BC Boards

Whoa, close call...

Thank goodness you had Lance with you today.

I hate to be hard-nosed about this, but I would consider calling Animal Control. This is truly a case of someone who is either incredibly stupid, mentally incompetent, or conniving and deceitful and shouldn't have this poor dog for a pet.

You could argue, I believe, that the dog was "abandoned" on your property without your permission (although I realize you had made a real mistake in not telling her to keep herself and her dog off your property previously), and I would think that tying a bitch in heat outside your house would be considered irresponsible at best by AC.

As has been pointed out, this person has some screws loose and the dog will pay the price. AC might be the best way to get this dog out of her irresponsible possession. Your dog and his health/behavior/stress is your primary concern. Someone once told me that it's good to be kind and charitable but not to the extent of inviting the wolf in at your door.

If she won't be responsible, you might want to consider getting Lance in for neutering right now, to avoid problems that you might not be able to avoid otherwise, since you don't seem to be able to keep her and her dog off your property and away from your dog.

As much as I feel for this poor dog, if someone did this to me, I would not hesitate to call Animal Control and/or take that poor girl to the shelter myself. At the very least, the owner would not be able to regain possession without paying a fine. The dog might have a much better chance at getting spayed and getting a decent home through the shelter if she isn't willing to reclaim her and pay any expenses.

Best wishes to you at solving this nasty problem

Hi Brandon,

Based on what you've said, there's a good chance the dog has already been bred. I would make the spay appointment now and worry about the rest after that's taken care of. Good for you for taking the initiative here.

Based on what you've said, there's a good chance the dog has already been bred. I would make the spay appointment now and worry about the rest after that's taken care of. Good for you for taking the initiative here.

I second that motion. The recent thread about the accidental litter made it clear that if she is bred, spaying her as soon as possible is the best thing to do.

I know your brother and Dopey's owner has placed you in a difficult situation. Two things to keep in mind....#1-Dopey is the priority. #2-Don't be an enabler. If your brother wants to feel sorry for his friend, fine. Don't let them pull you into the situation further or try to make you feel guilty.

Second calling animal control. Tell them the truth - that the dog was abandoned w/o permission after your "friend" was refused the use of your intact puppy to produce a mixed breed litter. Trust me...they'll enjoy making sure this one is spayed.

That's sad though. That someone could have a dog like that then just leave it. I mean I see it everyday at the shelter but I never get why people do it. I feel sorry for the dog.

I agree, if she tried that with you she probably did it with other dogs. Maybe she was trying to get her bred so she could say "oh, well since he bred her you can just keep her". I would have her spayed as soon as possible. It sucks that you have to pay for her mistakes though.