BC Boards

Dog Park & Socialization

Guest LJS1993

Guest LJS1993

Yes I know this topic has been discussed however this is dog specific. My fiance (FrecklesLaLaMom), and I really want to socialize Freckles to the point that she really has some fun with other dogs now and then. However during our last time, on leash, she was very timid around other dogs at Ocean Beach in San Diego. She was especially timid when this one boxer came up to us and was looking rather cocky, though I'm sure he was a nice guy. My instincts tell me what other way to socialize her then to simply "do it" so to speak. However at the same time I don't want some kind of incident that makes the whole socialization thing a horrible memory for all involved. Should socialization begin in an atmosphere small, like during obediance training etc...., or can it be done in a less controlled setting like a dog park? Am I just being an overprotective father? Is this how I'm going to be with kids when the time comes? :rolleyes:

Side note: This is my second BC, however my first was strictly a ranch dog only. Socialization wasn't really an issue.

umm.... most dogs, (only in my experience) will start out timid and afraid, its a new thing, lots of dogs can be scary. I would caution you to leave her off leash, as that can add more tension to her. she may feel unsafe on the leash. and then there are some dogs become leash aggressive.

I started Shelby at the dog park when she got her last set of shots and BOY was she afraid.... this boxer puppy kept jumping on her and jumping her.. just wouldn't leave her alone. but we came back every day, and after 3 days she figured out HEY, this is fun!! I can run and bark and chase other dogs without getting in trouble!! and we have gone nearly every day since for the last 8 months :rolleyes:

With Gypsy, I took her on lots of walks. Everywhere. We went to public parks with lots of people, dogs (on-leash), sights, sounds and smells. We went for walks all around the neighbourhood and very frequently met other well-behaved dogs on leashes. Once she was more confident, we went to the dog park which was good for her to meet all the dogs and have a chance to play, but things were obviously less controlled than other situations. Although nothing happened directly involving Gypsy, other dogs would act up.

If you're nervous about having a bad expereince with Freckles, your best bet would be to keep her in controlled situations until her confidence is built up a bit more.

Just last month Nick, Gypsy and I went to the annual "Teddy Bear's Picnic" and Gypsy was hugged, petted and pulled by hundreds of little kids, and met a huge variety of dogs. If there are any events like this going on around you, it might be good to take her there and expose her to a crowd - as long as it won't overwhelm her.

Guest WoobiesMom

I can't say enough about dog parks for socialization, it's helped my shy Woobie tremendously. BUT it needs to be done cautiously and with "dog smarts". I read alot before we went for the first time, got familiar with dog body language and kept our first visit short. I kept him on the leash (although in retrospect, I agree, it probably added tension) and we literally stayed for about 3 minutes. There were too many dogs to stay longer. I went on weekdays when there were fewer dogs and owners who seemed more conciencious (sp?) about their animals. Woobs has a problem with boxers in general, I think their paws to the face boxing style intimidates him, but he'll usually find something else to do. I also taught him "box" while we were first going and now when he seems intimidated, I say box and he jumps up on the benches and feels safer on an elevated platform when dogs get rambunctious.

New dogs typically seem very shy and intimidated at first and it's best to start with just a few dogs that are really good with other dogs. Asking before you enter is a good idea, and don't feel rude or overprotective if you pick up on cues that your dog is feeling overwhelmed, you know your dog best. There are sometimes "know it alls" at our park who try to tell people they should let their dogs get trampled to "get used to it". I don't agree, your dog needs to know and trust that you will intervene if things get too rough.

Have fun and choose your park carefully, watch before entering for scuffles between dogs and ask dog owners in the area. We have one in my area I will never go to, I hear about dog attacks and vicious dogs at that park all the time. I hope they don't decide to move to ours.

Good luck!

