BC Boards

BC's what age are they when classed as Adult?

I was wondering about when other BC's on here calmed down a bit and went into the Adult stage? :rolleyes:

I know that they never calm down to not want to do anything it's just every breed seems to mature at different rates. With Holly i think she will remain adolescence like for a long time as i know her mum took a long while to mature. I have heard that with this breed they can be 2 or 3yrs before they reach the adult phase.

Just wondered if anyone had any views on this please as i would be interested to know. Want to get her a pal next year but we want to wait until she gets to the that next phase first as i think it will be better for her. I have read some in books but it differs so thought i would ask the real owners on this one.

Heehee i just found the edit button. I have been wondering for ages how people can change what they have written. I just added an emotion to the first post. So does that mean i can edit any posts i have put on?

Don't think i will ever need to but hey just found out what the button does. :D I must learn more about these pc's. lol :rolleyes:

I don't know anything "official" and I'm not an expert, but Speedy didn't really reach what I would call full adult maturity until he was close to 4 years old.

It was like he was a puppy (mentally) until he was someplace between 1 and 1/2 and 2 years old and then he had a long "adolescence".

I think Dean will mature faster. He's almost a year and a half old and he's definitely an adolescent right now!!

Maggie seemed to think like an adult after about 2.5 or 3 yo, but at 4yo is when her exercise needs dropped a bit and she became more steady in her reactions to new things/people. She's 8 now and acts pretty much the same as she did at 4. :rolleyes:

Tazzy just turned 3 yesterday and he's still kind of an adolescent. He's coming out of this stage, but it seems to be kind of a slow process. Sophie, on the other hand (who either a border collie mix or, um, a chihuahua mix) seemed to mature much, much quicker. Physically, too--Taz took a looooooooooooooong time to get a chest, and I don't think he's fully developed even now. We used to joke that both his front legs were coming out of the same hole in his chest :rolleyes: , but Sophie was practically full grown at eight months of age. Come to think of it, Taz's littermate sister also matured much more quickly, both physically and mentally. I have heard that males mature later than females, but I bet a lot depends on the individual dog...

Sara was @ 3 when I considered her to be adult. Her exercise requirements and mental acuity remained about the same (very active) until she was @ 12. Since then, her exercise needs have gradually declined and she is very calm - although there are times she still asserts her authority very clearly w/the other dogs. She'll be 15 this fall.

Kate, my bc/springer mix, is almost 4 and sill behaves like a puppy - I'm not sure she'll ever grow up mentally!

I think it must vary a lot from dog to dog.

Sam was grown up by 18 months, but he was a very laid back thoughtful character.

Dale has certainly hit adolescence at 7 months so I'm hoping he'll grow up fast :rolleyes: Though I have a feeling he's going to be a challenge for quite a while yet.

When do they stop growing physically?

Thank you very much everyone for answering me :D

Wow, 4yrs, what fun i could possibly still have with Holly then. lol :rolleyes:

She has actually been adolescent like now for a while, she is nearly 18months old. I shall just have wait and see how long before she gets to be an adult then. To be honest she isn't that bad now, i can actually sit outside sometimes whilst she plods around in and out of the house, not touching my plants or digging. :D She still has the backchat moments though which i know are naughty but she makes me smile. She occasionally gives you a look to say i am not going to move , what are you going to do about it. Then you ask her for a kiss and the wrinkled nose look instantly stops whilst she gives you a kiss. Silly really as she isn't a bit scary and such a softie so when she does it it looks so funny. :D

Heres one of those moments --100_0583.jpg

100_0584.jpg

She pulls such a silly face :D

Philip - I don't know about the growing bit, Holly was fully grown by a year old although she has filled out a bit and got a little broader.

I love Holly!! River has always been pretty serious but she did have a rebellious phase around 12-14mos. After that, she was all business again. To be fair, knowing I had a BC I keep a balanced schedule for her (exercise/mental/rest) and always set her up for success. She was a very stubborn pup up through around 4 months old then responsive through around 9mos - and for those 3 months til 1yr I saw her potential goodness so it was easy to wait out those 2 intermittent months of 'testing'.

Other then with potty-training (which I suck at), I was very diligent with River and her training and it helped I was the only one training her (no one else to mess her up, lol) and it REALLY paid off into a fantastic, well behaved dog - and she's not even 2 yet.

I love Holly!! River has always been pretty serious but she did have a rebellious phase around 12-14mos. After that, she was all business again. To be fair, knowing I had a BC I keep a balanced schedule for her (exercise/mental/rest) and always set her up for success. She was a very stubborn pup up through around 4 months old then responsive through around 9mos - and for those 3 months til 1yr I saw her potential goodness so it was easy to wait out those 2 intermittent months of 'testing'.

Other then with potty-training (which I suck at), I was very diligent with River and her training and it helped I was the only one training her (no one else to mess her up, lol) and it REALLY paid off into a fantastic, well behaved dog - and she's not even 2 yet.

Awwwww thanks :D that is really nice.

River sounds great and she is so adorable. I hope Holly is as good when she reaches 2yrs. I hope so as i can't wait to get her a pal especially when i see the photo's like your ones and others with multiple dogs. I shall wait though until she is ready.

