BC Boards

Where?

Geoffrey

If someone was interested in moving up from total newbie status to newbie-who-has-actually-watched-a-trial status and wanted to find out more, where would this person look for trial dates/locations? Would this person just show up and watch, or do they need to know the secret handshake (kidding)? What is the best way to go about this?

Thanks,

G.B.

For ISDS style, sanctioned trials you can go to USBCHA web site,go to sheep dog section and look for up coming trials. There is also a cattle dog section if your interesed in seeing those as well. As far as the other events from other herding clubs, maybe some one else can direct you to them. Have fun! Darci

Geoffrey,

A good place to go to watch your first event is a week from this coming weekend in/around Huntersville, NC at Rural Hills Farm. They have a website. If you google rural hills farm, you should be able to find it. DH knows I'm going to tell him I want to go. Maybe we'll see you there!!

Virginia Border Collie Association: Calendar

Georgia Stockdog Association: Upcoming Herding Events

USBCHA: Upcoming Trials

Upcoming trials in NC, VA, & GA

Oct 27-30 BORDER SPRINGS SDT, PATRICK SPRINGS, VA

Nov 2-4 13th Annual RURAL HILL SHEEP DOG TRIALS

Nov 10-11 MT. PLEASANT FARM SDT, STRASBURG, VA

Nov 17-18 BREEZY HILL FALL CATTLE TRIALS, GLADYS, VA

Nov 17-18 LAZY-J TRIALs, CARNESVILLE, GA

Nov 24-25 BORDER SPRINGS NOVICE SDT, PATRICK SPRINGS, VA

Nov 24-25 GA TURKEY TROT TRIAL, HULL, GA

Dec 1-2 VBCA WINTER TRIAL, STRASBURG, VA

Mark

After the coffee break thing, i was just going to lurk for awhile but quickly -- no, Rural Hill isn't my place, it's a large public farm. But i'll be there running 3 (maybe 4) Open dogs. Bring a lawn chair and sunscreen and come early. Wednesday afternoon they're running the Novice classes. Thursday-Friday is round one of Open, Friday afternoon-Saturday is round two. The 20 teams with the highest combined scores will run back on Sunday in a double lift trial.

Robin - No lurking allowed for you! You MUST contribute. I didn't read the coffee break thing (well, except first and last posts) but I can't see you posting anything inappropriate.

Wish I could come and volunteer and watch at Rural Hill. Having a job has its drawbacks, along with living too far from just about anything I'd like to go to!

Oh i'll stick around. I may just have to bite my tongue some after going to that "allbordercollies" forum and reading what some of the posters on this board are saying about us over there. It appears to mostly be people who aren't on this board any more, but i see some who are in both places. I'll just stick to "working stuff".

Marilyn - are you going to Rural Hill too?

Mark, Julie and Sue - wish you guys were all going too!

Don't know where in NC you're located but this trial is coming up just outside of Athens, GA.

GSDA Fall Trial

Nov. 24-25, 2007

Carol and Tom Patterson's Farm

261 Sanders Rd.

Hull, GA 30646

USBCHA Open Sheep & Nursery, Open Ranch, Pro Novice, and Novice

Judge: Lyndon Wilson, TN

For more information, contact Tony Phillips at newhopebc@aol.com

You might get more info from the Georgia Stock Dog Assoc.

http://www.gsda.org/

Go early on Sunday! It will probably end somewhat early and people often are packing up and heading out even before the trial is over.

The tickets are sold there - it's for the event, too - there's vendor booths and various old-tymey displays, plus music.

I'm going to try to make it but I've got a bazillion things going on right now (all good, but still crazy). Unfortunately, I'd be down on Sat, not Sunday.

I really want to go up and see the trial in Strasburg. I haven't made it to that one yet, and I don't want the first time I see the place, to be when I step out there with my dog! :D It depends on our car situation though (as does Rural Hill) - Bugsy the Brave (the Corolla) had a major heart attack the weekend of Edgeworth. She's getting a quadruple bypass this week which is supposed to make her good as new, but we'll have to see. :rolleyes:

Yes, you'll be ok. If/when we get there, we're going to leave our chairs in the truck, at first, and walk around. 2 yrs ago when DH & I went, they had other things going on as well, an agility course demo and a frisbee demo. When the young lady came out to demostrate the frisbee, I looked at DH and asked him if he had a good grip on JJ. He said yes. It was a good thing he did. JJ still goes nuts when he sees one.

Another reason we are going to leave our chairs in the truck is because of Jake. This will be our first time taking him and we don't know how he's going to act. When we walk up to watch the trailing and he starts acting up for any reason (like barking at the sheep and trying to go out onto the field), we're walking away asap. Bad manners will not be tolerated. (In Jake's other life before he went into rescue he was owned by an elderly man who was either using him for herding or training him for herding. I don't know how far he got with him or if Jake knows any whistle commands. If he does, I don't know what Jake's reaction is going to be in regards to hearing the whistles. I'm going to be especially interested in how Jake reacts in that evironment.)

No Robin... not going to Rural Hill. 600 miles is about my limit for travel for one trial :>)

BTW, if you want to take the trailer to Kentucky this weekend, I remembered that they park them on a nice flat spot next to the open field.

Also.... do you know if somebody (you???) is planning on posting the results for Edgeworth?

ETA: I'm staying with a friend nearby, but will have the new dirt bike for trying out there!

Hey -

Yeah, i decided to take the camper, can't resist my little box home.

I'm going to do a writeup and post the Edgeworth results as soon as Flo gets them to me. I'd guess maybe next week if i can get it done between getting home from KY monday and leaving for Rural Hill wednesday. I'll do just as soon as she sends them to me though.

Cool on the dirt bike! Mine ended up not working out, darn it.