BC Boards

Human stomach meds okay for dogs

Guest WoobiesMom

Guest WoobiesMom

I seem to recall in another thread someone mentioning that Pepcid was okay for a dog who was on antibiotics and having stomach problems. (Hope I'm remembering correctly).

I can't really drive today (abcessed tooth and oxycodone) but Woobie threw up a few times this morning. Mostly water with a few bits of food, almost like he'd drank too fast. He's been on antibiotics for his ear infection and I think they're getting to his stomach. He hasn't had his dose yet today and hasn't vomited since this morning. I gave him rice soaked in chicken broth and it seemed to settle his stomach. I have Prilosec AC on hand but not Pepcid. Would that be safe to give him as well? I'm waiting to give him his dose until his stomach is full and has been settled for a while.

Thanks!

Guest WoobiesMom

Ooop! Well, I gave him the Prilosec and he seems much better. Also fixed him a nice dinner of brown rice, fat-free chicken broth, pumpkin and kibble which I made sure he was keeping down before giving him his antibiotics. Now it's me who's vomiting from the oxycodone I'm taking for this damn tooth. Can't wait 'til they rip the sucker out tomorrow morning! :rolleyes: I'll pick up some Pepcid for him tomorrow and double-check with the vet.

It always scares me when people ask medical questions on the internet. There is no way to know how solid the advice you receive is, or if its appropriate for your situation. well unless AKdocdog responds...........

But seriously, call you vet for medical questions!

Jennifer

I'm not AK Doc Doc, but I play her brother on TV...

This is NOT medical advice... Only your vet can give properly informed medical advice, with proper case history review etc. etc.

However, that said, Prilosec is one of the medications that is allowable and given to Sled Racing Dogs for treatment of gastric ulcers. Its use should be taken under medical advice, but I personally would not be worried for any serious effects from a single dose. Consult your vet before further treatment.

Guest WoobiesMom

Spoke to the vet and that was fine. He just suggested breaking the lil pills in half so he gets a 10 mg dose. I don't think he'll need a second. The rice and chicken broth is working nicely, I don't give him his daily dose until he's just eaten and his stomach is full and his stools aren't even loose yet. I think the few days we have left on the antibiotic should go well.

I swear, rice is magic. Whenever my kids had tummy problems it was always back to the rice cereal and they were right as rain. That and some bananas and applesauce too.

well, when our steer got bloated, they put a loooooooooooong tube down his thought. Our neighbor was looking out the back end waiting for it to come out- LOL. It was actually pink and looked and smelled like pepto bismol. Or however you spell it, but it worked. I spent the night on him laying on his back and we kind of bonded. Finally, my ex said, we can't have a pet that weighs over 1000 pounds. So old T-bone had to go to the auction, we couldn't eat him. He would come when you called him, ate donut holes out of your hand, I just loved that steer. Sorry, just bringing up memories. Poor T-bone.

I think pepto would be ok. Not sure- it's chewable. You can check with your vet, but that's what they did for my steer.