BC Boards

laid back or just due to age?

i know that one of the things that we should expect with a bc is its boundless energy and need for mental stimulation. That's what i prepared for at first, but the more i observe, the more i notice how clover's is a very good companion kind of dog. she doesnt enjoy a walk on the trail as much as our lab and is not that energetic either. she is very protective of me and would rather spend her time lounging at home most of the time. she is definitely very curious pup but just not excited about physical exercise. actually, she sleeps alot too. is this probably due to her young age? she's about 5mo.

It could be her age, but there are mellow BCs out there. My guy (Aussie X BC mix) is mellow, which is a Godsend, because it would have been a disaster otherwise since we had NO experience with dog ownership when we got him, lol

It might be that she's just a laid back BC. There are very different kinds of BC's. High energy, and laid back. Ever since I have known Black Jack he has been pretty laid back. Not that he doesn't love walks, playing, running, and just snooping around. But he does love to cuddle up on the couch after playing or jogging with me outside.

My guy is also very laid back. He loves a good walk in the woods once a day, and another one around the park, but that's enough for him - he's happy to be with me in the house, lounging, the rest of the time. Meanwhile, the BC at our training group is one of those "coiled spring" types - reminds me of how a typical BC is supposed to be. I also had no experience with the breed, so I'm lucky I got a mellow fellow.

Both my BCs are laid back. I got River at 8 wks and she was always a mellow pup. When she plays, she plays. When there's a ball nearby there's not stopping her (well, there is, I trained for it, lol). But she has an off switch. Both my BCs are EXCELLENT companions. Ready to go when I am, but willing to wait as needed. It may not be just age.

I have 3 bcs and one that is on the mellow end of the spectrum and always has been, one girlie in the middle with a great on off switch...although it sometimes gets stuck in the "ON" position, and a 7mo old pup who doesnt know the meaning of relax as of yet, but we're working on lit

Oreo (mix, mostly BC) has always been lazy as heck. She does greatly enjoy her trips to the park (where we walk around the perimeter and she sniffs everything) and she always runs a lap of my parents' yard to check for squirrels, but given a choice I usually find her asleep somewhere. She's always been like that.

Zoe, who could even be purebred BC, not sure, is very spunky, very active.... but has a very good off-switch. When playing she's nuts, full out running, growling, "beating up" the cat, throwing toys around, etc.... but if I'm sitting down she's usually laying down at my feet somewhere. Like right now. She HAS the energy... she just knows when to shut it off. (And she's always been like that, when she was a pup she'd fall asleep more though.)