BC Boards

Too serious for cookies??!!

Ok, so ceana and I went and played frisbee in her park for the first time in a while(It was so cold my ears still hurt)and I brought a bag of her favorite puppy cookies so we could break up play and work on her recall outside. On our way to the park I tried to use the cookies for positive treats for good things ie.. she always has to sit when we come to a street or not pulling when she sees people. She would not take the treat! I thought maybe she was just happy to go play frisbee and did not care (I made her bring it to me w/ her leash before we left so she knew what we were going to do) When we got to the park to play she would sit in between throws, but she would not come and she would not take a cookie. I even threw a cookie to her when she sat between throws and she wouldn't even sniff it. I told her all done and went to sit on a nerby bench as she would run up within feet of me, crouch (The serious crouch not the puppy pouncing one) and then repeat from a different angle. Luckily a little girl ran up to play with her and Ceana knows not to have contact with people at the park unless I ok it so she came over to me and sat until I put her leash on for her to say hi. After she said hi I even let the girls try and give her a cookie for being polite, nope still would not take it. I know now I am going to have to get a long lead for frisbee and ball, but does anyone have any idea on ways to break things up with rewards? Her cookies are healthy and I really don't want her to think that crappy treats or people food are a good reward. Her lack of intrest in treats make me curious as to whether or not my "good girl"s have any effect either. Has anyone even herd of this kind of behavior? I really do not want her to grow into a deliquent.

once we were in the house she was all about cookies and recall again.

Like Ceana, Daisy is not at all interested in food treats when we're out for a play. I try to figure out ways to use the frisbee toss itself as the treat!

(We work on recall, sit, stay, roll over, heel, and anything else I can think of that's doable at the beach -- any ideas?)

When Keegan and I were dong agility, I used a tug toy as a reward because he was CRAZY about tugging. He was not at all interested in food and often times this is the case. I would find either something really yummy...like a hot dog (which worked sometimes for Keegan) or something she likes to do like play frisbee. I wouldn't throw the frisbee until you get the behavior you would like to see.

There may be just too many other things going on for her to be interested in food when at the park. Try to find another way to reinforce/reward her. A tug toy, like Keegan's mom, or the frisbee itself like Shoresdog, both might work great for Ceana.

Don't worry about the food itself. It's not that big a deal. You can even teach her to tug, some dogs go nuts for a squeeky toy, Buzz loves to have the back of his neck scratched very firmly, etc.

Ruth n the BC3

Cookies? what are cookies :D ? Seriously, Missy could care less about most training treats - they just seem to get in the way with her. She would much rather have praise or her ball for a reward. Kipp really likes his treats but they won't always hold his attention either.

I told her all done and went to sit on a nerby bench as she would run up within feet of me, crouch (The serious crouch not the puppy pouncing one) and then repeat from a different angle.
It sounds like she could be trying to play with you (catch me if you can!). For a treat to be more effective in this situation, A) go to the park when she's hungry, and :rolleyes: use something that smells and tastes really, really yummy (freeze dried liver, cheese, ). Another idea is to turn and take a few steps away from her while calling (catch ME if YOU can)

Yeah, Black Jack wont take any treats when we're playing either. Just throwing the frisbee is enough of a treat for him :rolleyes: