BC Boards

Eating and rolling on plums

I have a couple of plum trees in the backyard and Lance not only eats them but he rolls on them. bah! and then he comes in and rolls on the rug in the living room. I have 2 questions. 1: are they ok for him to eat? I assume so since he hasn't had a problem with them so far. He loves em. 2: how do you remove a plum stain from a carpet without bleach? (single clueless guy here) I usually try hot water cause I dont want to use a chemical that might be allergenic or otherwise harmfull to the dog or the cat. but the purple plum stain is mocking me... :rolleyes:

Our cows got drunk off fermented fruit- fun to watch, but ....probably not safe for a dog

apricots where once considered a cure for cancer for humans- go figure.

Edited by Bo Peep

I would try a spray on carpet cleaner for stains. I use Resolve foaming spot cleaner on the red mud pawprints that my dogs bring in and it works well. I wouldn't use hot water, hot water and hot air (think washer and dryer) will set the stains in permanently or at least make them wicked hard to get out.

Not sure about how much your pup would have to eat to reach toxic levels of plums or apricots but I agree with Anda that the end results may be explosive.

Olivia

It's not the plums and apriots, it's the pits. A pit can cause an intestinal blockage. Just this week on the Rescue list someone lost an 11 month old foster after surgery for a blockage, which turned out to be a pit (apricot, I think). I have seen horses eat fruit and spit out the pits, but the only dog of ours who did it used to eat them pits and all. We were lucky. We didn't realize how dangerous they could be in those days.

Kathy Robbins

If your carpet is really bad, from plums and other messes, rent a carpet cleaner. They aren't that expensive and you can rent them at grocery stores, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Splurge and get the stain pretreat solution too. You will be horrified at the nasty water you have to pour out of the machine.

Guest LJS1993
Oooo also are apricots ok to eat, I have one of those in my back yard... sorry not to hijack, I just thought if they could answer you they could answer me lol... :D

Oh man, trust me, keep away from the Apricots!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: Just ask my fiance about our little ordeal with Freckles when she ate a bunch of Apricots around her kennel. It was not a good thing at all for our carpet. :D I laugh because I didn't have to clean it up. :D

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
Oooo also are apricots ok to eat, I have one of those in my back yard... sorry not to hijack, I just thought if they could answer you they could answer me lol... :rolleyes:

freck loves apricots (i'm sure she'l be thrilled when the plums and peaches are ripe as well) but they give her bad poopies...like up ever two hours at night bad poopies

As far as I can tell he isn't eating the pits. He'll bite one open and lay down and lick at it, and.... sometimes roll on it which is annoying cause then he's all sticky. There are partitially eaten plums and plum pits on the ground that he left. The plums have been falling on the ground for a few weeks now and he discovered them quite awhile ago. He hasn't had any, um, explosions yet. :rolleyes:

the peach tree has been attacked and the peaches have suffered heavy casualties. the dogs are ruthless, killing them for mere fun

the peaches have sent for reinforcment but their closest allies, the plums, are being attacked on their own home front. the situation looks dire.

LOL :rolleyes:

Ny Fergus just brought the last Granny Smith apple in from my tree the other night. Between him and the parrots and other birds, I did not get many apples. :rolleyes: He is a dedicated fruit eater, and though I worry a bit about plum and apricot pits (and apple seeds) it's impossible to stop him without fencing off the fruit trees, which I don't really want to do. He's 5 now, and so far, I've been lucky. My previous Border Collie boy, Sam was also a dedicated fruit eater. He once ate 12 plums at one time - I know the number, because he threw up 12 plum stones.

I guess the main thing is to watch that they're not eating the pits - and to keep an eye out for any tummy problems.