BC Boards

NEW HERDING TEST FOR BORDER COLLIES AIMS TO INCREASE NUMBERS ACHIEVING FULL CHAMPION STATUS

Katelynn & Gang

NEW HERDING TEST FOR BORDER COLLIES AIMS TO INCREASE NUMBERS ACHIEVING FULL CHAMPION STATUS

The Working Test which Show Champion Border Collies must pass to gain promotion to the title of Champion is to be replaced by a re-designed Herding Test from next year.

The introduction of the Herding Test aims to increase the number of Border Collies that achieve full Champion status. Like the original Working Test, which was introduced in 1992, the Herding Test is a limited version of a sheepdog trial. Its purpose is to safeguard the future development of the Border Collie by emphasising the importance of the breed’s natural herding abilities.

The new test will come into force from 1st January 2008, and interest is already being expressed by a number of owners. The test will consist of five principal elements – Outrun, Lift, Bring/Fetch, Inspection and Drive. The requirement to work sheep into a pen has been replaced by driving the sheep through a gate in the boundary of the test field. Distances have been reduced compared with the old Working Test, and dogs are not required to lie down between the Outrun and the Lift sections. The time limit remains at 12 minutes. Dogs must now be at least 12 months old at the time of application for the test.

With the agreement of the International Sheep Dog Society, Herding Test judges will be appointed by the Kennel Club rather than from among ISDS Sheepdog Trial judges. Two judges will officiate at each trial, and the first three official judges approved by the Kennel Club are Marion Turner, Ann Jordan and Mike Conde, all of whom are active in showing Border Collies as well as in Sheepdog Trials.

Caroline Kisko, Secretary of the Kennel Club, said: ”The Kennel Club is pleased to be able to respond to the requests of Border Collie owners by introducing a Test which will help to ensure the breed’s herding instincts continue to be valued.”

Norman Lorton, Chief Executive of the International Sheep Dog Society, commented: “The International Sheep Dog Society welcomes the introduction of the revised Kennel Club Herding Test for Border Collies that are to demonstrate their sheepdog skills. Maintaining the innate behaviour that make this dog what it is - the most intelligent and capable worker in the dog world - is most commendable, and owners and dogs will have enormous fun doing it!”

A diagram illustrating the sections of the Herding Test is attached.

5th November 2007

ENDS

[303.07]

For further press information, images or interview requests please contact:

TheKennel Club Press Office

020 7518 1008

press.office@thekennelclub.org.uk

www.thekennelclub.org.uk

For Application Forms for the Herding Test:

Zoe Tharmasingam, Working Trials Obedience and Agility team, The Kennel Club. Tel: 0870 606 6750 Ext 313. Email: zoe.tharmasingam@thekennelclub.org.uk

NOTES FOR EDITORS:

The Herding Test has been introduced following the recommendations of a Working Party with members drawn from the Kennel Club, the Border Collie Club of Great Britain, the Border Collie Breed Council and the International Sheep Dog Society (ISDS).

The Border Collie breed was first recognised by The Kennel Club in 1976 and was given Championship status in 1982. The Working Test was introduced in 1992. Border Collies which have been awarded three Challenge Certificates under three different Judges (at least one when the dog is over 12 months old) are entitled to be described as Show Champions. To become full Champions they must additionally have passed the Working Test or, from January 2008, the Herding Test.

Since the Working Test was introduced, only one Border Collie has passed the test to become a Champion. There are currently around 100 Show Champion dogs and 110 Show Champion bitches.

The Herding Test will be reviewed in 2011, with the possibility of introducing a higher level test for an ‘Excellent’ qualification.

The revised herding test for Border Collie Show Champions

Further details on the Herding Test

Between five and ten sheep will be used in each test; cattle will not be used for the Herding Test. The Outrun and Bring/Fetch distance will be approximately 140 metres, and the Drive distance approximately 50 metres (the equivalents in the Working Test were 200 metres and 100 metres).

There will be exemptions from the Herding Test for dogs qualified for entry in International or National Trials affiliated to the ISDS; dogs placed in the first six in an Open Sheepdog Trial affiliated to the ISDS, where a minimum of 25 dogs had competed; or dogs placed in the first three in any Nursery or Novice Trial affiliated to the ISDS, where a minimum of 12 dogs had competed.

Dogs will be required to pass each section of the test and to pass overall. A pass mark will not be used, but a description of each section will be prepared by the approved judges, detailing what is necessary and what the minimum requirement will be to pass.

There will be no limit on the number of times a dog may take the test, although it may only take one test on one day. Dogs may be handled by anyone, not necessarily the owner, as it is the dog’s herding ability which is being tested.

