BC Boards

Emergency vet trip needed?

Shadow managed to chew the top off of some old canola oil we forgot we had (its probably a couple years old, was used as a door stop), she vomitted up her dinner and is not acting a little sick, but doesn't seem too bad. Should I take her to the after hours vet? Or wait until tomorrow and take her in if she still seems ill? Never had a case where a dog ate old oil, I know new stuff just makes EVERYTHING glide through.

I've fed my horse canola oil before. Helps make her coat shiney. Lots of dog foods use canola oil.

"..canola oil provide rich sources of Omega 3 fatty acids to nourish the skin." -from Wellness dog food website

Maybe it was just too much at one time.

I betting you'll be up a few times tonight with funky poo and that's it, but if it were me, I'd just give the e-vet a call to confirm.

Before I figured out how far a determined bc could reach, Sam ate at least 1/2 lb of butter on 2 occasions, and a few ounces here and there until DH figured out the same thing. Didn't bother her in the least.

Hopefully Shadow will have a mild to nothing reaction. However, if he throws up again, or seems really uncomfortable, take him in.

Ruth n the BC3

Vet never phoned me back, not sure whats going on with that :rolleyes: Luckily Shadow seems alright, hasn't thrown up again, and is acting like herself. Bath time for her right now, can't leave her greasy all night! Will call her vet first thing in the morning anyhow, just to be safe.

Thanks for the fast replies folks :D

Raw oil can cause pancreatitis but it's unlikely in a healthy puppy. More likely you'll just have a very shiny pupppy for a while. :rolleyes:

Signs of pancreatitis - very black poop like tar - not watery or runny but sticky with a nasty weird sweet odor. Painful vomiting (more than just the once). Extreme lethargy and pain (wide eyes, panting, hiding). Not eating or drinking (NEVER try to force feed a dog with diarrhea without a vet's approval). This would be an emergency, especially for a puppy.

Gastorenteritis (sp), which can also occur: explosive frequent poops and vomiting - but more of the casual "oops" dog vomit rather than the miserable pancreatitis "Please kill me now" vomit - you'd know the difference if you ever saw it. Poop smells normal or stronger than normal - acidy. If you get more than a few hours of this, or your pup stops drinking for more than a day, head to the vet if your pup is less than four or five months old. Dehydration is dangerous in little pups - but we are talking about constant vomiting and diarrhea, not just a couple incidents.

Good luck!

I don't think it would be really bad for her, but I don't use oil very often. How's she feeling today?

She seems fine today =) Bouncing around and chasing the cats like normal. Some loose poo overnight but no more vomitting! She was drinking like normal last night, and I'll see how she does with breakfast, but it looks like everything is okie.

PHEW! Had these visions of my poor dog being very very sick and in the hospital... SO glad shes alright!

Thanks again everyone!

I'm so glad lil' Shadow's back to herself!

I know how terrifying a late night discovery of what your pup got into can be! Just about this time last year we came home to find Ouzo had opened a child proof bottle of aspirin, all but 3 pills were missing - and we weren't sure how many there were to begin with! I did the same thing you did, posted a desperate call for help and advice on this board, then I called the e-vet and went there.

After a nightmare night and morning - more than $800 later (thank god to cc!), Ouzo's only mal-effects were some black vomit (from the charcoal he was administrated - that alone was about $200 at the e-vet!), a day spent in a kennel under observation at out regular vet and some poking for the IV's.

No more aspirin for Ouzo!

Talked to my vet today and she told me to watch for food poisoning effects, as the oil was bad. Shadow REALLY hates getting her temp taken LOL, but at least its been normal all day. We're thinking she chewed the top off, got a mouth full of oil and vomitted from the nasty taste.. not actually eating any. Normal eating, normal poo, nice pink gums, normal chewing on me instead of her toys LOL. SO relieved!