BC Boards

So, my dog is a genius

Today when I got home from uni, I realized that for the first time EVER, no one was home, and for the first time EVER I had forgot to stick my keys in my purse, and for the first time EVER, the spare key was not where we usually keep it. :rolleyes: Plus, it's now snowing and freezing outside.

So I rang the doorbell a couple times just in case my sister's BF was downstairs or something... And Gypsy started barking from inside. I peeked in the window and when she saw me she got super excited, jumped up against the door and in a matter of seconds, she had unlocked the door for me! :D

This summer I had taught her to open the door at a friend's cabin so I don't know if she was remembering that, or just really hyper and excited to see me and unlocked it by complete chance... but I told my little sister about it and she said "Oh yeah, Gypsy unlocks the door for me all the time when I forget my keys!"

I love border collies :D

I had a foster lock me out of the truck once. I had loaded the dogs up to go sheepherding, started the truck, and realized that I had left something in the house. The electric locks didn't work, but the silly dog jumped on both of the manual locks in the time it took me to go inside and come back out. Unfortunately none of the dogs in the truck could open the locks, so I had to get a coat hanger and reach for the door handle while the dogs looked out at me like I was crazy. Now, if I leave the dogs in the truck, I always leave one window cracked enough that I can reach in.

Emily

I am too paranoid to leave my keys in the car without leaving a window cracked enough for me to unlock the door manually if I have too. Glad you were able to get the door open

Yeah, I was really surprised (but thankful!) when it actually happened. I would train her to do it on command, but I'd be scared she might let someone in that's not supposed to be in :D So let's just hope that she remembers to let me in next time I forget my keys :rolleyes:

And on a similar note to the car locks... My sister cannot have the window open when her dog is in her car, because he sticks his head out and then steps on the close window button and chokes himself. Luckily she was able to pull over both times he did that. I guess not every dog can be as smart as border collies :D

And on a similar note to the car locks... My sister cannot have the window open when her dog is in her car, because he sticks his head out and then steps on the close window button and chokes himself. Luckily she was able to pull over both times he did that. I guess not every dog can be as smart as border collies :rolleyes:

Hmmm... one of the first times Ouzo got into our new SUV, he stepped on the window down key while trying to get his head out the window, and that was while the car was moving in traffic!!! Luckily I was on the passenger seat and turned around quickly and pushed him back in the seat while Chris was suddently discovering the WINDOWS LOCK button :D It's been on ever since :D

I go with my friends to lunch and they try to open the windows and look at me for help, I laugh and have to explain we have the "Ouzo lock" on :D

What a good girl Gypsy! The only time Mirabelle has ever helped out in that department was when I was pumping gas and she stepped on the lock and locked me out of the Jeep. After 15 minutes of me acting like a fool through the window, trying to get her all excited so she would hit the lock/unlock button, she finally did and I was able to get back in. LOL From that moment on, I don't leave the Jeep without the keys when the dogs are with me. I do believe that she could do it on command if she wanted to, but I'm sure she will only follow through when it would benefit her. (There have been a couple of unexplained kennel escapes.)

I'd probably start thinking about a deadbolt, but that's cool.

Zia locks the back doors in the car. Always. And we never see her do it--even the ten-year-old sitting in the backseat with her can't catch her at it. I suppose she might do it to the front doors too, when the car is parked, but I'm physically incapable of getting out of the car without my keys so it wouldn't be a problem.