Applications for the Herding Test can be made immediately to the Kennel Club (forms available from Zoe Tharmasingam, Tel: 0870 606 6750 Ext 313). It is planned that tests will be held between June and October, staged by the breed clubs. Owners will apply to the Kennel Club, normally between January and April, with an application fee of £25. Once the applications have been received, a test day or days will be arranged following liaison with the breed club nearest to the majority of owners. Breed clubs will be also be free to arrange their own test date and advertise it beforehand, with the applications still being submitted to the Kennel Club.

So, that's going to be the minimum competancy they'll aim for, to "safeguard the future development of the Border Collie by emphasising the importance of the breed’s natural herding abilities."

So what has the ISDS been doing for 100+ years? Emphasizing the breed's natural squirrel hunting abilities?

Reinventing the wheel - kennel clubs are so great at that. "This wheel is too heavy - let's make it out of bamboo instead of metal. Ooops, now we can't actually use it. Oh, well, no one really needs wheels, right? It's a really pretty wheel - with some flowers it makes a charming decoration for your driveway."

Melanie,

I suspect it was less ISDS being complicit and more like what AKC does here: "this is what we're doing, like it or not." That is, there's nothing ISDS could do to stop it, so they let it go. The course looks pretty much like a small pro-novice (east coast) course minus the pen. I suppose actually putting sheep in a pen isn't really necessary on a farm, and since it's easier to get them to go through an opening in a fence line, that's now the standard for work that's needed on a farm. I wonder what's required in the inspection--give them a quick glance as they go by while turning the post?

At any rate, I don't think making it easier for show collies to get their herding championships will change the fact that most of them will be fairly useless for other than the most basic farm work.

J.

Only one show dog has passed the current working test, so the test much be wrong eh? :rolleyes:

Exactly. Obviously if they need to prove that they are maintaining the working ability in the show dog, and only one show dog has been able to pass the working test, then it must be the test and not the dogs. The really funny part is that people might actually *believe* that! :D

J.

I suspect it was less ISDS being complicit and more like what AKC does here: "this is what we're doing, like it or not." That is, there's nothing ISDS could do to stop it, so they let it go.

Well, not really -- they made all the proper supportive noises and they really didn't have to do that. They could have come out and said, "This test is rubbish and we want nothing to do with it," but they didn't. Very disappointing.

By the way, Solo could pass this test. And he's pretty. All he needs are some Neuticles. Kennel Club, here we come!

The really funny part is that people might actually *believe* that!

I doubt that they "might" actually believe that - people will believe what they want to believe. I think that folks like that will repeat their mantra over and over again and, at some point, probably truly believe in it. They will certainly mislead the gullible.

To say you are further limiting the test in order to "...to safeguard the future development of the Border Collie by emphasising the importance of the breed’s natural herding abilities" and "...help to ensure the breed’s herding instincts continue to be valued” is an oxymoron.

Norman Lorton, Chief Executive of the International Sheep Dog Society, commented: “The International Sheep Dog Society welcomes the introduction of the revised Kennel Club Herding Test for Border Collies that are to demonstrate their sheepdog skills. Maintaining the innate behaviour that make this dog what it is - the most intelligent and capable worker in the dog world - is most commendable, and owners and dogs will have enormous fun doing it!”

I have always had a very high regard for the ISDS. The above quote certainly does nothing to maintain the esteem I have felt for the organization. While I would have instinctively felt as Julie does, this quote makes me agree with Melanie as it apparently seems that the ISDS is complicit or, at best, spineless about the matter. The only positive aspect of the quote is that, with an easier test that is more obtainable, maybe more KC folks will be willing (and able) to at least pay slightly credible lip service to working abilities.

...Herding Test judges will be appointed by the Kennel Club rather than from among ISDS Sheepdog Trial judges.

I am not surprised that the KC is going to provide their own judges rather than using ISDS judges. That will allow them to manipulate the tests to whatever degree they want or need to get the desired results - more "champions" and more happy, deluded owners of (and breeders of, and sellers of puppies of) so-called Border Collies.

I have always had a very high regard for the ISDS. The above quote certainly does nothing to maintain the esteem I have felt for the organization. While I would have instinctively felt as Julie does, this quote makes me agree with Melanie as it apparently seems that the ISDS is complicit or, at best, spineless about the matter. The only positive aspect of the quote is that, with an easier test that is more obtainable, maybe more KC folks will be willing (and able) to at least pay slightly credible lip service to working abilities.