Guest LJS1993

Thanks for the input guys. Like I said in my original thread, I am no stranger to BC's, however dog socialization is probably my biggest weakness as a dog owner right now. I already know that I need to be an example also and show her my confidence in both her and our situation. Freckles has good recall, respects my commands, and is doing pretty well when we go to PetCo or PetSmart to get food or other items. I really want her to have fun with some other dogs, so much so I'm even thinking of possibly getting another dog a year or more from now. Any more input is greatly appreciated and respected.

Guest WoobiesMom

I found this link that has some very practical tips:

http://ahimsadogtraining.com/handouts/dog-parks.html

The warning regarding toys is especially true. There are several dogs at our park that are VERY possessive of the ball. Luckily, Woobie isn't so he hasn't gotten into trouble but other dogs have snapped and lunged at each other over a tennis ball. Our park has a ton lying around so there's usually plenty to go around and still have some for the possessive dogs to carry around. I usually take the floppy frisbee because Woobie loves it, but 8 times out of 10 there's a dog who will grab it and play keep away with 5-6 other dogs and the owners are never very happy about it. :rolleyes:

I would start with the Petsmarts and work up to dog parks during the time of day when they are least busy (less dogs to pounce on yours). Let Freckles decide for herself. You might also want to practice playing or training Freckles at the park (sit stay, etc) with treat rewards for training so the place itself is fun - and the dogs there are background noise and eventually aren't a scary thing.

Keep in mind not all dogs like to actually play with other dogs. All my dogs are very well socialized and will greet every dog they meet, but only 1/3 actually plays or chases around with strange dogs. Yet, all three play with each other at home. So Freckles may never 'play' with dogs at the dogpark, but could very well wrestle around with a future dog you own. Having Freckles feel comfortable at the dog park (around other dogs) is always a good thing. Remember, submission doesn't = uncomfortable. River is VERY submissive greeting other dogs (crouches to ground) but wags her tail as she does so. It's just her thing - and she will show teeth or snap if the dog tries to be obnoxious with her.

Also, it's your job to keep her safe. If you do a great job, she'll trust you in uncomfortable situations and be more confident to eventually venture out on her own. River is a small BC and when younger, would stay by me and I would make sure other dogs weren't too overbearing with her. Sometimes I had to pick her up and walk away with her to keep her safe. Nowadays at a year and a half old, she runs down the hill at the dog park to greet the other dogs (doesn't play, only greets) and leaves me in the dust. Diesel is my play with other dogs, dog.

Guest LJS1993
I would start with the Petsmarts and work up to dog parks during the time of day when they are least busy (less dogs to pounce on yours). Let Freckles decide for herself. You might also want to practice playing or training Freckles at the park (sit stay, etc) with treat rewards for training so the place itself is fun - and the dogs there are background noise and eventually aren't a scary thing.

Keep in mind not all dogs like to actually play with other dogs. All my dogs are very well socialized and will greet every dog they meet, but only 1/3 actually plays or chases around with strange dogs. Yet, all three play with each other at home. So Freckles may never 'play' with dogs at the dogpark, but could very well wrestle around with a future dog you own. Having Freckles feel comfortable at the dog park (around other dogs) is always a good thing. Remember, submission doesn't = uncomfortable. River is VERY submissive greeting other dogs (crouches to ground) but wags her tail as she does so. It's just her thing - and she will show teeth or snap if the dog tries to be obnoxious with her.

Also, it's your job to keep her safe. If you do a great job, she'll trust you in uncomfortable situations and be more confident to eventually venture out on her own. River is a small BC and when younger, would stay by me and I would make sure other dogs weren't too overbearing with her. Sometimes I had to pick her up and walk away with her to keep her safe. Nowadays at a year and a half old, she runs down the hill at the dog park to greet the other dogs (doesn't play, only greets) and leaves me in the dust. Diesel is my play with other dogs, dog.