Holly was fantastic on the toilet training, only took a couple of weeks and she was scratching at the door to be let out. I was very surprised as i had expected lots more accidents. Next time around i shall perhaps get one that takes months though.lol :rolleyes:

That's exactly what she does - the testing - she still makes me smile though when she gets in one of those moods. :D

Solo mellowed out around when he turned 4. He is now 8. He's always been a thinker, but he became somewhat more "settled" at 4. He grew out of his angst-ridden, tortured-artist phase, stopped wearing black all the time, and became better at taking things for granted.

Fly is also 8 and still acts like a puppy. Most people who meet her assume she isn't yet a year old. She's never been a deep thinker and has a rather silly personality. She's capable of being dead serious, but it only happens when she's working stock. In that sphere she's always been incredibly settled, dead quiet, and ridiculously easy to handle. Her civilian persona is very, very different.

I guess it really depends on the dog, which, to some extent, seems to depend on the breeding...I have an 8 year old (neutered) male who STILL has not grown up :D , but then my girls, from related bloodlines (three from different litters that I've started), all seem to mature extremely young. In fact, my 6 year old really never acted like a pup--she was level headed and serious, all business, when I brought her home at 7 weeks. Her daughter, at 14 months, is the same way. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Anna

Solo mellowed out around when he turned 4. He is now 8. He's always been a thinker, but he became somewhat more "settled" at 4. He grew out of his angst-ridden, tortured-artist phase, stopped wearing black all the time, and became better at taking things for granted.

Fly is also 8 and still acts like a puppy. Most people who meet her assume she isn't yet a year old. She's never been a deep thinker and has a rather silly personality. She's capable of being dead serious, but it only happens when she's working stock. In that sphere she's always been incredibly settled, dead quiet, and ridiculously easy to handle. Her civilian persona is very, very different.

Funny that about the working bit - i know Holly doesn't work as in sheep etc but she never shows any misbehaviour whilst she is off lead in a park/beach and has a job of fetching her ball/toy. I guess they get so involved with the task whatever it is which proves they love work - any work. :rolleyes:

In fact, my 6 year old really never acted like a pup--she was level headed and serious, all business, when I brought her home at 7 weeks. Her daughter, at 14 months, is the same way. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Anna

Wow, that sounds fab :D

This is what is nice for me to read - views of you that have had multiple BC's. I am much more confident with an adult BC now but i am glad i had Holly as a puppy. Even though she was little terror at times she has grown up with me learning all about them. (I did have a Yorkie before so it is quite a change from what i was used to :D ) If i go for a pup next time i bet i get a little monster again but they are so worth it. Holly is a great dog now apart from the odd moments. lol :D

Are you asking about energy levels tapering off or maturity level? In my mind, those are two very different things...I wrote earlier that Sophie matured much earlier than Taz, but I meant mentally and physically, not in terms of energy levels. Sophie is seven now, and it is honestly just this year that she is starting to not require quite as much exercise as she has in the past. Taz is definitely nowhere near slowing down in any size, way, shape, or form :rolleyes:

Are you asking about energy levels tapering off or maturity level? In my mind, those are two very different things...I wrote earlier that Sophie matured much earlier than Taz, but I meant mentally and physically, not in terms of energy levels. Sophie is seven now, and it is honestly just this year that she is starting to not require quite as much exercise as she has in the past. Taz is definitely nowhere near slowing down in any size, way, shape, or form :rolleyes:

I did mean maturity not energy - i realise that the energy stays for years :D . I was referring really to the sort of excessive excitment , moody phases, testing you and just general puppyness. She isn't too bad, it makes her sound terrible when you write it down like this, she only has a few moments still with those. I haven't got anyone to compare her too so that's what is nice about this site. To get others opinions. Thanks :D

I was referring really to the sort of excessive excitment , moody phases, testing you and just general puppyness. She isn't too bad, it makes her sound terrible when you write it down like this, she only has a few moments still with those.

Actually she sounds lovely, Samantha!

Thank you, she really is although i am a little biased

All of us think that our own dog is the most beautiful and special one in the world. It makes me a bit sad to think of all those other people deluding themselves; because, you see, Annie actually IS...

Glad you asked this because we have been wondering the same thing. As Hoku closes in on 2, he seems to bounce in and out of maturity, some times we get this lovely view of what kind of adult he'll be (sweet, fun, attentive and obedient), and then WHAM, back to, well your picture of Holly discribes it perfectly :D

100_0584.jpg

We are calling it the "Halo and Horn' period :D Sounds like we have a ways to go :rolleyes:

ETA: By the way, did I ever say that I think Holly is just adorable? Oh, OK, I thought so!

Glad you asked this because we have been wondering the same thing. As Hoku closes in on 2, he seems to bounce in and out of maturity, some times we get this lovely view of what kind of adult he'll be (sweet, fun, attentive and obedient), and then WHAM, back to, well your picture of Holly discribes it perfectly :D

100_0584.jpg

We are calling it the "Halo and Horn' period :D Sounds like we have a ways to go :rolleyes:

ETA: By the way, did I ever say that I think Holly is just adorable? Oh, OK, I thought so!

Halo and Horn --- :D love that, I shall have to call it that now. (she looks rather evil on that one) :D LoL

and thank you :D