BC Boards

When Do I Switch Over To Adult Dog Food?

Here I am with another Q. But I want to do the right thing by my pups.

I hear mixed things on this. I hear switch them by 4 mos so their bones don't grow too fast? Anyone have any opinions or knowledge?

Ok thanks. You know I agree. We consulted two vets our here and neither really gave us an answer..how odd. I just wanted to make sure that if I did switch them soon that they would still be getting enough vitamins and such from their diet.

The breeder, trainer, and I wanted to switch Dazzle at age 0 or around 4 months but the vet said no. We kept her on puppy food for lots longer then I wanted to but she came out all right. But if (when? :rolleyes: ) I get another BC I will switch around 4-5 months.

When Pegasus was around 5 or 6 months old he had to have surgery for OCD, while I was trying to learn about OCD and how he got it, what I might of been doing wrong to cause it, I talked to a lot of vets, to trainers that did not work with BCs, to a lot of people. And most said to stay away from puppy food even a couple of vets that sold dog food out of their office, I was told a number of times that Pegasus's OCD could of been caused by feeding puppy food as well as others things. I myself would say not to feed puppy food but I would also say what I know about BCs would not fill a thimble to most of the BC owners on this board. Watching your pup cry in pain from OCD or any reason you do not want see.

Tom and Pegasus

OCD = ostechondritis dessicans. Google it and you'll find all sorts of information. Most of the cases of OCD I've heard about have been the result of owners letting young dogs do repetitive jumping type activities, so it would be smart to familiarize yourself with it so you can avoid increasing your pup's chances of having a problem.

Most working dog folks I know put pups on what mom eats from the start. My 15-week-old weighs 15 pounds and certainly no one would look at her and think "what a cute roly poly puppy," but that's okay because my vet and I are happy with her growth and I know I am not stressing her growing joints with excess weight, not am I encouraging too great a rate of growth.

J.

ah ok. I have heard to not them do jumping until older. so we try and prevent that. Though when playing they jump on and off sofas..

As for Pepper, the lady we got her from made alot of mistakes with her we are still now fixing. but we're getting her all fixed up.

We hope that the Nutro will make her feel a whole lot better.

I would like her to be feeling better and to be in better shape before she goes in to be spayed on the 23rd..

I was feeding my puppy an all-stages food (Natural Balance, I think), a kibble, which he adored and ate very heartily. When I took him to the vet for his well puppy check the second day I had him, the vet insisted he needed not only canned food (which he had never had before in his 7 weeks of life) but that he should be fed PURINA PUPPY CHOW until he was A YEAR OLD. Needless to say, I did not switch his food. :D

Yes, we now go to a different vet. :rolleyes:

Allie + Tess & Kipp

Wow! Is all I can say. Puppy chow is crap. I know that now. Maybe it didn't used to be, but it sure is NOW!! And with all I know now, I will never buy it agaon.

For that matter, with all I have learned in the last week, I will NEVER feed anything but natural foods again.