BC Boards

Female or Males

Easier to own  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Female

• Yes
  2. 2. Male

• Yes

Now I am sort of biased when it come to females. Having grown up with them my whole life. I have just always heard they are easier to train. They train faster. Their temperaments with childern, other dogs are better, and they are much easier to house break. I have never owned a male. So I dont know for fact. Comments/stories?

Well, it's not letting me register a vote, but I like males better. I strongly disagree that females have better temperaments and are easier to housetrain, and if you've never had a male I'm not sure what you're basing that assumption on. I think it mainly has to do with the individual dog. My males are much more easygoing than my female is. I agree that females may train faster earlier on, as many agree that some males take a bit longer to mature.

I rarely answer this question - it seems to me like asking, "Which is longer, a string or a noodle?" There's so many variables that it is impossible to make generalizations, unless you have specific tastes like not liking living with males or whatever. But then that's personal.

I prefer females, but they most certainly do not always get along better with other dogs (and that especially applies to other females, if you have more than one in your pack). I think the "easier to train" thing comes from the fact that females in general mature a little more quickkly than males. I just don't like typical male behavior, but I have to say that the male I kept out of Twist's litter is a hoot and a half, loves everybody, and seems to be coming along just fine with stockwork (he's actually a bit ahead of his littermate sister at the moment, but that's partly because he's way less sensitive to correction, all thanks to that particular brand of make block-headedness!

As others have said, it really just comes down to personal preference.

J.

I'm kinda in between. I used to say females only, but then we got Gunnar. Females are easier to train in the beginning because they mature faster but males usually catch up. I think that males end up being cuddlier too. It really is just preferences. One this is always true though. It's a lot easier, and more enjoyable I think, to rub a female dogs belly than a males. Males have this certain something that just seems to get in the way of a good belly rub. :rolleyes:

This is hard for me to answer. I basically have to agree with Becca in her post...

I rarely answer this question - it seems to me like asking, "Which is longer, a string or a noodle?" There's so many variables that it is impossible to make generalizations, unless you have specific tastes like not liking living with males or whatever. But then that's personal.

Right now, I live with 2 males and 3 females. In the past, I've always preferred males, but Nykie has bonded so closely with me that it's making it really hard to say which I prefer. If I was to take on another dog, I would let the pup/dog choose me instead of looking at just males or just females, because Nykie has shown me another side to females. I'm close to Presley, too, but not as close as I am to Nykie, if that makes sense. Out of all of the dogs that I've ever been around or worked with, it always seemed like the females would bond more to my husband and the boys would bond to me, no matter how much time I spent with them. I had been told, when I was younger, by my mom's groomer that males generally preferred female owners and females generally preferred male owners. I found that to be true in most cases, until I had a GSD a few years ago that would have nothing to do with my husband, but we felt that was due to her past. Then, Nykie came into our home. :rolleyes:

One this is always true though. It's a lot easier, and more enjoyable I think, to rub a female dogs belly than a males. Males have this certain something that just seems to get in the way of a good belly rub. :rolleyes:

Um... just how low are you rubbing those bellies? Maybe I just don't rub bellies all that much, but I've never run into any such issues with any of the males I've had or known.

Um... just how low are you rubbing those bellies? Maybe I just don't rub bellies all that much, but I've never run into any such issues with any of the males I've had or known.

Well unless you're rubbing their chest, only about 30% of their belly (area past ribcage) is open to free rubbing. Maybe Gunnar just has a long ribcage I dunno. One of the funniest things I used to do to Rhea when she was a puppy was give her a blow belly (blow on her tummy...before it was completely covered in hair) I could, and would never do that to Gunnar.

I much prefer males. They seem to get over things easier than females(in general). I think females hold grudges! :rolleyes: The boys just seem more jovial. I find them to be just as intense when it comes to work. But they are more comedic it seems. JMO, of course!

I'd agree on that one. Gunnar is definitely more happy-go-lucky.

I have no preference, but I seem to keep ending up with males. I have three males right now and my previous dog was a male. I was looking for a female sheltie when I came across Shiner. Not a female or a sheltie, oh well. I never had any problems with mine fighting though, and they are all easy to train.

I prefer females, of my own 4 dogs I have 3 feamles and a male..I would really rather not seek out another male lol, as much as I live Rusty, he is a PITA. of the 6 dogs in my house, the 2 males are the worst when it comes to fighting and neediness, my females dont fight, EVER. they argue, but not once have they ever fought. the only dogs I have ever had that could only be off leash in certain places were males. I used to have 3 males, the 3rd was no exeption lol

that however has simpley been my luck, I just happen to have had horrable luck with males and great luck with Females, so I tend to always lean towards females.

I think it makes a difference whether they will be desexed or not. I prefer males, but all of mine have been neutered so I haven't had to worry about the marking, etc. In saying that, Delta is my heart dog and can do no wrong in my eyes, but I can admit that she isn't as easy-going or loving as Cody and Charlie.

I think I will always have 1 of each sex, although if I got a 3rd dog it would be another male.

Ive had many females in the past but after getting a male I was sold. It always depends on the specific dog of course but I have found males to be much more friendly, loving and goofy. Males IMO are easier to housebreak as well but I do recommend getting them fixed. Well, I recommend doing that for ANY dog unless they are an absolutely fine working dog and they are going to be bred.

My wife likes females however so go figure. I think she likes the female bonding thing or something and I totally get that too. But personally it just boils down to liking some of the likely traits males have in their personalities and they tend to be larger which I also prefer.

Males IMO are easier to housebreak as well but I do recommend getting them fixed.

I have had the opposite experience, though I guess my comments are directed more at when accidents *do* happen in the house. Female accidents generally result in a puddle in *one spot.* The male pup I most recently raised would walk along while having his accident and so there'd be a trail of urine through the house. I found the puddle much each easier to clean up! :rolleyes:

J.

Well, we used to have a male dog a Cairen Terrier when I was young, and he was a little piss ant. He lifted his leg on everything! I have a female Maltese, and she's no better. But when we looked into getting Misty, I knew I wanted a female, because I didn't want to have to worry about my curtains being pee'd on or my furniture legs, etc. I find, this female, to be very easy to train, and so, I would have to say, I prefer, female over male. Although, it is sometimes harder to distinguish whether she's just sitting down, or squatting. LOL That was our only real dilema while first potty training! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I like females better than males because they seem to be less dominant. Usually males try to be the best while females just want to play. Males seem to have more energy, and females seem to be more demanding. I have a female aussie, and she is extremely trainable. Females are more focused in training, for my opinion. She playsdifferently with males and females. With females, she usually plays tag/chase, and with males she usually wrestles. Oh, and I heard that females tend to be much better watch dog because of their instinct to raise offspring. Well, that's it! Thanks, bye :rolleyes:

post-8162-1202694151_thumb.jpg

From my experience, I prefer males. I have never had dominance issues with them. They have always had well balanced temperaments and have been the perfect family dogs. Actually, something that struck me was someone mentioning in this thread that males seemed to be easier to house train. That's pretty funny! I just realized that it's true for me too!

My foster females were always difficult to house train, but the one male I foster once was excellent. As was Mickey. Molly was pretty good for housebreaking (by the time she was 5 months) and Mickey was house trained in a week.

Now I am sort of biased when it come to females. Having grown up with them my whole life. I have just always heard they are easier to train. They train faster. Their temperaments with childern, other dogs are better, and they are much easier to house break. I have never owned a male. So I dont know for fact. Comments/stories?

I can't vote, but like Laurae, I disagree about females having better temperaments. No idea where you heard that! :rolleyes:

I like females better than males because they seem to be less dominant. Usually males try to be the best while females just want to play. Males seem to have more energy, and females seem to be more demanding.

Wow! Obviously I can't say I disagree, because this is clearly what you have experienced, but it is complete opposite of me. Any male dog I have ever met/owned/dogsat has been MUCH less dominant, more friendly and easy going.

I always say my Boys are my do'ers... My Girls are my thinkers...

Throw a tennis ball over the cliff? My boys will all jump over to grab it :D

My girls would stop on the edge and say You want us to do WHAT? :rolleyes:

I find the boys far more laid back, the girls are the dominant ones, the protectors, the aggressors.

I can bring as many boys into my house as I want and I rarely have a issues... BUT bring in another girl and at some point they usually test my girls. I have 3 ages 11-5-3 and they all get along great. They are the queens of the house no question.

My boys NEVER test them.

I LOVE my girls and they are super loyal, they love to work for me and work hard when they do.

My boys sleep in my bed and snuggle. My girls are far more keen to lay in their beds but yet would be the first to follow if I walked away.

Cindy

http://www.bordercollierescueont.com

I've only ever had males, not on purpose, it just worked out that way. None of them, I've had six including the three I have now, have ever marked. Well, one marked outside, but never tried it inside. I kept a female I found stray for a couple months, and I did not enjoy her, but it had nothing to do with her being female. Training wise, she was easy to train and easy to housebreak, but she was scrappy and fear aggressive. I really think it depends on the individual dog...with my males, one is velcro and cuddly, one is aloof, one is assertive...one is easy to train but is a very difficult dog due to his intelligence, another can barely sit on command but is incredibly easy to manage, and then the other wants nothing more than to please, but has so little focus that he is hard to train too. I can't really say "males are like this..." because mine are all so different. If/when I get another dog I would like a female, only because I've never had one before, but I have no real preference.