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Female

• Yes
  2. 2. Male

• Yes

I love both. Absolutely no preferance. I own both and love both exactly the same and when the time comes to get another dog - whether its a male or female will make no difference to me :rolleyes:

In my experience males tend to mature less quickly however, females, because they mature quicker become more independant than males. Because of this i've always felt males are more cuddly than females. They seem to enjoy cuddles on the sofa more. Whereas my females in the past, and the one i have now still enjoys cuddles but not nearly to the same extent as my males have done and do.

As for the training, well, in all honesty, i'd have to say my male learns a lot quicker than my female. However, i tend to find this is because my female over-analyses everything! Where-as with my male he keeps things simple and it seems to just come naturally. But then in the past i have owned other females and they have learnt commands faster than you can snap your fingers. Both my males and females have been house broken very quickly, very little difference between them. So i really don't think there is much difference. I think it comes down to how the dog learns and the best approach for the dog. I think males and females are both fantastic and i'd never base a decision on a future dog according to its gender :D

One of the funniest things I used to do to Rhea when she was a puppy was give her a blow belly (blow on her tummy...before it was completely covered in hair) I could, and would never do that to Gunnar.

:rolleyes: I'm so glad you do this too! I used to do it all the time to my Riley (girl) and for some strange reason have not given Skye-dog her share of belly blows (just enough pink covered in very fine fur to make it one of life's sweetest pleasures!)

I'm off to do that now...she'll be surprised if she's sleeping...

Ailsa (I've clearly got my priorities straight - belly blow before dinner)

Aw, the boys can get belly rubs, too.

I can't really vote, because I've only had female (spayed) BCs. But all of our other dogs are boys.

We've had male and female coonhounds, and of those, my two absolute favorites are males. But we had a female many years ago that I was pretty crazy about, too.

When I was growing up, our dogs were males... of course spaying wasn't so common a hundred years ago :rolleyes: .

My ideal pack for the last umptydump years has been three or four males and one female. And the female ALWAYS rules the roost.