BC Boards

I need a big helping hand!

Sassy

Ok, i got big problems.

My 17 month old collie bitch has a number of issues going on and im getting very worried and need help.

The main issues are chasing cyclists, joggers and vehicles. She is agressive to other dogs and barks and growls at strangers. I believe its fear based.

She went to puppy training at 13 weeks and did her KC bronze and silver until her fear of strangers and her agression to other dogs made it difficult for her to continue. All the issues i have with her now developed over a period of time and has just got worse.

I have so far tried suggestions of ignoring bad behavior and rewarding the good, ive tried clicker training but that doesnt work when she is faced with a cyclist going by or a moving vehicle along the road.

She has 3 walks a day, including play seesions and training such as downstays, leave it, fetch games and hide and seek etc.

And i feed her a RAW diet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to do?

I dont know of any "good" trainers in my area (Stoke on Trent) and dont want to be ripped off by someone professing to now how to train border collies when really they are just in it for the money. Are any of you able to recommend someone?

I love Sassy dearly and she is so affectionate to those she knows and is so very intelligent. She has Crufts champions in her line and i bought her to show her and do some agility. But i cant do anything due to her agression. Please help. :rolleyes:

Ask any questions that ive not covered already, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Julie.

Ok, i got big problems.

My 17 month old collie bitch has a number of issues going on and im getting very worried and need help.

The main issues are chasing cyclists, joggers and vehicles. She is agressive to other dogs and barks and growls at strangers. I believe its fear based.

She went to puppy training at 13 weeks and did her KC bronze and silver until her fear of strangers and her agression to other dogs made it difficult for her to continue. All the issues i have with her now developed over a period of time and has just got worse.

I have so far tried suggestions of ignoring bad behavior and rewarding the good, ive tried clicker training but that doesnt work when she is faced with a cyclist going by or a moving vehicle along the road.

She has 3 walks a day, including play seesions and training such as downstays, leave it, fetch games and hide and seek etc.

And i feed her a RAW diet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to do?

I dont know of any "good" trainers in my area (Stoke on Trent) and dont want to be ripped off by someone professing to now how to train border collies when really they are just in it for the money. Are any of you able to recommend someone?

I love Sassy dearly and she is so affectionate to those she knows and is so very intelligent. She has Crufts champions in her line and i bought her to show her and do some agility. But i cant do anything due to her agression. Please help. :rolleyes:

Ask any questions that ive not covered already, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Julie.

I found this site very helpful with our 1/5 year rescue BC. SHe is slowly coming around and this site gave some very helpful hint sas well as an excellent bibliography

http://www.fearfuldogs.com/targeting.html

Sounds like you are a really good trainer and have done well with her up to this point

A friend of mine is a vet and she told me that she has been seeing more and more fear/aggression problems in the show lines of collies in this country

Sorry you are having problems with her

Have you asked the breeder if she knows of good trainers?? she might have had similar problems with some dogs

My dog was really bad about people approaching when I first got him - but horrible about bikes. The first one we saw almost gave him a meltdown. He didn't chase and bark, but as they passed, he made it clear that he wanted to KILL THEM.

For a long time, I kept him on leash everyplace I might see a bike. I would have him go off trail and do a "sit" as the bikes passed, then treat him for not reacting. Eventually, the bikes could be closer and closer - and to my surprised and my sister's, Buddy started walking himself off trail and doing a "sit" anytime he saw a bike! He seems to think that the "sit" protects him.

He's OK with bikes now... rarely barks, and will even approach a known friend who's riding one.

I know they say you should get bikers to toss her treats, but it's tough to find people who will do that!

Good luck with this. It's a really tough thing when your dog is fearful and reactive.

Mary

Here's a couple of books you might find helpful, in addition to suggestions already made.

Emma Parsons Click to Calm ; Patricia McConnell Cautious Canine ; Patricia McConnell Feisty Fido.

Here's a link to Patricia McConnell's website

Personally, I would persevere with using your clicker training to ask for a behaviour incompatible with chasing to be offered when you see cyclists etc. coming. I've stilll got a work in progress with my 5 year old wannabe car chaser. Almost always now, she will automatically look to me for a treat when she hears a car - I ask her to hold that eye contact, and then treat her - every time. I'm aiming for a classically conditioned response - what Pat Miller calls the "Where's my chicken" response.

The more work you do with her - not just the formal obedience stuff, but all sorts of tricks etc. - the more she will be looking to you for reinforcement of approved behaviour.

As far as reactions to other dogs and strangers is concerned, I would recommend working with her on the fringes of her sensitivity range - again, doing a little training session and rewarding heavily for focus on you. Gradually, you should be able to work closer to the worrying thing.

Be sure not to let her eyeball whatever is worrying her - you take control of the situation - turn and go away from the problem until you see her relax, then do some reinforcing work.

OK, this is just what I'd be doing - I tend to look for mainly positive methods where possible.