BC Boards

Can I stop licking?

My last dog (aus cattle dog) licked when he was a pup, but I got him to stop pretty quickly with "No."

My BC doesn't care. I'd go as far as to speculate you could squirt him with vinegar water, and he would still lick.

I feel bad saying NO to an affectionate behavior, but I hate getting slimed every time he's excited.

If I could just curtail the licking... So he at least didn't try to lick faces, I'd be happy.

Though I have to admit its funny... Sometimes my wife will sit on the floor with her back to the couch, and he will sneak behind her, then launch a surprise lick attack directed at her ears.

He's definitely the most affectionate lap dog I've EVER encountered.

aka meandbadge.

when i first got Badger he was a year old and licked like no other dog i had ever owned, like you say, it was funny and the more i laughed the more he would lick. It did get too much in the end cos he did it to everyone, i felt awfull when i had to stop him, Badge can speak volumes with his facial expression.The word no had no effect, he would give me a strange look and then start all over again. In the end i resorted to blowing in his face, a sharp quick blow with a sort of poof sound through purssed lips, if you get my meaning. His little face would jump back, he would try again but after acouple of blows he would stop, it may have been the sound that took him aback but it soon worked. He soon learned the word "enough" after that so i could let him lick a couple of times and then give him the command. He was happy with that, he still is, he is so affectionate it seemed a shame to stop him altogether. I hope it works.

I know what you mean about crazy licking! :rolleyes:

Of you ever want to get his therapy dog certification (to go visit people is hospitals and stuff) the dog is not allowed to lick during the test (giving a "kiss" on command is OK but no other licking).

The most common ways to stop the licking is Bitter Apple spray. Have a little bottle handy and when he licks - open his jaws and spray in his mouth. You can also spray what he is licking (your face for example) but it is kind of sticky and really gross to have on you so I suggest just spray in the mouth.

The other way that we usually get the dog to stop is a "lip pinch". It sounds really nasty but it isn't that bad. When he licks just grab (like you are going to pinch) one of his lips and hang on - you don't really even pinch at all, just sit there holding his lip for several seconds then let go and say "good dog" for not licking. That will usually get the dog to stop after a few repetitions.

The other thing is the blowing, I was going to that (because it is so easy) but she just learned to like and lick even more! So for some dogs that isn't enough of a correction..

Sorry Bustopher, go to your crate for thinking it! :rolleyes:

I don't know what Jackson would do if he couldn't lick! I have got him so that when he is in my face, I will say, (fake mad voice)don't you lick me! and he will hold his nose close to mine, with the most sorrowful look in his eyes till I say, okay, lick! Then he is so happy! Slime or not, he is so happy, I don't care! I just make sure my face and his are never within tongue distance when we come back from working sheep! (sheep poop breath!)

When I first read the title for the post, I was thinking, well, never mind, no room in crate with Bustopher!

Both my BC and my Yapillon are lickers. It's cute sometimes, but other times I just am really not in the mood for a squishy wet tongue to slime every inch of bare skin.

The only two things that have worked so far for my two:

1.) Bare teeth, growl "knock it ooooffffff" and turn away from the dog. This works with my BC, but my Pap just runs in front of me and manages to snag a few more licks before I can move again. He's fast.

2.) If you clicker train, this works quite well (unfortunately it doesn't work well with voice markers). I've used this on both of my dogs and on a few rescues with licking obsessions.

Step 1 - Arm yourself with a clicker and some treats/toy/whatever. Let the dog lick you. As soon as the dog pauses for even half a second, click and treat. Allow the dog to resume licking, and again c/t any pauses. If the dog stops licking entirely and just looks at you, "jackpot" him.

Step 2 - Once the dog understands that a pause in the licking = click, gradually increase the amount of lick-free time required in order to get a click. If the norm for the dog is 1-2 seconds, build up to 5 seconds, then to 10, 20, etc. This takes forever for some dogs but BCs are very sharp and seem to understand right off the bat what they are supposed to be doing. I didn't have to train past "step 1" with my BC, the licking ceased almost immediately when he was rewarded for stopping.

Step 3 - Keep extending the lick-free time if the dog is persistent enough to keep trying to lick after he recieves his reward. Tie in the verbal command. I use "don't lick". Original, eh?

Not sure if either will work for your boy, but it'd be worth a shot.

don't know what Jackson would do if he couldn't lick! I have got him so that when he is in my face, I will say, (fake mad voice)don't you lick me! and he will hold his nose close to mine, with the most sorrowful look in his eyes till I say, okay, lick! Then he is so happy! Slime or not, he is so happy, I don't care! I just make sure my face and his are never within tongue distance when we come back from working sheep! (sheep poop breath!)
LOL!! We get the exact same thing here!

Dazzle will stop, but then she just looks soooo sad! I always give in! :rolleyes:

I was taught to give a low growl and when the dog backs away say good dog in a high pitched vioce.

It only took me one day to end the non stop licking from Ari by doing this.

It has to be done each time the dog licks with a quick good dog after.