BC Boards

Training problems with our new foster

Katie is approximately 6 and she was most recently mauled by another dog in her previous home inflicting chest and neck punctures and a 2 inch gash to her shoulder area.

She is at least on her 3rd home. We suspect possibly 4th. She loves my dad and is glued to him when he is home and seems to have a love for the car. Both of which she couldnt have gotten from her 2 previous homes. One she was tied outside and left the other she was kept in a room for her safety. (just some aside info)

Our problems are that she snaps treats out of your hand. Basically she eats the treat and 1/2 your hand.

2nd Problem When Katie climbs up on the couch to lay down she wont get off and when mom tries to move her physically she snaps at her.

So bottom line we are dealing with a dog in some amount of pain(on meds) who is trying to rehab some serious injuries who is also having a few unpleasant behavioral problems.

Help!!

For the treat sharking, I would get a pair of thick gloves, hold a treat in your fist and wait until she stops trying to chew on your hand, then deliver the treat. Rinse and repeat until she takes treats nicely before switching to a bare hand. This exercise is called 'puppy zen' btw. :rolleyes:

As for the furniture guarding, I'd try and restrict access as much as possible. She needs to earn the privledge. For removing her if she does get onto the couch, lure her off w/ food treats, no physical manipulation. If food won't work, have her drag a line inside so you can use that to remove her from furniture. Treat for getting on the floor.

Erin - good ideas.

You can also try holding Kate's mouth so that she cannot open it fully and get the hand/fingers. This has helped with Tempe who is a gator about food. The glove thing did not work with her because playing tug with the glove was great fun :eek: Basically only allow the mouth to open enough to get the treat. They resist at first but they learn especially when you give it a command like easy or gentle.

You can also try feeding dinner by hand (wearing gloves) and only give the food when it is taken nicely. Tempe learned quickly about dinner just not treats. I think the first 2 dinners took about 30 minutes since she kept trying to take my hand...

I jusr bought a van on the weekend and Tex loves the van. I've been taking him out for coffee and at the end of the ride he refuses to get out.

I ask, I beg, I plead, I threaten to go the vets for another neuter, nothing works. I finally have to crawl in and lift him off the back seat. We don't call him Tex the Tank for nothing. He flops and goes as limp as possible to resist me.

He's not cross but boy is he stubborn.

Furniture guarding creates work for chiropractors.

My mom's pug is bad about catching a finger or two when you give him treats too...especially if the other dogs are around at the same time. I hold the treat tightly on one end and approach him from under his chin. If he tries to snatch the treat I hang onto it pretty tight until he eases off then let him have it. I've noticed w/ him though that if you try to give the treat w/ hand above nose is when he does the snapping.

It's another one of many ideas anyway.

What I have been doing with Sage is when I go to give one to her and she jumps up to get it I make her sit again, and put the treat down to her mouth. If she goes to grab it I pull it away until she doesn't grab for it anymore. I have to do it every time but I think it's working.

Sheryl, does Katie have a spot of her own, close to the couch, where she is comfortable? If not, get her something comfy to lie on and start training her to settle there. Then train her to go to her spot, and use that cue to get her off the couch if necessary.

In the meantime, as the others suggested, keep a line on her and keep her access to the couch minimal, non existent if possible.

Poor thing, she's been through a lot. You're so good for taking her in.

Ruth n the BC3