BC Boards

How sensitive should a BC be?

Hi, last week at Advanced Obedience, as per the trainer, I used a spray watter bottle on Cody's hips when he started looking snarky at another dog. cody has had ongoing aggressive bouts with "random" dogs that I have posted about previously so she suggested the water to take him by surprise and redirect him back to us.

That quick action basically was to stop his aggressiveness before it actually started. We then sprayed him again when he looked agressively at yet another dog.

After that, he was a changed boy. Soft, mellow, submissive, almost "scared" acting the rest of the class. It was the easiest class we have ever done as he wasn't distracted, just did exactly what we asked from him.

Since that class, he has been friendly, upbeat and not at all even potentially agressive with any dog on our walks, at the outdoor mall, etc.

How sensitive has your dog been after corrections like water spray? Is his "niceness" coincidental or is it a result of that water spray?

Wish one spray would work on Usher. I tried that for his barking out the front window at ever moving object that went by. Now, I just send him to his crate. That works better. But.........he's not a very sensitive border collie.

After being sprayed twice, all Jake has to do is see the spray bottle and he obeys. I think Jake is extra sensitive but he absolutely hates water. I even give him ice cubes because I feel he doesn't drink enough.

JJ is the opposite. He's totally oblivious of the spray bottle. It never distracts him.

I used the spray bottle once on Jackson for barking/whining and that was all it took. I carry a tiny one with me when I'm taking him out in town, but I don't have to use it. I immediately followed up with treats and praise. If he barked I squirted and then I would say "quiet" and treat. He never associated the spray with praise, just the command. I had it on the mist setting so he didn't even get a squirt. Jackson is very sensitive to correction and I rarely use it. But the barking/whining just got too far out of control. I couldn't take him anywhere. I was also adviced to use pennies in a can, but that scared him too much for my taste.

That's great that Cody responds to that. The spray bottle had the opposite effect on Zoey and I consider her to be sensitive. I tried it a couple times (I don't even remember for what now) and it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. The spray seems to enrage her and made her go crazy. And this is a dog that typically is very mellow and relaxed, so still not sure about that one.

Depends on the dog. Some BCs are unbelievably sensitive and perceptive, so much so that a single incident can change them. Many years ago Duncan ate a mouse I had after it got out of the glass fish tank (I saw him with it in his mouth, tail sticking out, squirming, and said, "Don't you DARE swallow." He did.) I told him he was a BAD dog and put him in a time out. About a month later when the replacement mouse got loose he came running into the room I was in, tugged at my sleeve and led me to the mouse, pointing it out with his nose. He was so damn proud of himself and I praised him for his good work. He never hurt another creature again (except for bugs) and would often drag me off the trails when hiking to carefully point out baby birds, snakes, rodents, etc.

Not to be a Debby Downer, but are you sure "Soft, mellow, submissive, almost "scared" acting the rest of the class" isn't really actually just Cody shutting down? I'm not sure suppressing behavior is an effective long-term solution. Rather than risk damaging your relationship with Cody, perhaps you can work toward addressing the root of his aggression and work with a qualified trainer to institute a program of counter conditioning, which would actively change his associations with his triggers from negative to positive without crushing his spirit...