BC Boards

YAY!!! So excited!

I've been wishing for a while for it. Boise is the closest place at an hour away..

I also have a question about food. Riven eats at night.. should I feed her in the mornings? Or before or after agility or keep it at night? I dont know. Also should I feed her more since she'll be working it off?

Oh my, lucky you!!!!

I always gave Kessie a little breakfast before taking her to herding lessons, and that worked fine (we normally went around noon)...not sure about agility. I'd probably do the same.

No, don't feed her before agility. You want her hungry (ie. treat motivated). I feed twice a day and if have agility that night or sometimes I take a morning class, the dog eats that meal after we get back home. In your case, I would keep it at night and AFTER agility. Keep in mind she might eats less since she's full on 'snacks', but she'll be very motivated for agility. :rolleyes:

If she's too too ravenous for class, you can feed her a midday snack (of her regular food) but so she's still hungry at agility. I do know some dogs that need to eat their regular dinner before agility (like hr or so before) or they just don't work well.

Also agility treats are teeny tiny, itty bitty, so tiny that basically the dog gets a taste of the treat, no a filler. I tend to use hot dogs and mozzarella string cheese, cutting them lengthwise in quarters (sometime eighths for hot dogs) and then lining up the 'sticks' and cutting them into little triangular pieces. LITTLE. Also get a handyman 2 pocket pouch waist apron (like waitress) from a hardware store for treats. It works so much better then the made for treats pouch sold at petstores. Lowes and Homedepot have canvas ones with their logos on it for $1 each. Right side treats, left side mini tennis ball for River, etc.

HAVE FUN!!

I love that it is outdoors! We have an agility training center a couple miles from my house but it is all indoors. Have fun and take pictures, or better yet, video. I love watching dogs do agility. I have been going to local NADAC (I hope that is right) competitions for about a year now and love it. I can't wait untiil I can start doing it wtih Hammie.

Also agility treats are teeny tiny, itty bitty, so tiny that basically the dog gets a taste of the treat, no a filler. I tend to use hot dogs and mozzarella string cheese, cutting them lengthwise in quarters (sometime eighths for hot dogs) and then lining up the 'sticks' and cutting them into little triangular pieces. LITTLE. Also get a handyman 2 pocket pouch waist apron (like waitress) from a hardware store for treats. It works so much better then the made for treats pouch sold at petstores. Lowes and Homedepot have canvas ones with their logos on it for $1 each. Right side treats, left side mini tennis ball for River, etc.

Thanks for those great idea's Raisingriver, especially the cheap canvas pouches. You can't beat 1$!

cutting them lengthwise in quarters (sometime eighths for hot dogs) and then lining up the 'sticks' and cutting them into little triangular pieces. LITTLE.

Yes, what RaisingRiver said ... .TINY. You should be able to get at LEAST 80 treats out of one hot dog. I try to get turkey or chicken dogs as they don't get as greasy as the beef ones. Also, I then put the cut treats between two paper towels after sprinkling them with garlic powder (not garlic SALT) and then nuke them in the microwave. I do them 1 minute at a time and keep doing it until they get "fluffy" You will see what I mean :-) That way they aren't as messy as uncooked ones when they are in your pocket or bait bag.

Thanks for info you guys! I just spoke with him for an hour!!!! He is not a member of AKC, but of a bunch of other BC organizations. He says his dogs would fail AKC because they're... herding dogs!! He owns 3 BC's! He did BC rescue in Texas until September when he moved here. I am so excited he's a BC person. He has a English looking BC (I think he said rescue?) and a rescue BC and a "red" BC from champion lines.

I spoke with him about Rivens issues around other dogs (selective hearing) and he said that isnt a problem, that as she progresses in training, her focus will change and she'll learn to listen despite other distractions. He also said one of his BC's has SA like Riven.

He feeds his dogs meat and veggies from a crockpot mixed with Nutro. He has the same opinion as most everyone about dog foods ect. Its so great that we're on the same page on nearly everything!

SZ,

I just noticed he's got a list of breeds he's not accepting due to his insurance. http://www.mountainhomeha.com/Dog_not_accp.htm

I love watching Rotties work, and just recently instinct tested a very nice GSD. It so cool to see the differences in working styles in the various breeds.

Jodi

Hey Jodi! :D He said he wont accept them because of his insurance. He also said herding wont be set up till later since the babies arent weaned or something like that lol. I dont know how to say that in "sheep talk" lol. :rolleyes: He also said he wanted to have competitions of novice/novice and the next one up. (I dont know the language here just remembering certain words). He says he is 50 yards short of having a big enough field to hold an open.

He did say that my obedience trainer from Rivens obedience class was going out there to do Obedience. So I thought that was cool too. Remember her? You found her for me lol.

Novice-Novice and probably pro-novice. That would be great! This area needs it! Woo hoo! How many sheep does he have?

Does he have the backing of a club or organization or something, or is he going to be doing this all himself?

Jodi

You know Im not sure. He is a member of a ton of different organizations (Herding/BC/Agility) it sounds like. When he told me this he said a name of one but I cant remember what it was.. Im sorry I just dont understand the herding jabber lol. He also said there was a judge from a trial USH (something like that but longer.. Im sorry I cant remember) that was coming to help him. I didnt ask how many sheep he has. I'll email him again and ask him.