BC Boards

Seeking Farm Sitter Aug 24-26

Hubby and I have a chance to get away for a anniversary treat cum Jack Knox clinic the last weekend of August. I've squirreled away the money, I think (barring any more distasters), now the only obstacle is the one it always comes down to. The reason we haven't had a "just us" vacation in six years. Farm sitting.

If you live in NC or southern VA (or anywhere else for that matter) and would be interested in a nice farm weekend, very little work, very scenic and quiet, lots to do for visiting dogs - a big pond and tons of hiking trails around the farm, air conditioned modern accomodations, friendly and helpful neighbors, reasonably convenient to shopping and fast food, sheep to work if you are into that - please let me know ASAP.

Since I don't own a farm I get most of my time on sheep by farm sitting. If I wasn't already back to classes on those dates I would come and do it. I've been wanting to spend some time in VA this summer. Good luck finding someone!

Hey Rebecca,

Is that Jack Knox from Butler Missouri? Ettrick Kennels? He lives about 45 minutes from where I live. He is famous for sheepdog training so I am guessing it is the same Jack Knox. Not sure where the clinic is being held but if it is around Butler, call me if you want a tour guide around Kansas City, or if just want some info about places to go.

Tammy

Hey Rebecca,

Is that Jack Knox from Butler Missouri? Ettrick Kennels? He lives about 45 minutes from where I live. He is famous for sheepdog training so I am guessing it is the same Jack Knox. Not sure where the clinic is being held but if it is around Butler, call me if you want a tour guide around Kansas City, or if just want some info about places to go.

Tammy

The Jack Knox I am talking about is actually from Scotland but he lives in Bulter now.

Yup, same Jack. Much envy for your proximity. I only get to see him occasionally. The clinic is in Maryland, however, much as I would love to take you up on your kind offer! Maybe another time. I do want to travel up there for their trial some year.

Geoffry, as long as no animals are harmed, no property is damaged, and nothing illegal happens, I doubt I'd care at this point how many wild parties you could get together. Remembering of course that the nearest metro center is about an hour away, lol. Your party might be sparsely attended.

We eagerly await the Arrival of Woo at any time. Alert the press! But not while we are away - someone has to make sure the mad crush of fans doesn't harm the landscaping.

Geoffry, as long as no animals are harmed, no property is damaged, and nothing illegal happens, I doubt I'd care at this point how many wild parties you could get together. Remembering of course that the nearest metro center is about an hour away, lol. Your party might be sparsely attended.

Haha, I have never actually thrown any sort of party and I attend very few. My friends tell me I am too cynical for such things.....

Okay, I'll take it one step further.

Me: 50-ish married male writer, two bc's, loves the country life, lives the suburban life.

(1) About how long a drive from Atlanta? (I can actually drive up from my cabin near Franklin, NC)

(2) What chores need to get done?

(3) I'm guessing I can bring my dogs. True?

I have a local Board guy who is very seriously considering it right now. He gets first dibs until we hear otherwise. :D

GeorgiaBC -

1) Atlanta is much farther than Franklin from here! I'm not sure how far Franklin actually is, but I've driven to Atlanta and it was about seven and a half hours.

2) Check water frequently, sheep and dogs. Feed sheep once a day. Feed dogs twice a day. Walk kennel dogs a few times, or scoop poop and wash kennels once a day, your choice. :rolleyes: Feed the pet lamb once a day and let her run around supervised. Feed the cat. Feed Mr Fishy. Otherwise, it's just a babysitting job. If the sheep get out, Cord is a push button dog and will work for anyone. He knows what to do. But we will work hard to ensure that the sheep have neither the motivation nor the opportunity to get out, if human blood sweat and tears can do that. If dogs get away, they are almost sure to go either to the sheep or the pond and have decent recalls. It's looking now like there may only be one rescue left here, and the most reliable one of the two (yay!).

3) Guest dogs are welcome. Only Cord would be in the house and he can sleep in his crate while we are gone. He's humble and no trouble. Only rules for guest dogs - don't chase the landlord's pet ducks on his small pond (they are fair game if they go out on the big one), and don't harrass the neighbor's cattle. Well, and don't hurt any of our sheep, but I realize I'm taking a calculated risk here. There's nothing on this place that a $125 check wouldn't make me say, "Well, stuff happens . . ." :D

So, that's more details for those of you who have contacted me here and privately. I'm thinking this may actually happen, wow! I guess I'd better start tidying up . . . :D