I guess I just view it a bit differently. If I were a representative or member of the ISDS in a country where the border collie breed is already clearly split (and pretty much acknowledged as such) between working sheepdogs and show border collies, I don't think I'd really care one way or the other what the show collie folks did. When understood from that POV, then perhaps the ISDS is acknowledging that *anything* that at least requires some semblance of working ability in the show-bred border collie is better than *nothing,* but of course I can't get inside the heads of the folks who are the ISDS so maybe I'm just making up a story that fits my personal beliefs. The fact that the ISDS judges won't be used further enables the ISDS to distance the working sheepdog from the show border collie, and by not insisting that ISDS judges be used, the club has, IMO, taken away the one bit of cachet these working tests might have had (as in using ISDS judges might have given them some real credence in the general public's eye--at least that general public who understands the distinction between the dogs of the ISDS and the KC--and by agreeing to let KC judges do the job, the ISDS has effectively removed that "stamp of approval"). Just my opinion of course.

J.

Julie - You are right in that we don't really know quite what they are thinking about this. There does seem to be more of an acknowledged split in the breed over there (although to listen to many KC folks, there is no difference between their dogs and the working-bred dogs, except that their dogs are more "perfect", "beautiful", and "versatile"), and perhaps much more of a "live and let live" attitude from the ISDS folks. I don't think they feel the least bit threatened by the show folks and their breeding as they know what constitutes a good breeder of good working dogs, and won't confuse the KC dogs with the working-bred dogs.

Too many people over here equate AKC with "quality" and are clueless as to the realities of what show breeding does to formerly purposeful breeds. They don't really know what a genuine Border Collie is and believe the AKC mantra that breeding for form will maintain function.

Dumbing down the test will just further delude people into believing their own hype and allow them to have that all-important champion designation without really proving the value of their dogs as working sheepdogs.

The fact that the ISDS judges won't be used further enables the ISDS to distance the working sheepdog from the show border collie, and by not insisting that ISDS judges be used, the club has, IMO, taken away the one bit of cachet these working tests might have had (as in using ISDS judges might have given them some real credence in the general public's eye--at least that general public who understands the distinction between the dogs of the ISDS and the KC--and by agreeing to let KC judges do the job, the ISDS has effectively removed that "stamp of approval").

I absolutely agree with you here.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone living in the UK and owning two ISDS Border Collies (both also registered with the Kennel Club in order to compete in agility), I can assure you that most dog people (even Border Collie owners) have absolutely no understanding about what a true Border Collie is. And the split isn't just between working-bred and show-bred dogs, it's also obedience-bred, agility-bred etc etc. I like my working-bred dogs, that way I feel I have a proper Border Collie - not something that looks like a BC but whose potential working skills will dilute as the generations progress.

I suspect the ISDS will be quite happy that its judges are no longer officiating at these working tests. At the same time, it won't want to fall out with the KC as that won't do either organisation much good, hence I think the diplomacy of the wording of their response.

p.s. if you fancy a laugh - have a look at this video: On the Beach - Anglesey - mine are the two collies and the dark brindle.

Thank you for your "on the spot" comments on what the situation is over in the UK. I would think that those over there who are involved in the working sheepdog world do know what constitutes a "real" Border Collie. I am afraid that the general public and the KC world do not. That is pretty much the situation over here.

And the split isn't just between working-bred and show-bred dogs, it's also obedience-bred, agility-bred etc etc.

This is also the same situation over here. I have a friend with an AKC-bred Border Collie. He and I have amiably agreed-to-disagree on whether or not the KC-bred dogs are really Border Collies (or, rather, Barbie Collies). That said, his attitude (and he is a great dog-owner who provides his breeder-purchased and rescue Border Collies both with a terrific, active, and loving home) is that you go to the AKC (American Kennel Club) for a Border Collie, and seek one from a kennel and/or lines for what you want - conformation-bred, obedience-bred, performance-bred, etc.

If the dogs don't have the instincts and physical attributes that made the Border Collie breed, who cares as long as the dogs do what you want them to do as performance/pet animals? Many people feel that's the only use of the dogs that is really relevent now (another indication of folks in general being out of touch with where their food comes from and what it takes to produce it).

So, not only do folks splinter the breed into working-bred and non-working-bred, but further into those bred primarily for conformation showing, obedience competition, agility competition, pets (often those that aren't promising for any other "venue"), etc.

I don't have a problem with folks breeding lines of working dogs to accomplish certain jobs and goals as the breeding satisfies a genuine need of the farmer/stockman - as long as the general nature of the breed remains distinct and intact. I do disagree with "custom breeding" for frivolous purposes, just as I do with the "designer breeding" of cross-breds.

