BC Boards

Do you feed your Dog soft dog food?

I was wondering if you feed your dog that soft dog food? I was thinking about it but i remember someone saying that dog food that starts with a P(alwasy slips my mind) was bad so i wasnt sure if i should get Zipper some or not or just not feed him soft dog food. Do u feed your dog it if so how much and every day or what?

Missy (age 14, with cancer and Cushing's Disease) gets 1/4 cup of Royal Canin Intestinal HE dry mixed with 1/4 cup Innova Senior canned and 1/4 cup Merrick canned. We use a variety of different Merrick foods, so that she is not getting the same thing constantly. Missy also gets an Italian meatball, which we use to hide her pills. Annie (age 3, with a delicate intestinal track that requires very careful nutirtional management) gets 3/4 cups of Royal Canin Intestinal HE dry mixed with 1/4 cup Intestinal HE canned. Both are specifically prescribed by our vet, who believes that some soft content is needed in the diet to aid digestion. But then again, that is only one vet's opinion. When I grill steak or chicken, they also get a special treat; but we don't tell our vet about that...

I do feed "soft food" in the form of raw meat! Even my two kibble fed dogs get frequent snacks of raw meat. It doesn't seem natural to me for any creature to eat the same thing at every meal day after day, unless there is a dietary problem that causes there to be necessary restrictions. So, I give my kibble fed dogs raw meat for variety and to give them nutrients from a different food source.

We have eggs on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. Those evenings the girls get some canned food mixed in with their kibble. We figure that we've had a treat, they should, too.

Fergie, the dog, gets about a half can. Maggie the cat did, but she doesn't get that much anymore as she didn't finish it.