BC Boards

So who's read The Dog Wars then?

I'm glad I read it. I've been asked by people in other breeds how the BC got recognized against its will, so to speak, and now I feel like I understand well enough to answer.

My only complaint is that Donald McCaig thinks conformation handlers masticate dried liver for their dogs. :rolleyes: Sometimes you hold the bait in your teeth, if you have both hands busy, but I never chewed. I promise.

disclaimer - I never have nor will I show a BC in conformation. I was showing chow chows. It's a good thing they're no longer used for the purpose they were bred for. Although I've known some who might've deserved to end up as soup. :D

Has anyone else finished the book yet? What'd you think?

I still can't order the book, so haven't had the opportunity to read it yet.

J.

It's really interesting...especially reading the names of the people who fought the takeover formally, then fell for it hook, line, and sinker and are now bigtime show and versatility breeders.

I read it and found the comparisons between the experience of the Aussies, Jacks and BCs especially interesting--I had no idea that there had been an issue with the Aussies. He generally tells a pretty good tale, I think.

It did get a little too stream of conscious for me in spots and I thought it ended pretty abruptly, but overall, a rather enlightening read--you really do get a sense of escalating despair over what seemed at one point pretty unlikely and then somehow unstoppable.

I'd be curious to know what folks who are discussed in the book (at least those on these Boards) thought about how things were presented.

I’ve read it and reviewed it for WBC. Everyone who owns a border collie or breed taken over by the AKC or breed threatened needs to read this.

The organization of the book could have been improved. Big deal.

The maw of big dog corporate inclusion is exposed.

Penny

I was touched by the story of the Cavs, and what a great job those folks did of keeping their dogs out of the puppy mills. It's sad to think how many are winding up in rescue, or being born with health problems, now that they've been recognized and have grown so popular in such a short time.

I was also struck by the idea that AKC should be taking some responsibility for the breeds it registers, dammit. Like the way the ABCA requires people to show proof the candidate for registration comes from stock that's free of PRA and CEA.

I ordered mine from Outrun Press a few weeks ago and it was here in less than a week. Great service, good book too. I agree with Penny's brief assessment and look forward to reading her complete review.

Charlie,

It tells me it can't verify my card--the same card I use for all purchases, so I'm not sure what the deal is. And, no, it's not maxed out or anything (must be my bad credit :rolleyes: ). I could solve it all by using a Paypal account, but I haven't used mine in so long that I can no longer remember the specifics. I'm waiting for Heather to come home from Canada and then I'll just order over the phone.

J.

Charlie,

It tells me it can't verify my card--the same card I use for all purchases, so I'm not sure what the deal is. And, no, it's not maxed out or anything (must be my bad credit :rolleyes: ). I could solve it all by using a Paypal account, but I haven't used mine in so long that I can no longer remember the specifics.

I seeeeee. Thanks. Damn technology.

I'm waiting for Heather to come home from Canada and then I'll just order over the phone.

Wow. That's so 20th century.

Like the way the ABCA requires people to show proof the candidate for registration comes from stock that's free of PRA and CEA.

I don't think this is truly accurate when phrased this way. ABCA only requires "proof" in regards to imported dogs. Here's what the website says:

Dogs meet ABCA registration requirements if they fall into one of the following four categories:

2. Are registered with or are offspring of dogs registered with the International Sheep Dog Society (ISDS). This includes dogs with ISDS Register on Merit (ROM) numbers. Sufficient proof must accompany all imported dogs' applications showing the dog to be free of PRA and CEA.

The only other mention of PRA/CEA on the registration requirements (unless I've missed something) appears to be this:

Dogs ineligible for ABCA registration:

2. Dogs and pups which are themselves or are offspring of any dog having PRA or CEA.

Ignoring the PRA statement, the CEA statement really seems a bit outdated, since with the DNA testing one could be sure that the offspring of an Affected dog is only a Carrier--which could then safely be bred to tested Normal dogs. Still, ABCA's statement above does not say that a domestic animal being registered must show proof of being out of tested (clear) stock. It appears to assume honesty in regards to the known status of sire and dam or offspring, but does not actually require the sire and dam to be tested, nor to require proof of the status of the offspring.

Or am I being thick? If I'm interpreting this incorrectly, please feel free to correct me. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I have read the book (which I did order from Outrun Press easily and received it very quickly). I am new to the world of border collies and have been spending this last year and a half talking with border collie handlers, reading The Working Border Collie magazine, reading books, attending trials and even got to run a border collie at an agility workshop. So far, I'm feeling pretty hooked. So, the book opened my eyes to an AKC that I was unaware of - probably due to the fact that I've had little contact with them. But more importantly it gave me a sense of the lengths folks will go to protect an invaluable dog and, again, the importance of its working heritage. I do not mind the stream of consciousness type of writing, so enjoyed Mr McCaig's tale.

Tracy

Oh, I think the book is also available from 'Border Collies in Action'