Thanks again for more great advice. All of you guys have given us great advice. Yes, for awhile I thought maybe I was being over protective because listen to this. While at Ocean Beach, while the FrecklesLaLamom was sunbathing and frolicking in her bikini, I was doing real work with Freckles. Well that Boxer I talked about seemed to focus on her too much while she was by my side so I picked her up and removed her from the situation. I felt like a wussy carrying my BC away, but from the sound of it I did the right thing. I think we will do the PetsMart thing first before we do the dog park thing. Furthermore, this is premature but my fiance really wants a male Weimeraner as an addition to our pack. This would be at least a year or more from now so I'm not jumping the gun mind you. But, would a male Weimeraner if socialized properly be a good mix with a well socialized Freckles? Again, thanks for the patience.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

for those of you wondering...I was putting our things back in the car while he 'pottied' her (except she refuses to go ANYWHERE but a specific spot in her corral) :rolleyes: But on with freckles. On our walks if we come to a fence with a dog behind it thats barking...she freezes..and WILL NOT move. I have to pick her up and pass the dumb fence. She did this with a sprinkler the other day aswell. SIGH. When does this stage end? She didnt used to have a problem with the SAME exact house/ sprinkler etc

Guest LJS1993
[chuckles] im sorry for being ot :rolleyes: , but do u guys sit right next to each other and read the same topic?

Well we have our own workstations at home. So basically she has her computer desk and I have my own setup for work and serious business. Our computer time is kind of our "seperate" time to just vegetate. And anyone who is in a serious relationship knows, that together yet seperate time is valuable and healthy. Also Sharkie I post from work alot. I know we are weird but hey, at least I can admit it. :D

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
[chuckles] im sorry for being ot :rolleyes: , but do u guys sit right next to each other and read the same topic?

one office...two desks two computers :D

Well we have our own workstations at home. So basically she has her computer desk and I have my own setup for work and serious business. Our computer time is kind of our "seperate" time to just vegetate. And anyone who is in a serious relationship knows, that together yet seperate time is valuable and healthy. Also Sharkie I post from work alot. I know we are weird but hey, at least I can admit it. :D

I was new to forums until i joined this one so i wasn't sure if it was unique in your case (1 dog/2 owners/2 diff log on users). I am used to you both now though .lol :D Was a little strange at first though i thought to be honest especially when you were answering each others posts. heehee :rolleyes:

Anyway back to subject - we would love to have dog parks here but after reading some of the replies i got i think it very much depends also on the type of park/area of park and of course type of owners using it.

Holly loves meeting strange dogs but only to greet and sniff she is not to keen on rough play, she doesn't do anything about it just backs away a bit. I thought perhaps in her case it would be nice if we had a good dog park for her to go to she might enjoy playing with strange dogs then. I don't think it would really work in her case though as we would get inconciderate owners who would spoil it by having untrained dogs doing whatever they wanted. It wouldn't be any good if we had owners whose own dogs didn't go to them on recall etc. Luckily Holly has a few doggie pals she can be off lead with so for her that is good.

So i understand some of your concerns requarding Freckles and meeting other dogs at dog parks. :D

Guest LJS1993
I was new to forums until i joined this one so i wasn't sure if it was unique in your case (1 dog/2 owners/2 diff log on users). I am used to you both now though .lol :D Was a little strange at first though i thought to be honest especially when you were answering each others posts. heehee :rolleyes:

Anyway back to subject - we would love to have dog parks here but after reading some of the replies i got i think it very much depends also on the type of park/area of park and of course type of owners using it.

Holly loves meeting strange dogs but only to greet and sniff she is not to keen on rough play, she doesn't do anything about it just backs away a bit. I thought perhaps in her case it would be nice if we had a good dog park for her to go to she might enjoy playing with strange dogs then. I don't think it would really work in her case though as we would get inconciderate owners who would spoil it by having untrained dogs doing whatever they wanted. It wouldn't be any good if we had owners whose own dogs didn't go to them on recall etc. Luckily Holly has a few doggie pals she can be off lead with so for her that is good.

So i understand some of your concerns requarding Freckles and meeting other dogs at dog parks. :D

Yes some people thought we were the same person using two screen names. But oh well, it's cool that we share enthusiasm for Freckles, makes raising her so much easier. I have sympathy for those here who don't have the support of their wife, girlfriend, fiance, etc... In fact most likely if not for my fiance I would not have purchased another dog. After Shadow died I most likely would have taken a long break from getting close to another dog again.

