BC Boards

Somebody's Christmas Puppy??? *Update*

On the subject of the behavior problem (dog aggressiveness) of your foundling pup -- here is my opinion. It sounds to me like the pup is showing an innate tendency to be an alpha bitch. She wants to be the boss and is trying to show that to other dogs.

There is a DVD that is absolutely wonderful. It gives very detailed insight into a wolf pack and shows how the alpha male is the boss of the pack and how he enforces his position. The DVD is ?Living With Wolves? and is here:

http://shopping.search.discovery.com/Disco...archbutton.y=10 .

Product Detail:

For centuries, wolves have been characterized as bloodthirsty beasts, tormentors of ranchers and the bane of helpless livestock. Determined to overcome this misconception, filmmakers Jaime and Jim Dutcher ? creators of the Emmy-winning Wolves at Our Door ? spent six years in a tented camp in the wilderness of Idaho, living with a pack of wolves, listening to them and earning their trust.

Join the Dutchers as they share their extraordinary experiences living with the Sawtooth wolf pack. Exclusive footage reveals the innermost details of life in the pack ? its unique social structure, how wolf cubs are raised within the group and how these powerful creatures interact with man. Overcoming forest fires, marauding mountain lions and sub-zero winters, the Dutchers and these elusive, intelligent animals share the heartwarming and unique partnership of human and predator.

-----------------------------------

The DVD costs only $9.95 plus S&H and anyone who likes dogs and canines will almost certainly really enjoy this. It is highly entertaining, plus it teaches you a lot about how wolves (and dogs) think and behave in a pack situation. I think it would be very useful to you in understanding how to deal with your foundling?s dog aggression.

I have a three year old BC/Sighthound-X that I got as an eight week old puppy. I certainly don?t consider myself to be an expert dog trainer, but I did something right with my dog Bailey. When he was about four months old and was testing me to determine his place in the pack, I let him know for certain that I am the alpha. I won?t go into the details right now of how I did that, but suffice it to say that I showed him in no uncertain terms that I am the alpha and I run the household pack (me, Bailey, 10-y-o Sadie, my wife, and my cat.) Note: DW might not agree with that statement.

It is a good thing that I did that when Bailey was young. He now weighs almost 80 pounds and is a strong powerful dog. If he didn?t know that I am the alpha now, I would really have my hands full and it could be a very serious problem, as he is large and powerful.

So my suggestion is that you buy the DVD, observe how the alpha male runs the wolf pack, and then emulate that kind of behavior. You said that when your foundling pup acts aggressive you say ?NO? and make the dog sit. In the Living With Wolves DVD the alpha male, upon observing that a pack member was getting out of line, would raise his upper lip to reveal teeth and would look at the other dog and begin a growl/snarl. If the other wolf didn?t immediately change behavior and act submissive the alpha would become very physical very quickly. You need to see the DVD to see exactly how that works.

My method with Bailey is not identical to the alpha wolf in the DVD, but the general approach is the same, namely instant physical action that puts the dog in his place. What I did with Bailey was a lot more forceful then just telling him NO. And what I did works because Bailey knows 100% that I am the alpha and that he better not mess with me or another pack member in a way that I deem inappropriate.

Hector

----------------------------

darwin.gif

----------------------------

"Lexi" Is going home tonight. I got a call from her owner. She saw the flyer at the Food lion. I asked her what happened and she said that Lexi jumped out of the car. Which is what I figured happpened. I had them make an anouncment at the food lion when I found her and nobody came forward. Im frustrated because I feel like if she were mine I would have done everything I could think of to find her. The woman didnt stick around to try to find her, they just left. They didnt even go into the store and let the employees know she had gotten out and oh, I dont know, leave their number just in case someone came forward. Would it have been to much trouble for them to put up their own flyer? Or even a call to the Animal control to report her missing? They didnt do anything.

For those interested, the woman said she is a chihuahua/sheltie mix, and they have had her for about two weeks. I told her that this could have all been avoided if she had gotten her a tag. You can get a tag made up at Petsmart for $7, not exactly going to break the bank.

I mean, I dont need another dog. But this whole situation just makes me unhappy. Of course Im going to give her back. I just wish I could make them understand how irresponsible they have been concerning this pup. I almost feel like they just got pi**ed and left. The woman was right there when she got out of the car. They havent worked with this dog at all. No training. And of course no recall. She's way to young to have that anyway. I think they just got poed because she didnt come back when they called and just left. :rolleyes: They really dont deserve her.

shes not way to have to have a recall...

Shbelby was recalling since a couple days after I got her. at about 11 weeks. it wasn't a Great recall, but she still was able to tell she was being called.

And I agree with Julie, Leave them your number and let them know if they don't feel able to care for her, to call you.

Good luck!! and you did a good thing.

***sigh*** I just got back from dropping her off. First of all we were supposed to meet at 5:30. But I waited for 15min's and they never showed so I went back home. A while later my phone finally rang and the girl said she just got off work and she could meet me know. ??? Why couldnt you have called me earlier? She knew I'd be there waiting. She's got a cell phone, how hard is it to use? If it were my dog I'd be making every effort to make sure the folks who had her knew what was going on. So I went back to drop her off and I gave the girl a clicker and some treats. I asked if she knew what it was and how to use it. . .No. So I gave her a 5sec. lesson. "Lexi sit, click, treat, Good girl." Hopefully she'll get some use out of it, but I doubt it.

And again I told her she really needed a tag so that this wouldnt happen again. I wanted to rip this girl up one side and down the other, but I didnt. Hopefully this little stunt will get this girl to thinking about what she can do to keep somthing like this from happening again. Next time someone like me might not be there to keep Lexi safe.

Believe it or not, but I definitely see the chihuahua. Not so sure about the sheltie though, but I guess anythings possible. But she's definitely got the chihuahua personality and the bark, she has a habbit of bouncing straight up in the air, and then there's that dome head. Never thought I'd like a chihuahua, but I sure am going to miss that little squirt.