BC Boards

I need a tutorial

Guest pax

I took poor Starr to the vet this morning in a rush because she was just....off. I knew there was something wrong but I didn't know what.

I am ashamed to admit the poor baby had to have her anal glands squozen or whatever the heck one DOES to anal glands.

WHAT IS THE DEAL? I have never, ever, ever, dealt with an anal gland. I can shove my arm up a horse's bottom like nobody's business but what the heck is an anal gland?

Somehow, it seems slightly off for Mother Nature to throw this kind of curve ball to a creature with CLAWS on the ends of their limbs.

I am Loser Girl.

ETA: I just thought....is it what I'm feeding her? Is it diet oriented? Does she need more fiber or pumpkin or something?

I really am an idiot. I saw her scoot once or twice and assumed it was worms, just like it says on that page.

Man. How did I get to be 40 years old and never without a dog friend and MISS this?

:D

I didn't click on the animation until now. It disturbed me a little to be clicking there. :rolleyes:

Ok, well this isn't too horrible. I can manage this.

Thanks for that link.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

You can manage it as long as there are no abnormalities that you don't know about. SoBe had major anal gland issues when I got him. I was taking him to the vet to have them expressed once every 5 days or so. The vet tried to show me how to express them myself both externally and internally but I just could not get it right. Even the vet had trouble with his sometimes so eventually I opted to just have them removed. Turns out, one of them had previously ruptured (I got him when he was 3) causing the walls of the gland to be abnormally thick and misshapen which is why he was having so much trouble in the first place. So really, removing them was the best option anyway.

Most dogs express them on their own when they go poop or if they get scared. Mojo expresses his like 5 times a day. Some of my other dogs only do it every so often. But normally, you will never know because it happens when they poop. If a dog's poop is never firm it may have chronic anal gland issues.

The dog that I just adopted out would evacuate his anal glands in response to fear (he was a bit of a wimp). The first time my Charlie corrected him for what Charlie perceived as inappropriate behavior, that dog screamed and cried and literally shat on my floor and evacuated his anal glands all over my kitchen and hallway and then ran and jumped on my couch! There is no worse smell in the world than that! And, I had a trainer coming over shortly, so I was desperately trying to clean my floors, air out my house (not easy when it is 90 degrees and about 80% humidity outside), and wash a dog's butt!

One of my sister's dogs used to have to have his anal gland expressed ever week or so. He eventually kind of grew out of it, but I think they still need to do it from time to time. I've been pretty lucky (knock on wood), but I've had a foster or two that needed to have them expressed by the vet. I am willing to do a lot of things, but that ain't one of 'em.

Ok, good point. :rolleyes:

So I'm assuming if I get it right, it's a work of a few moments, and other than some pressure, it shouldn't really be painful. Do you think that would be right?

So if I don't seem to accomplish anything within those parameters, I get them checked. Yes?

That is a good thing to know about the constant loose stool. Thank you. One of those interesting facts to tuck into my brain.

One of my sister's dogs used to have to have his anal gland expressed ever week or so. He eventually kind of grew out of it, but I think they still need to do it from time to time. I've been pretty lucky (knock on wood), but I've had a foster or two that needed to have them expressed by the vet. I am willing to do a lot of things, but that ain't one of 'em.

:rolleyes:

Well, maybe I'll get there myself. I don't know. But I can clean a horse's sheath and I've been icked with more stuff (amniotic fluid, poop, etc) that I am not too fussy about stuff like this, for the most part.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Personally, I am too afraid to do a dog's anal glands and it's not because of the ick factor It's because you CAN do damage if you don't know how to do it properly.

Whole Dog journal had an extensive article on anal gland issues and solutions a while back - I was actually planning on getting it out to read agin because Maggie's been licking down there more again. :\ If I recall correctly, some people have had great success by giving their dog a prune every day lol.

As this yukkey subject is being discussed, can i ask what you guys use to clean the dog's. Like with Holly she does sometimes have a problem, sometimes just getting excited and jumping around barking can cause it with her. You do instantly know though, because of that familiar smell. Now what i have been doing is getting some old cloth or kitchen paper towel dunking it in water with some doggie shampoo and wiping. There is not usually anything much to wipe, i presume a little goes a long way with the smell issue!!. Anyway this is not always convenient so i brought some baby wipes, not the ones with the lotion creme on them, just the plain aloe vero nice scented ones. I have used them once and the effect was good but i don't know if it is really a safe for Holly thing to use.

