BC Boards

Pet Friendly Vacation Homes

Our vacations usually consist of a day or two in St. Louis, or Going Camping for 3 or 4 days. We are starting to plan for next years vacation, kinda just getting prices and things. We are looking at going to North or South Carolina, Maybe Florida. We are looking for places close to the a beach, we want to take our dogs(Lexy and Ky) with us. So we are looking for pet friendly, homes, cabins condos. anything that is reasonably priced. We are open minded and willing to try anything. Lexy and Ky have never been to the ocean or a beach, I think they would really enjoy it. Can anyone give us any suggestions, reccomendation?

Thanks John and Jennifer

Check this site:

http://www.topsail-realty.com/

Click on the dog.

We've used them. Topsail Beach is a lovely little town. The beach is dog-friendly, with poop bags at every access - and trash bins, too.

And it's just a bit off I-40.

I liked Ocracoke on the Outer Banks - we found a nicely priced rental house that allowed pets, and the beaches there are generally much less populous than elsewhere in the OBX area - Maggie wore her longline, but had plenty of space to run.

The only way to get to Ocracoke is by ferry or private plane. (I'm a 35 mile ride and 2 1/2 hour ferry ride away) But Ocracoke's beach is great. Even when the town is packed the beach is very uncrowded. 2/3 of the island is unpopulated, all federal land. The town is little, lots of places to eat a couple gas stations and a little grocery store. There are a few options for lodging. I think the Anchorage takes pets as well as several of the vacation homes. If you go, make sure you go to Howards Pub! Open 365 days a year. Good food too! :rolleyes:

I understand that the highway - basically the only road - on Okrakoke will be under construction for a while. Not sure, but I think you can get on from the south but can't get off towards Hatteras.

The beauty of Topsail is that it's just off I-40. We made it from Durham in 2 hours. The Outer Banks took 6!

As the OP is coming from the west, that makes a big difference.

We also found the Outer Banks lovely for exploring but not much fun for swimming. The surf was way too rough all the time. Well, that's why they are the outer banks, isn't it?

There is a National Park Campground on Ocracoke, they allow dogs, and it's cheap to stay in, with the extra bonus of being both right on the ocean, and really pretty private. Like, not see another soul all day if you walk ten minutes up the beach, private. Very nice. In July, the last time I was there, they were working on the dunes to the north of town, but they were allowing traffic to run through.

I understand that the highway - basically the only road - on Okrakoke will be under construction for a while. Not sure, but I think you can get on from the south but can't get off towards Hatteras.

They are starting construction in the next couple of weeks. They're replacing I think 10 little bridges over a 3 mile span. It should only take about 10 weeks. But in the meatime if you have four wheel drive you can drive on the beach and still get the ferry over to Hatteras. We've stayed at the campground on Ocracoke (Nat Park). It's pretty good. Cold showers though. Be prepared. But the beaches are the best. I think it was actually voted one of the best natural beaches in the world.

Just outside of Hatteras there is a great little bakery. They have the best donuts in the world! They also do regular breakfasts. You can't miss the place. It looks like Hansel & Gretal's. Lots of ginger bread. I've actually left my house at the crack of dawn, driven 35 miles down to Cedar Island, taken the ferry over to Ocracoke, driven across the island, taken the ferry to Hatteras and driven to that bakery when I just could take the craving anymore. I got there about a half hour before they closed. :rolleyes:

They are starting construction in the next couple of weeks. They're replacing I think 10 little bridges over a 3 mile span. It should only take about 10 weeks. But in the meatime if you have four wheel drive you can drive on the beach and still get the ferry over to Hatteras. We've stayed at the campground on Ocracoke (Nat Park). It's pretty good. Cold showers though. Be prepared. But the beaches are the best. I think it was actually voted one of the best natural beaches in the world.

Just outside of Hatteras there is a great little bakery. They have the best donuts in the world! They also do regular breakfasts. You can't miss the place. It looks like Hansel & Gretal's. Lots of ginger bread. I've actually left my house at the crack of dawn, driven 35 miles down to Cedar Island, taken the ferry over to Ocracoke, driven across the island, taken the ferry to Hatteras and driven to that bakery when I just could take the craving anymore. I got there about a half hour before they closed. :rolleyes:

I know the place you mean! I LOVE that place! Their gingerbread cookies are the best I've ever had!