I read the history of the formation of the KC border collie club on their website some time back. The person who wrote about her experience did not perceive a live and let live attitude. She said she got spit on. She also provided the interesting sidelight that Matt Mundell in his border collie magazine started a British Dog Wars over the issue of KC recognition. Sure wish I could find a complete run of that publication.

Matt Mundell was a Scottish agricultural writer and trialer. He was murdered by his wife in, I think, the 1980s, might have been later.

Penny

So, Penny, are you saying that a lady involved with the KC was the one spat upon because she was into KC-bred Border Collies and this was done by someone involved with working sheepdogs/Border Collies? I know that feelings can run quite hot from both sides of the argument.

My impression of "live and let live" was from my admittedly rather limited experience. Thanks for elaborating about another person's point of view.

We all tend to think of the attitude over there as more easy going. In the early days, I gather it was not. To find this, Google: "Border Collie of Great Britain" history

I was heartened to see that there was a loyal opposition. We don't hear about it much. All the AKC folks ever say is that in the U. K. no one cares one way or the other. Apparently that was not the case.

Here's the quote from the conformation/obedience club written by Marion Leigh Hopkinson:

In the very early days, we hoped for support from the I.S.D.S. and to that end I, and one or two more, went to the Sheepdog trials - no such luck!

I personally was spat on, sworn at and generally given "the boot"! One or two were good to us and quite sympathetic, Alan Robers always stood by us and we had a lot to thank him for.

The Trial's men were "up in arms" against us and an enduring battle of words in letter form took place in Matt Mundell's Scottish Sheepdog Handler, a monthly publication for the Trials scene.

Thanks, Penny and Eileen. I am grateful to see (although I don't condone rude behaviors) that the "KC-ization" of the Border Collie was not welcomed (and was seen for the danger it is) by the working sheepdog/Border Collie community.

Maybe my experiences are simply based on people who are being discreet about their feelings, particularly when talking to someone they don't really know (myself). The UK judges that I've spoken to were rather quiet on the matter, which I took as not concerned by it. Perhaps they were just being polite and close-mouthed about the issue.

I read the link that Eileen posted. Very interesting. All so a "Border bitch" could get her "just title". That sounds precisely like what is going on in Canada right now with regards to the recognition of the Border Collie by their kennel club.

I was glad to see that the ISDS had the backbone at the time to take a strong stand against the KC's involvement with "Border Collies" (I use quotes as, if the dogs at that time were of AU/NZ breeding, then they were Barbie Collies rather than real working sheepdogs/Border Collies).

I just hope that ISDS is not more condoning now of the KC "Border Collie" than it was then. I would rather see a total breed split than the confusion and "bleeding" of working-bred dogs into the open stud books of the AKC that we have over here.

I had been involved in a rather lengthy discussion of this sort of matter on a British dog board. Initial welcome by the members and lip service to working abilities quickly gave way to total disagreement that breeding for other than working ability would eventually produce a dog that was no longer a real Border Collie. I was threatened with expulsion and chose to not participate any longer.

The sad thing is that folks with "Border Collies" who have been bred for show or performance or pet, think they not only have "the real thing" but that it is an improvement and perfection of the working sheepdog/Border Collie, and without a loss of any of its essential nature.

Sorry to stray a bit off topic, and thank you for the education!

"Perhaps they were just being polite and close-mouthed about the issue."

I believe this is the case with a lot of people.

Sometimes I think being blunt and utterly cold about a subject is the only way. When important people in the breed take a back seat and do not speak out about what is good and is not good for the breed, people get the wrong idea and think that just because its unspoken means its not really there, not really a threat or a problem.

It is so sad that there are millions who will never get to know the actually breed but only a by product of the show ring. A proper working bred Border Collie can and does excell at everything and its a shame that people cannot give that a chance and have to go about making up their own form of our beloved breed.

Katelynn

I had been involved in a rather lengthy discussion of this sort of matter on a British dog board. Initial welcome by the members and lip service to working abilities quickly gave way to total disagreement that breeding for other than working ability would eventually produce a dog that was no longer a real Border Collie. I was threatened with expulsion and chose to not participate any longer.

I'd be interested to know which board that was. You'd be very welcome to register for my forum and start off such a topic. You'd get people agreeing with you, and others not. It's a subject that has been discussed in the past there (in a previous incarnation of the forum), and will crop up again in the future no doubt. And at least there you'd get opinions not just from the breed folk.

Agility Addicts Forums