There must be some doggie spray or something to deodorise the smell on the fur but i haven't seen any.

I wondered what you guys did to clean, when there doesn't appear to be anything to clean, just a smell?

eta - Yes Bexie they do lick, or Holly does. Eeeewww

Guest WoobiesMom

Welcome to my nightmare Celia. :rolleyes: I have to glove up and do Woobie's INTERNALLY! So much fun! The nice vet tech didn't charge me to teach me how to do it and it saves me $13 a pop when he gets irritated. :D

Thank goD for Hill's z/d which finally worked on his stools and the problem is mostly resolved for now.

Is licking a sign of problems? Molly seems to lick in that area a lot but no scooting. I just assumed she liked to be very clean. Should I worry?

My vet once told me that licking wasn't necessarily an issue because that's one way dogs have of emptying the sacs. She told me not to worry about it unless it was persistent (ditto scooting) or if they seemed ill. Whenever I've noticed unusual attention to that area, it's usually resolved quickly--but we have had to bring one of our dogs in a couple of times for it. If it were a regular thing, I'd learn how to do it myself, but I don't mind paying for the vet to do it once in a while. it's awfully smelly.

As a vetran groomer of 25 yrs, I can give you a couple of different schools of thought here. First, instead of taking the dog to the vet if ya dont want to do it yourself, ( although after a few sucsessful times you'll see how easy it is) you can take the dog to your local groomer. I charge 6.00 bucks to do just glands. Your in and out in a few minuets. Second, if you do decide to do it yourself, dont have your face back there watching what your doing, cause if ya get them to let go, its gonna be all over your face. Ive seen a many a new gal have that happen, and although its pretty funny when it happens, ya just know its gotta suck. Also, most small dogs have to have their anals done more often. Larger dogs tend to be able to express theirs by themselves. Has to do with the spinkter muscles. I think thats what they call it. Doing them too often can cause problems too, so ask your vet when they show you haw to do them, to also show you how to check them first to feel if they need to be done. Darci

Molly licks that area quite regularly, but how do I know if it is because it's a problem or just because she likes to be clean or something? I'm not aware of anything bothering her. Guess I better read that URL...

As a vetran groomer of 25 yrs, I can give you a couple of different schools of thought here. First, instead of taking the dog to the vet if ya dont want to do it yourself, ( although after a few sucsessful times you'll see how easy it is) you can take the dog to your local groomer. I charge 6.00 bucks to do just glands. Your in and out in a few minuets. Darci

In some states, including MI, I don't think this is legal.

Barb S

Not that I have heard of, and I have groomed in Arizona, Utah, Ohio, Kentucky, and now am in NC. I am a long standing member of the National Dog Groomers Assoc. as well as a Certified All Breed Groomer, and Certified Master groomer. I attend many clinics throughout the year, as well as grooming contests and groom fairs, as well also, I get up dates and magizines from the NDGAA every month, and have for many years. If that was some thing that was not suppose to be done, I would think I would have heard about it some where. There is much debate about weather it is a grooming concern or a vet concern nowadays, as well as pulling hair from dogs ears, and a few other things that clients expect groomers to do for their dogs, and that has always been apart of a full groom service. There is one state, and I think it is New Jersey, where a groomer has to be liscensed much like a barber or beautitian, and boy when that day comes, I'll be the first in line! It may be illeagle in MI. But not anywhere else Ive ever worked. Im gonna put that to the groomers board and I'll have to get back with you on what they say. But as long as it is something that my clients know they are paying for, and expect it to be done, I'll be doing it. Its not some thing I enjoy, just part of the job. Darci

Geeze! To read that you'd think I was tooting my own horn. Not so much, as I just wanted folks to know that if, or more like when, I answer a post concerning something that is well within my grasp to comment about, that when I do, I am speaking as a seasoned, trained, knowledgable, professional. I hadnt heard much back from the other gals on the other board yet, but 2 that I have heard from say its not illegal, and BCBaxter also acknowledges it as well. Can I ask, where you got your information from? Darci