Back to the topic at hand, I have a feeling Freckles might never love other strange dogs, but who knows. I think she might end up doing better with a close play friend later on instead of playing with random dogs. But man, all great advice and input so far, this is what I need.

and clearly...we cannot see one anothers moniters :D

LOL U guys are great, Dad & Mom side by side raising up the 4 legged "kid"

But I gotta hand it to YOU, LALA MOM,

I love your comment about BC's at the end of every post,

So funny and so True! :rolleyes:

OK - "Dad" has been given good advice re dog parks. I would echo the advice about trying to arrange to meet up with a few known friendly dogs, who will not overwhelm Freckles. She definitely does not need to be bounced on or stood over - some dogs can cope with that, but some can't - especially if they are a bit shy generally, or may be going through a fear period. Parallel leash walking - keeping a comfortable distance apart and gradually closing up the distance on a nice walk together - is really a good way of getting a dog more comfortable - if you can organize some co-walkers with nice dogs.

Oh, and "Dad" - while it was good to get Freckles away from the Boxer you were uncertain about, a better strategy than picking her up, is "turn and let's go" - with her on leash, or attracted to you with a toy or treats, simply calmy turn away from the other dog and walk briskly but calmly off in a different direction, treating her heavily for paying attention to you, but in no way "babying" her - since that just reinforces her fears.

And "Mom" - sam advice to you on street walks. Try to avoid picking her up, but if you get to a 'sticking point', use the 'turn and go' - e.g. to get past the dog behind the fence, cross the road and walk on the other side - again, acting like that's what you intended to do anyway.

If it's a genuine fear period, it could go on for anything from a few weeks to a few months. Try to work on gradual, safe exposures, starting ouitside her reaction distance, doing some work with her, treating here, and gradually tyr to reduce that reaction distance. Remember the principle - ignore the behavior you don't want, reinforce what you do want, and little steps.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

Ive tried treats and toys and all but she just freezes.... Wont even go back the other way....she lays down and gets 'stuck' its infuriating to say the least. I look dumb carrying a full grown dog....and she looks dumb because it's usually a flippin chihuahua (or like sized dog). I've not tried jogging past...(i feel something must be on fire for me to be running LOL) ....is that a bad idea? I dont want to enforce "run from fear" (or is that only a kid thing not to enforce? Can you tell I have no kids? :rolleyes:)

Guest LJS1993
OK - "Dad" has been given good advice re dog parks. I would echo the advice about trying to arrange to meet up with a few known friendly dogs, who will not overwhelm Freckles. She definitely does not need to be bounced on or stood over - some dogs can cope with that, but some can't - especially if they are a bit shy generally, or may be going through a fear period. Parallel leash walking - keeping a comfortable distance apart and gradually closing up the distance on a nice walk together - is really a good way of getting a dog more comfortable - if you can organize some co-walkers with nice dogs.

Oh, and "Dad" - while it was good to get Freckles away from the Boxer you were uncertain about, a better strategy than picking her up, is "turn and let's go" - with her on leash, or attracted to you with a toy or treats, simply calmy turn away from the other dog and walk briskly but calmly off in a different direction, treating her heavily for paying attention to you, but in no way "babying" her - since that just reinforces her fears.

And "Mom" - sam advice to you on street walks. Try to avoid picking her up, but if you get to a 'sticking point', use the 'turn and go' - e.g. to get past the dog behind the fence, cross the road and walk on the other side - again, acting like that's what you intended to do anyway.

If it's a genuine fear period, it could go on for anything from a few weeks to a few months. Try to work on gradual, safe exposures, starting ouitside her reaction distance, doing some work with her, treating here, and gradually tyr to reduce that reaction distance. Remember the principle - ignore the behavior you don't want, reinforce what you do want, and little steps.

Thank you very much. I shall definately follow up on the pointers you and other members have given me. :rolleyes: